Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #108 of 250
Has anyone listened to Loreena McKennitt's "The Mask and Mirror" album first track "Mystics dream". On my 598 it sounds great. There is no harshness to her voice. With the X2, he voice sounds like some one dialed up the treble to the maximum. On the other hand, in Pink Martini's "Hey Eugene" album title track, the drum beats have a crispness with the x2 that is lacking in the 598. With classical music, they are both good but comfort wise, I like the 598. I am very torn. Also I tried taking off the pads and one of the pads got the fabric stretched. Oh well. I am still very torn between just returning the x2 or keeping both. I tried listening to some movies like "Dark City" in bluray and the 598 sounded better with male voices. Is this because the mid frequencies are kinda laid back in the x2? I am using a NAD T775hd for all my tests. The source is lossless audio from my Mac mini through hdmi to the NAD. I use audirvana to play. The movie is Blu-ray Disc from a Sony bluray player playing a lossless track.

Mystic Dream sounds perfect on mine

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #113 of 250
I wonder if I got a bad one then. Why would it have so much treble on mine. :pensive:

The treble on both my WOOX and Gibson pairs is harsher than on my HD598.  It's not night and day but it is what it is.

I also think you probably have a WOOX pair because the Gibson is less harsh due to the bass smearing the signature.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #114 of 250
The treble on both my WOOX and Gibson pairs is harsher than on my HD598.  It's not night and day but it is what it is.

I also think you probably have a WOOX pair because the Gibson is less harsh due to the bass smearing the signature.

Mine says Gibson on the box and woox on the head strap. Also, I am starting to get an itch near my ear when I wear it for an hour or so. I am starting to like the sound but the itch is bothersome. I am going to try it for two more days and see if I am going to keep it or not. Another weird thing happened. I listened to Mystics dream again this time from my iPhone 6s Plus instead of my NAD. Also my source was a 256 Kbps AAC instead of a lossless track. The treble I had before was not there as much. I wonder if the lossy music got rid of some of that !

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #115 of 250
Was looking to see what people's impression of the X2's were.  I found this thread so I decided to open my pair from the Amazon deal.

Gibson on the box, Woox on the head strap and, no channel imbalance.  Since everything seems fine to me, I am not going to bother with trying to get the pads off.  It sounds good through my WA6-SE.

I usually just use a damp rag to clean the pads while they still are on my headphones.

I probably break these in later as I am enjoying my TH-X00s.  These seem a little more neutral out of the box.  The TH-X00s seem more lively to me.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #120 of 250
Got my second replacement from amazon. Still gibson on outside and woox on headband. Must be glued as well. Damn... still waiting on my Schiit stack to be shipped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back