Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jan 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #676 of 1,061
I just got the x2 in about 30 minutes ago.  First reactions:

*very comfortable-great pads, suspension headband is excellent, weight is reasonable

*the mids are much better than I expected-very close to the hd650

*sub bass has more weight than the hd650

*the treble doesn't seem as sparkley as I'd expected

Now got to burn them in....

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #677 of 1,061

*very comfortable-great pads, suspension headband is excellent, weight is reasonable

Awesome, keep us updated. Can't wait for the final comparison!

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #678 of 1,061

I got the LCD X today, sold my Alpha Prime, and reordered the X2, missed the X2 after two days!

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #680 of 1,061
After an hour, I'm very impressed with this hp. It's really tough to enjoy mids coming from a die hard hd6x0 lover. The mids on the x2 don't give up much if anything to the hd650. This is with no burn in. The sub bass is a little bloomy, but I suspect that with time it will tighten up.

The x2 is very nicely constructed if not a little odd looking. It really needs to have a dual exit cable from cups. Also, as it shows on the box this is an "at home" set of cans. So IMO it should come with a 1/4 plug instead of 1/8 with an adapter. Of course you can easily obtain a replacement.

The earpads are amazingly comfortable and I'd like to set the memory foam used by other manufacturers. A set of these pads for the hd6x0 would be incredible.

Other than what I've mentioned, it's really hard to find a lot of fault with these. If the sub bass tightens up and they "flesh out" a little with burn in the x2 will be a serious contender in the mid-fi market.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #681 of 1,061
My feelings exactly, the bass will get better after a couple of days, if not sooner.  I used a Hitachi hiFC cable to make an upgraded cable, and the cable improved the sound even more.  I'm getting a TH900 cable from Mark Lawton for $35 to make another cable for the X2!

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #682 of 1,061
I really like low to medium listening levels on the x2 ( I listen at these levels most of the time, seldom loud ). Just went through my test tracks...my opinion continues to continue rising. Now I just went through A Perfect Circle: 13th Step. The bass slam is just excellent and kicks like a pissed off mule! This is a very nice hp indeed. I'll contain my excitement and let them burn in and then put them up against the other big hitters in the mid fi market.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #683 of 1,061

Really? I found the mids thin and grainy compared to the HD650. Only headphones  I found close to the HD650 were the LCD2, Annies, HE400i and HE500 but more so the LCD2.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #684 of 1,061
I'll have to give it some time. Let them burn in and then do some a/b. If they don't match the hd6x0, they are certainly in the same neighborhood. The hd6x0 on the Crack or wa3 produces all time favorite mids. I'll have to see just how close these are over the next few days.

Regardless of the result, these are very good hp's and flat out fun to listen to. So very very engaging. I keep forgetting to analyze the sound and find myself just jammin' out with them.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #685 of 1,061
I'll look forward to our impressions. I'll prob revisit them again as it's not the first time I've changed my opinion after more test. They seemed smoother than the older X1 for sure, I hated the mids on those.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #687 of 1,061
Well, after a 24 burn in period there is a dash more tightness/texture on the sub bass which is all I was hoping for honestly. A few brief impressions here now that I've had a day to absorb the signature.

This headphone is a fair bit better than I had imagined it would be. When I get a new hp in, I typically love, like or hate it. And my opinion rarely changes more than a few degrees from the initial impression unless...there is an amp mismatch or the hp's benefit significantly from burn in. My vsonics changed 180 degrees from about 200 hours of burn in.

What I like:

There are two, maybe three, aspects of the x2 that really stand out for me. The first is the performance that it offers in the sub bass. My God is it punchy and tight. This is not "fun bass" aka m50. This is real audiophile bass with texture and does not bleed into the mids. It's linear to the recording which I really appreciate. It was slightly bloomy on first listen but has tightened up nicely overnight. It doesn't have the speed of planar mag bass, which means the decay is a little slow. And it doesn't quite match the texture and full extension of the lcd2.2, but it does put you in that neighborhood. Even on the Crack or wa3 (both with boutique tubes) the hd600/650 gets spanked by x2 on merit of the sub bass. The d5k is the only other dynamic driver hp that offers this level of sub bass, but the d5k was somewhat one note and was not linear...it punches up the bass irrespective of the recording.

Next, the sound stage is impressive. The signature is presented both wide and deep. Instrument separation is top shelf and the presentation just has a nice air and openness that the hd600/650 can not match. The sound staging is the first thing that gets your attention after the luscious sub bass is noted.

Finally, the build quality is exceptional. The x2 reminds me of a tank built by BMW...leather, metal, finely appointed. It's exudes class and craftsmanship. The suede covered memory foam pads are some of the very best in the game.

What I don't like:

I don't care for hp's with a single exit cable. It feels and looks "unbalanced, unfinished." The black halo that Philips called the headband is some what ridiculous. I look pretty much moronic wearing these and so will you. But you know what, I just don't care.

The mids take a slight backseat to the hd6x0, but it's nothing that keeps me from enjoying vocal-centric music...jazz and acoustic pieces come across with rich smooth mids.

Okay, that's all for now. Another couple days of burn in and then I'll get into some more serious comparisons to other mid fi heavy hitters.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #688 of 1,061
I think I look quite cool wearing X2s. Maybe we should all post pictures wearing them? 
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #690 of 1,061

Users who are viewing this thread

Back