Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #559 of 1,061
  The Schiit Vali sounds excellent with the X2`s. Delighted with the synergy.

What sort of change do they give the X2's? I'm not experienced with tube/hybrid amps so wouldn't know the sound... guessing could be hard to explain.

Wondering if worth it to go dac/amp with my X2's or just use it straight from my soundcard.

With indepedency issues on some amps with the 32ohm and seems like the masses are split even on 50/50 on if a amp is really needed with the X2's really stuck on if I need 1 or not.

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #560 of 1,061
Have you heard X2 or L2 or you just can't handle diferent opinion?

I read your contributions, and to put this to rest:

You were giving strong impressions of the L2 being superior, even if you constantly said it was your personal opinion, by reiterating you were establishing a theme which was pushy and caustic.

The L2 are darker than the X2, they have good speed for what little bass extension they have, but they are not acoustically superior.

You may prefer the signature of the L2, but saying that the qualities of the L2 are superior is false, since they are not so subjective as to change actual measurable data. The L2 are extremely good headphones, for sure, but they are not better than the X2. This is not saying the L2 are bad, rather it proves just how good of a job Philips has been doing.

If you prefer the forwardness and enthusiasm of the L2, then that is up to you, but please refrain from confusing readers by using terminology generally reserved to experienced listeners. I like the L2 very much, and they are much more portable and easier to drive than the X2. However, I cannot deny that the X2 are better sounding headphones. It isn't a matter of preference (my statement), rather a product of the actual sound precision and boldness.

In conclusion: Nobody minds that you are expressing a preference, it is how you are expressing it that rubs people the wrong way. You can prefer the bass, sub bass and treble distribution of the L2 over the X2, but calling the X2 dark is not a matter of preference, that is a matter of actual sound, being projected, and quantified. The quantity of the X2 is on par or greater than the L2. Your perception of the distribution is yours alone, but your language use suggests it is measurable and factual (read: Universal).

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #562 of 1,061
  Also, I am impressed by how the X2 managed to be different to the X1 without devaluing either option. Can't wait for when my 7XX arrive to do a comparison.

Sort of my holy trinity at the moment.

Looking forward to your comparison of the X2 vs. 7XX.  Was sorely tempted to jump in on the 7XX but refrained because I already had the X2.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #564 of 1,061

I think they said there would be 6000 total available....
There will be more drops. I am still fighting with myself on this one.
I have the X1 and like it fine...
Along with way too many other phones. Waiting for delivery of the HE 560 too!
X2 or 7xx ???

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #565 of 1,061

I think they said there would be 6000 total available....
There will be more drops. I am still fighting with myself on this one.
I have the X1 and like it fine...
Along with way too many other phones. Waiting for delivery of the HE 560 too!
X2 or 7xx ???

If 7XX sounds anything like Q701, X2 is a thousand times better than 7XX. I hated Q701 with a passion (bought without trying). My ears hurt after 30 minutes of listening to it, it caused so much ear fatigue. Harsh treble and non-existant bass is just some of the things I hate about Q701. Not to mention the complete lack of musicality.

By the way I don't like HE560 either. I auditioned it for an hour, it's too clinical and dry for me. I prefer X2 over them. I just prefer musical headphones in general. LCD3 is much better than HE560 (given the price it should be), Oppo PM-1/PM-2 is also better I think. They say HE400i is musical though, but I have not tried it.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #566 of 1,061

I'm using them with laptop but I've just bought Meridian Explorer2, you might want to check it out. I don't think you need separate amp and dac for X2. 

I'm interested in pairing an Explorer2 with my X2, but the Explorer2 is so new I'm unable to find reviews or try it myself before buying. Are you planning to share a (mini) review of the X2 + Explorer2 experience?

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #567 of 1,061

What sort of change do they give the X2's? I'm not experienced with tube/hybrid amps so wouldn't know the sound... guessing could be hard to explain.

Wondering if worth it to go dac/amp with my X2's or just use it straight from my soundcard.

With indepedency issues on some amps with the 32ohm and seems like the masses are split even on 50/50 on if a amp is really needed with the X2's really stuck on if I need 1 or not.

I wish I had experience with other headphone amps to give you some comparisons, but I do not. It is the only Headphone amp I own (apart from the Fulla).

Having experienced tube amps with stereo systems, I think the synergy on this pair is great, but perhaps it is more to do with musical preferences. If electronic is your thing, then SS may be a better option, or tubey(hybrid) may be irrelevant.

For acoustic, jazz or other types in that genre, to me tube amps are smoother (warmer?) and again, this could be preference. I listen to all sorts.

I didn`t have a choice really, since the volume outputs from Lumia 920,Surface Pro 3 and my desktop mini system were of an inadequate sound level without amplification.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #568 of 1,061

I'm interested in pairing an Explorer2 with my X2, but the Explorer2 is so new I'm unable to find reviews or try it myself before buying. Are you planning to share a (mini) review of the X2 + Explorer2 experience?

Yes, but I have not received Explorer2 yet. :) I bought by signed for mail and there were no one at home when the postman tried to deliver it on Friday (someone has to sign for "signed for" mails, obviously :) ) so he left a message that said I could take it from the post office. I'll get in on Monday and write a mini review. Explorer2 supports MQA (master quality authenticated) feature by Meridian, so I wish I could find some songs with that feature. Apparently Meridian made some demonstrations with MQA mastered songs (it has to be applied at mastering stage) and many people thought it really made a difference in sound. Meridian is not about marketing but about actual improvements in sound quality, so I believe them when they say something is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back