Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 2, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #526 of 1,061

The E7 has enough power for the X1/X2. The E9 has a 10 Ohm output impedance and is meant for higher impedance headphones (80 Ohm and greater). Using the X1/2 with the E9 will result in boomy, peaky bass, kinda like a subwoofer in a ported enclosure that's too small and tuned at 60 Hz.

Tried running the E7. Is it just me or do the mids become muddy? Maybe it was just the song but I decided to run the cans straight from my computer and it sounded way better. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #528 of 1,061
Anyone thinking of buying Samsung Galaxy Tab S, go get it, sounds amazing with X2. I have been enjoying it for around 2 weeks and the freedom of not needing an amp is great...

Thanks for the tip there Bay.  Will lend my X1's to my old man (he loves his Samsung tab S) and see what he thinks of it. He has a hearing aid in one ear...... difficulty on horizon :)

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #530 of 1,061
I'm really enjoying these. About the only thing I don't like is the headphone cable's physical properties. Also for my use the length is way to long.

By physical properties I mean the cable tends to kink up as I wrap it up. I'm not put off by the cloth like outer wrapping, but I seems to be more of a facsimile of old fashioned power cord without much body to it. In other words I don't like the limp, easily bendable/kinkable quality of the cable. I guess I'd like to see more of the physical properties of a Moon Audio type cable.

I'm also seeing and or hearing that I've kind of hit sort of a wall at about 20 hours of burn in. I'm a little less thrilled with the sound when I went back to them. I know some don't believe in burn-in. I do. I'm hoping this is just a slump or perhaps due to the fact I've switched IOS sources from a iPhone6 iPad Air 2. I need to find time to get them back on my desktop system too.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with these. Maybe im being too picky? I'm certainly not giving up on them by any means. I'll have more time to play with them starting a week from now for a period of two weeks.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #531 of 1,061
I'm really enjoying these. About the only thing I don't like is the headphone cable's physical properties. Also for my use the length is way to long.

By physical properties I mean the cable tends to kink up as I wrap it up. I'm not put off by the cloth like outer wrapping, but I seems to be more of a facsimile of old fashioned power cord without much body to it. In other words I don't like the limp, easily bendable/kinkable quality of the cable. I guess I'd like to see more of the physical properties of a Moon Audio type cable.

I'm also seeing and or hearing that I've kind of hit sort of a wall at about 20 hours of burn in. I'm a little less thrilled with the sound when I went back to them. I know some don't believe in burn-in. I do. I'm hoping this is just a slump or perhaps due to the fact I've switched IOS sources Crome iPhone 6 to an iPad Air 2.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with these. Maybe im being too picky? I'm certainly not giving up,on them by any means. I'll have more time to play with them starting a week from now for a period of two weeks.

I don't know about burn in myself, but it seems like most of the argument is that you adjust to the new sound, not the drivers changing.  Some believe both of those are true, but there's no proof that the drivers emit different sound with most headphones after a burn in.  I can say that I think the idea of you getting used to them is true, at least for me.  My old phones broke so I had to go to my backup until these came in, and my backup ones are pretty bad.  However, after a while of using them they sound better.  I think it's just simply our brains adjusting to the changes and trying to pick up the differences. 

Then again, it could just be a placebo, but typically they don't work on a person with the mind set like myself. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #532 of 1,061
If there is such a thing as burn-in I can't wait to hear it, because these sound pretty good out of the box! Ok, my HE-400 edges it out in the bass department but everything else seems better. Certainly I'm enjoying classical alot more on the X2's.

Comfort-wise they're soft and cushy but perhaps I'm having a little irritation in the area around the jawline.

I'm running them out of a Denon DA-10 which might be overkill (can't find the output impedance of them anywhere, bass might be a little flappy?).

