Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,981 of 15,268
Missed today's delivery twice. Can't wait for tomorrow! Will chime in on X2 impressions once I get it

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,983 of 15,268
If there's anyone here in the US who are past their return window and wants to sell their X2s due to this earpad issue, please pm me. I'll be glad to take this "problem" off your hands.

Alternatively, if you have just sent yours back to Amazon, let us know here. I'm sure a few of us would like to grab an open-box one at a discount.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,985 of 15,268
I won't even bother looking for ink. Because, guess what? It's something that gets washed off.

What are you guys doing, chewing on your ear pads, scared of getting sick from it? Please.

I'm keeping mine.  Like I said, my raw denim jeans bleed more dye in 30 minutes of wearing them than my X2 earpads ever will over its useful life.  But to Sundown's defense, the amount of dye (and oily stuff) that came off his earpads was excessive.  

Let's all be honest here.  We've all returned headphones for a variety of trivial reasons.  :)

I think Sundown returning his X2 because of the dye transfer issue is no more trivial than the excuses/justifications that each of us has come up with in the past to return headphones.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,988 of 15,268
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,989 of 15,268
I got my X2 Christmas day and now have 5-6 hours listening and 20+ burning in. I use a Headroom Total Bithead and iTunes with ALAC Redbook on a 2011 MacBook Pro. My other full size headphones are a pair of modded Sennheiser HD 580s with HD600 grills and a HD650 cable and some Grado SR125s with stock cable, new stock ear pads, and a lambskin headband. Also own (but not used for this review) TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable, Senn Amperior, Ety HF2, UE TF.10 Pro (981/1000), and MEElec A151P. My main system is DefTech BP-6Bs, Arcam A80, Schiit Bifrost Uber USB, fully upgraded Pro-Ject Debut III, and Audioquest cables. I listen to hip-hop, pop, and rock. Most of my headphone listening is with my computer. The tracks I used for evaluation are Daft Punk's Give Life Back to Music from Random Access Memories, Dinosaur Jr.'s Pierce the Morning Rain from I Bet on Sky, and Kendrick Lamar's Money Trees from Good Kid M.A.A.D. City. 

First off, I love the X2. They have a great sense of space, wonderful mids, and deep bass. I've been most impressed with their ability to preserve dynamics in recordings, but bass reproduction is a close second.

Comfort:  HD580>X2>SR125

The Senns are slightly more comfortable due to the large ovals and foam vs the pure circle and elastic of the X2, but that's splitting hairs. Both sets are insanely comfortable and wear well for several hours. The Grados are very light, but the foam isn't soft and sits on the ear rather than around your head. The Grado headband has no clamping force, so they're not very secure either. Not great for long listening sessions or when you have to move around. The Senns and X2 both stay put. 

SQ: All three are equal, but for different reasons. The HD580 is neutral and smooth with good detail retrieval, the SR125 is quick and airy, and the X2 is a great all-rounder with decent detail retrieval, fantastic dynamics, better bass than both, and a hint of warmth. 

The X2 is slightly more mid-forward than neutral which gives them a warm feel, but it's only noticeable in A/B tests with the Senns. The Senns are crazy neutral and don't dig as deep as the X2 or have the treble extension of the X2. The Senns aren't as dynamic as the X2. The Grados aren't either. The Grados are faster than the X2 and have a boost in the presence range. The Grados have better attack and speed- the X2 and Senns both feel slow in comparison, like the difference between BA and dynamic IEMs. The Grados isolate notes much better than the X2 or Senns, but that clarity comes from their speed and a boost in the presence range. Definitely not neutral, but lacks the bass impact to be truly V shaped. 

My immediate impression is that the HD580 and X2 have nearly identical neutral signatures, with the X2 having more solid bass, a slightly bumped up midrange, and a better sense of space and dynamics. The X2 is slightly less smooth than the HD580, but the detail is still all there. The differences are slight except for bass response and dynamic performance. The extra bass extension is immediately noticeable, dynamics take a few listens to hear the differences. Against the Grados, the X2 sounds fuller but slightly less realistic, especially with cymbals and snares. 

Overall, the X2 is fantastic. It's comfortable and sounds great stacked against a fun headphone and a true (if aging) reference headphone. I only need one set of full size cans, and I'd be happy to keep the X2. I'll be selling the SR125 and HD580 because I've found my keeper set of cans. Check the FS section for the listings. 

Edit: Will report back here with Fidelio X2/Fiio X5 impressions when the X5 arrives. My X5 hasn't shipped yet, but I plan on using it to replace the Total Bithead as a USB amp/DAC with the added bonus of playing off the grid too. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,990 of 15,268

Thanks man! Returned mind, my 3rd & last unit is on the way, hopefully all goes well. 

To those w/ the purple Alien substances, do you get itchiness around / on your ear?

