Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,606 of 15,268

I agree with your HD650 description, but I also find the X2 sub-bass rolled off at least compared to other headphones like HE400, HE500, HD800 or LCD2. This two songs sound very sibilant to me with the fidelio X2

I don't hear any sibilance, sorry. Either your ears are sensitive to a certain frequency or your X2s are flawed.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,607 of 15,268

I agree with your HD650 description, but I also find the X2 sub-bass rolled off at least compared to other headphones like HE400, HE500, HD800 or LCD2. This two songs sound very sibilant to me with the fidelio X2

No sibilance from the X1, pretty sure that there's none from the X2.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,609 of 15,268
  Question for those that ordered the X2 from amazon, did it ship in a cardboard box or was it just the manufacturer's box? I'm worried about ordering these and having someone steal them. 

Cardboard Box.

anyway, Head-Fi's Winter gift guide is rigged. The X2 isn't on it. :D  

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,610 of 15,268
  Question for those that ordered the X2 from amazon, did it ship in a cardboard box or was it just the manufacturer's box? I'm worried about ordering these and having someone steal them. 

Amazon.it, cardboard box.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,611 of 15,268
When I bought my HD650 new, I chose them very carefully after listening to quite a few headphones. I bought the X2 and sold the HD650. The HD650 has a very inviting 'organic' sound with a really nice midrange that makes them an easier listen than the X2, but like some others here I agree that the X2 is clearer superior overall. They're a more satisfying listen.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,612 of 15,268
  When I bought my HD650 new, I chose them very carefully after listening to quite a few headphones. I bought the X2 and sold the HD650. The HD650 has a very inviting 'organic' sound with a really nice midrange that makes them an easier listen than the X2, but like some others here I agree that the X2 is clearer superior overall. They're a more satisfying listen.

I have a lot of respect for HD650 because it made headphone listening possible for me, as many headphones sounded just wrong when I first wanted to buy a nice pair of headphones a few years ago. Most headphones sounded too bright, shrill, muffled etc. However X2 takes HD650 sound to another level. Adds more bass (especially sub bass), sounds more clearer, has better soundstage, doesn't roll off highs, sounds more exciting and fun while still retaining core HD650 qualities such as being forgiving and musical. I know that X2 is not as forgiving as HD650 but it's not meant to be. Only by being too laid-back like HD650 that level of forgiving sound can be achieved.

On another note, I'm still waiting for Meridian Explorer2 to arrive. I'll write about its synergy with X2 once it does.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,613 of 15,268
I currently have the Bottlehead crack+speedball for my senns hd650 and hd580, and I also have the fidelio X1.

I might want to sell the Senns and the X1 and get the X2 but how does it stack with the Bottlehead amp? I must say that when I connect the x1 to the bottlehead it's defenitely better then on my laptop or cowon j3. But ofcourse it's not a good match. It's just that I'm not hearing anything wrong. Would this be a good set or should I also sell the bottlehead crack and get another amp?

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,614 of 15,268
  I currently have the Bottlehead crack+speedball for my senns hd650 and hd580, and I also have the fidelio X1.

I might want to sell the Senns and the X1 and get the X2 but how does it stack with the Bottlehead amp? I must say that when I connect the x1 to the bottlehead it's defenitely better then on my laptop or cowon j3. But ofcourse it's not a good match. It's just that I'm not hearing anything wrong. Would this be a good set or should I also sell the bottlehead crack and get another amp?

@HolyCheese I am using my X2 with my Darkvoice TH336SE and getting great results (tubes are not stock, I have a bunch of tubes and generally prefer RCA, Chatham or Zaerix military 6AS7G tubes on the back and Psvane, Sylvania brown base or Shuguang 6sn7 on the front). I prefer to use it only with that OTL amp. Since Bottlehead Crack and DV336SE have similarities like being OTL design and tubes in use, I think it will be good for your future X2 as well.

X2 is the most versatile headphone I have ever seen. Can be used from a  Sansa Fuze (without an amp) and sound great, can be used with an 336SE and sound even better...

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,615 of 15,268
I think output impedance of Crack is too high for X2. The sound will probably be too polite and loose compared to an amp with low impedance output.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,616 of 15,268
I think output impedance of Crack is too high for X2. The sound will probably be too polite and loose compared to an amp with low impedance output.

With all do respect @Baycode have actually tried it and report great synergy. I'd be pretty surprised if he haven't tried it with his Geek Out or other low impendance sources for comparison......

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,617 of 15,268
I have been using it with iDSD micro (1/3 volume pot normal setting) and DX90 235/255 low gain. More ore less the same power requirements that Momentum over ear and Sound Magic HP150. Fidelio X2 is clearly superior in sound quality than those.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,618 of 15,268
With all do respect @Baycode have actually tried it and report great synergy. I'd be pretty surprised if he haven't tried it with his Geek Out or other low impendance sources for comparison......

I have tried it directly from 0.47OHM output of GO720,

and

prefer to use it this way:  GO720 -> DV336SE -> X2   
wink.gif

(YMMW)

..and I have to add, @HolyCheese already mentioned that he likes the sound of his X1 through Bottlehead Crack. Same impedances for both HP's.  Since he already own Crack, it would be better for him to try X2 first and report us
wink.gif

And a side note, some people are mentioning Vali and Lyr synergy in other thread...

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,620 of 15,268
I own Fidelio X1. Is there any reason to update to X2? I know the cable now has lower impedance, the ear pads are now replaceable and the headhphones can now fit to a larger head. But what about the musical differences between these two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back