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #533 of 1,061
Does anyone know if there are any attachable boom mics that will work with these? As far as I understand, the v moda boompro will work with other headphones but they made the x2's with a smaller jack correct? If I could get something like a boompro to work with these and someone made soft leather pads (like the momentums) so I could alternate, these would be ordered already. I owned and absolutely loved the x1's but I'm not the biggest fan of velour and wasn't a huge fan of the brown but got rid of them before buying a boompro which probably would've made me keep them

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #534 of 1,061
Does anyone know if there are any attachable boom mics that will work with these? As far as I understand, the v moda boompro will work with other headphones but they made the x2's with a smaller jack correct? If I could get something like a boompro to work with these and someone made soft leather pads (like the momentums) so I could alternate, these would be ordered already. I owned and absolutely loved the x1's but I'm not the biggest fan of velour and wasn't a huge fan of the brown but got rid of them before buying a boompro which probably would've made me keep them

Well, you could try the ModMic. It's often the recommendation if a can can't fit a BoomPro on it.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #535 of 1,061
Okay, now that I'm loving the X2's more. So of course I have to gild the lilly.

Can anyone recommend one of the Schitt tube amplifiers for the X2. Would a tube amp. sound be too warm? (Or a hybrid if it would not sound overly warm) I'm currently using a PS Audio GHCA which I like, but I'm yearning try a tube amp. 

I'm looking at the Asgard Valhalla2 or the Lyr2 for use with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. My other headphone is an HD-650.

Finally I'd really like to replace the cable on these. Any suggestions?

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #536 of 1,061
  Okay, now that I'm loving the X2's more. So of course I have to gild the lilly.

Can anyone recommend one of the Schitt tube amplifiers for the X2. Would a tube amp. sound be too warm? I'm currently using a PS Audio GHCA which I like, but I'm yearning try a tube amp. 

I'm looking at the Asgard Valhalla2 or the Lyr2 for use with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. My other headphone is an HD-650.

Finally I'd really like to replace the cable on these. Any suggestions?

I think that only the Valhalla is a real full tube (OTL) amp. The Lyr is a hybrid tube pre amp with SS output stage. Asgard is all SS.
Or did I miss something??

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #537 of 1,061
Why not like thread starter uses - Darkvoice 336SE ?

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #538 of 1,061

I think that only the Valhalla is a real full tube (OTL) amp. The Lyr is a hybrid tube pre amp with SS output stage. Asgard is all SS.
Or did I miss something??

Thanks for pointing this out. I modified my original post to include hybrids. I think I would like lush sound but not too warm. So maybe the Lyr would work.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #539 of 1,061

I had a Lyr 2 for awhile and liked it OK. It had the stock tubes. I ended up giving it back. I kept my Sunrise III from Garage 1217. You might see if you can try a Sunrise or Ember. While it is not a tube design, I got a Polaris from them a couple of months ago. It is a great little amp that uses an FET design to give a sort of semi tube sound. It sounds really good with my X1. It is also very flexible for tuning many things such as output impedance and FR curves. You can make it sound considerably different with different combinations of the settings. I wouldn't call it a real warm amp, but definitely it can be made to lean that way if you desire.

Just maybe a few others to throw into the mix. These guys don't get as much press around here as I think that they should!

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #540 of 1,061
Finally had time to rotate my X2, HD650, Blue Mo-Fi (built-in amp. off) and B&W P7 through my desktop system using AIFF files today over a 6 hour session. I have got to say that the X2 is really doing it for me. Whatever is happening, whether it be breaking in or my brain adapting to these new headphones I hope it doesn't stop being good sound. Sometimes the great, controlled bass just makes my ears wiggle in a good way!

Oli Silk's "All We Need" CD, Stevie Nicks "24 Carat Gold", Bruce Cockburn's "Breakfast in New Orlean's" (you've got to hear the "Blueberry Hill" cover) are sounding great. The vocals sound realistic and not buried or over accentuated. The combined vocals on Modest Mouse's The "Moon and Antarctica" sounds very good.  I'm hearing great "decay" on the piano on all of my files that contain piano. The drum beat and electric guitar grit sound incredible on Robert Plant's Lullaby and Ceaseless Roar "Turn It Up"!

Wearing comfort has gone from good to very good, Though I still give the HD-650's the comfort edge. I'm guessing these leak sound like crazy based on what I can hear in a non-quiet room (family t.v. going).

I'm still not enamored with the 1920's lamp cord headphone cable regarding look, feel, and fold up storage. I'd rather have a thinner plastic cable or a fatter Moon Audio style fabric skinned cable. I know this is just visual. I have nothing against the performance of the stock cable.

I want to thank Baycode for convincing me to try these via his review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back