I did at the beginning when I first had them. Now it's barely noticeable, if not at all. I move my jaw and the itch goes away unless it's at the top of the ear cup on my hair.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,991 of 15,268
I think I'm going to keep mine. I wore black socks everyday for the past 10 years. No tumors on my feet, but then again there was never any ink blotches of that sort. I'm thinking about tossing them in the washer but afraid I may ruin the padding. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,992 of 15,268
I recently purchased the x2 after many hours of reading reviews and wow they are great but I have one strange issue with the vocals in music , they are not centred they seem to be slightly pushed over to the right side its only slight but is noticable and its bugging the hell out of me how strange I'm using the I basso dx50 with them and never had this problem with my last pair of iems the shire se 535 any ideas of what's going on here guys .

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,993 of 15,268
I recently purchased the x2 after many hours of reading reviews and wow they are great but I have one strange issue with the vocals in music , they are not centred they seem to be slightly pushed over to the right side its only slight but is noticable and its bugging the hell out of me how strange I'm using the I basso dx50 with them and never had this problem with my last pair of iems the shire se 535 any ideas of what's going on here guys .

what do u mean by pused to the right?
it could be an imbalance issue between the two cups where the right cup has more vocal presence.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,994 of 15,268
What I mean by pushed to the right when I refer to vocals I mean that vocals are not dead centre if that's the right terminology its very weird I have never had that before with my iems do you think that there is something wrong there .you say imbalance I think I might have to send them back .

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,995 of 15,268

I got my X2 Christmas day and now have 5-6 hours listening and 20+ burning in. I use a Headroom Total Bithead and iTunes with ALAC Redbook on a 2011 MacBook Pro. My other full size headphones are a pair of modded Sennheiser HD 580s with HD600 grills and a HD650 cable and some Grado SR125s with stock cable, new stock ear pads, and a lambskin headband. Also own (but not used for this review) TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable, Senn Amperior, Ety HF2, UE TF.10 Pro (981/1000), and MEElec A151P. My main system is DefTech BP-6Bs, Arcam A80, Schiit Bifrost Uber USB, fully upgraded Pro-Ject Debut III, and Audioquest cables. I listen to hip-hop, pop, and rock. Most of my headphone listening is with my computer. The tracks I used for evaluation are Daft Punk's Give Life Back to Music from Random Access Memories, Dinosaur Jr.'s Pierce the Morning Rain from I Bet on Sky, and Kendrick Lamar's Money Trees from Good Kid M.A.A.D. City. 

First off, I love the X2. They have a great sense of space, wonderful mids, and deep bass. I've been most impressed with their ability to preserve dynamics in recordings, but bass reproduction is a close second.

Comfort:  HD580>X2>SR125

The Senns are slightly more comfortable due to the large ovals and foam vs the pure circle and elastic of the X2, but that's splitting hairs. Both sets are insanely comfortable and wear well for several hours. The Grados are very light, but the foam isn't soft and sits on the ear rather than around your head. The Grado headband has no clamping force, so they're not very secure either. Not great for long listening sessions or when you have to move around. The Senns and X2 both stay put. 

SQ: All three are equal, but for different reasons. The HD580 is neutral and smooth with good detail retrieval, the SR125 is quick and airy, and the X2 is a great all-rounder with decent detail retrieval, fantastic dynamics, better bass than both, and a hint of warmth. 

The X2 is slightly more mid-forward than neutral which gives them a warm feel, but it's only noticeable in A/B tests with the Senns. The Senns are crazy neutral and don't dig as deep as the X2 or have the treble extension of the X2. The Senns aren't as dynamic as the X2. The Grados aren't either. The Grados are faster than the X2 and have a boost in the presence range. The Grados have better attack and speed- the X2 and Senns both feel slow in comparison, like the difference between BA and dynamic IEMs. The Grados isolate notes much better than the X2 or Senns, but that clarity comes from their speed and a boost in the presence range. Definitely not neutral, but lacks the bass impact to be truly V shaped. 

My immediate impression is that the HD580 and X2 have nearly identical neutral signatures, with the X2 having more solid bass, a slightly bumped up midrange, and a better sense of space and dynamics. The X2 is slightly less smooth than the HD580, but the detail is still all there. The differences are slight except for bass response and dynamic performance. The extra bass extension is immediately noticeable, dynamics take a few listens to hear the differences. Against the Grados, the X2 sounds fuller but slightly less realistic, especially with cymbals and snares. 

Overall, the X2 is fantastic. It's comfortable and sounds great stacked against a fun headphone and a true (if aging) reference headphone. I only need one set of full size cans, and I'd be happy to keep the X2. I'll be selling the SR125 and HD580 because I've found my keeper set of cans. Check the FS section for the listings. 

Edit: Will report back here with Fidelio X2/Fiio X5 impressions when the X5 arrives. My X5 hasn't shipped yet, but I plan on using it to replace the Total Bithead as a USB amp/DAC with the added bonus of playing off the grid too. 

Good review. Loving my X2, more so after 150+ hours use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back