Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Apr 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #841 of 1,061
Dont let your mind get puzzled. Just buy the X2. You wont regret. Vocals are neither recessed nor up front. They are in line with the wide soundstage. If I A-B them with its DJ brother -Philips A5Pro- X2 seems to sound slightly recessed for vocals but after some time my brain adjusts itself to the new sound (and soundstage) and X2 starts to feel perfect. Why ? Because A5Pro has in your face vocals (and narrower soundstage) and while A-B'ing you may feel that the vocals are recessed with X2 - which is really not the case. I can only advise you to get the X2 and/or try it yourself. If its not working for you may return or sell it.

Thank you for your advice, I'll write a little comparison with the HE 400 when I get them.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #842 of 1,061
Really I just wanted some more feedback, I already searched all this thread before (read also all the review on this site). Some seam to imply that it is very detailed while other people say that even if they are detailed they are smooth and non fatiguing. The mid-range seems forward for somebody while for somebody else is recessed. My primary interest is vocals. Probably I'm just being paranoid and don't want to waste anybody's time. So sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Depending on what headphone you are used to, the sound of x2 will be interpreted differently.

I am used to sennheiser sound, laid back, smooth, tight bass but small quantity
On x2 i got more forward sound, fun, boomy bass.

If you come from something like grado, then i bet x2 will sound slow, boring and veiled.

Regarding vocals, i think there is not many that can beat hd600/650 in $300 price bracket. That's only my opinion though

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #844 of 1,061
Hi All.
I own a Fiio E07K which is the only amp I own. .
I need some help deciding on whether to go for the X2s or the K712PROs.

I'd use it for general desktop. Gaming, watching TV shows/movies and listening to music.

The X2s are AU$399 in Australia and I can find a pair of brand new K712PROs for AU$367.65 on eBay from a private seller. Which is why I'm quite urgent to get some help and opinions on what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tia!

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #845 of 1,061
Hi All.
I own a Fiio E07K which is the only amp I own. .
I need some help deciding on whether to go for the X2s or the K712PROs.

I'd use it for general desktop. Gaming, watching TV shows/movies and listening to music.

The X2s are AU$399 in Australia and I can find a pair of brand new K712PROs for AU$367.65 on eBay from a private seller. Which is why I'm quite urgent to get some help and opinions on what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tia!

I haven't heard K712 but had K701 and my K7xx is on the way. As a general allrounder I'd suggest you to get the X2.

May 1, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #847 of 1,061
I have a Norne Audio Vanquish cable for X2s at a bargain price in the classifieds if anyone is interested...

http://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/feedback/index/user_id/6457

May 1, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #848 of 1,061
Is it just me that loves the smell of the pads on the X2? That might sound weird lol, but anyway, i ripped some Trance CD's to FLAC from artists like ATB and Above & Beyond and wow, these sound incredible! My STX II has a high output impedance but doesn't seem to make any difference, surely there can't be many headphones out there better than these, would the Fiio X5 pair well with the X2?

May 2, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #849 of 1,061
I was reading about pad material earlier. Made me think my M2 might be doing bass a little better not just because they are closed back, but because the leather creates a better seal on the M2 than velour of the X2.

I would love to get my self a set of leather or plether ear pads for my X2, and about 5mm more depth as well.

May 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #850 of 1,061
I was reading about pad material earlier. Made me think my M2 might be doing bass a little better not just because they are closed back, but because the leather creates a better seal on the M2 than velour of the X2.

I would love to get my self a set of leather or plether ear pads for my X2, and about 5mm more depth as well.

Maybe worth the try, but comfort wise i doubt you can top the pads they come with.

May 3, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #851 of 1,061
Is it just me that loves the smell of the pads on the X2? That might sound weird lol, but anyway, i ripped some Trance CD's to FLAC from artists like ATB and Above & Beyond and wow, these sound incredible! My STX II has a high output impedance but doesn't seem to make any difference, surely there can't be many headphones out there better than these, would the Fiio X5 pair well with the X2?

Even without an amp X2's sound very satisfying with the FiiO X5.  The volume level is around 75-85 with plenty of headroom to spare.  Full-rounded
bass presence.  Treble seems recessed but my ears prefer that rather than more upfront treble cans.  The X5/X2 scales nicely with the addition of my
Cayin C5 amplifier or even the less expensive Fii0 E7 amp.  The bass boost option is probably overkill on most recordings but it does make me smile
with how well the Philips Fidelio X2 delivers the bottom frequencies.  If your into Trance you're in for a treat!

May 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #853 of 1,061
Well well....Got them today, and only had time for only a few test tracks. But....three little words:

Oh. My. Word.

Straight off the bat the plaudits are indeed deserved. I simply cannot fathom how these phones serve up such beauty, such scale, such 3 dimensionality, such power and poise. For so little dosh?!!! It's shocking really. I'm running them thru the Schiit Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2. A match made in sonic heaven. My Senn 650 cannot touch these! Truly a bargain if ever there was one...and from memory the X2 reaches LCD2 levels of enjoyment. Wow..just wow.

The Senny's are going on ebay.

May 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #854 of 1,061
Well well....Got them today, and only had time for only a few test tracks. But....three little words:

Oh. My. Word.

Straight off the bat the plaudits are indeed deserved. I simply cannot fathom how these phones serve up such beauty, such scale, such 3 dimensionality, such power and poise. For so little dosh?!!! It's shocking really. I'm running them thru the Schiit Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2. A match made in sonic heaven. My Senn 650 cannot touch these! Truly a bargain if ever there was one...and from memory the X2 reaches LCD2 levels of enjoyment. Wow..just wow.

The Senny's are going on ebay.

Welcome to the X2 club
beerchug.gif
  glad to hear that you're enjoying them!

May 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #855 of 1,061
Welcome to the X2 club :beerchug:   glad to hear that you're enjoying them!

Thanks to your wonderful spot on review Baycode mate. I seriously would never have investigated these cans if not for that one passionate post! The cans are burning in nicely as im pink noising overnite then listening thru the day lol. But they sound great from the beginning. Cheers to ya fella!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back