Philips Fidelio X1, wow I'm impressed
Jan 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

hifihead

100+ Head-Fier
I got this headphone for $250 on amazon. I think it is easily worth 2-3 times the price. I like this headphone as much as the Hifiman HE-500 which is $700. The X1 is as beautiful in person as it is in pictures. It has a solid quality feel to it. I’m powering the X1 with the Schiit Magni. I think it synergizes quite well. The Magni has plenty of power.
    The first thing you notice on the X1 is the bass. The bass is well extended and not boomy or muddy. Although the bass could be a little tighter like my Sennheiser HD800. The X1 has deep bass and not just mid-bass. The bass is not overpowering either. It doesn’t drown out the mids and the treble.
    The X1 mids I’m glad to report is not recessed. Some of the reviews said it had recessed mids, but it doesn’t. The mids are not forward either. Piano sounds very natural and never bright. Piano can sometimes be bright on the MS1i. Vocals on the X1 sound very natural.
    The treble is well extended and sparkly without being bright. The HD800 has even more extended treble without being bright, but it can sometimes be a little sibilant on vocals. My Alessandro MS1i has much brighter treble. The crash of cymbals on the X1 are very satisfying and non fatiguing unlike the MS1i.
    The X1 soundstage is average. Wider than the MS1i, but significantly narrower than the HD800.
    The X1 is very smooth sounding. The MS1i is not very smooth and somewhat grainy sounding. I listen to mostly jazz and the X1 does jazz just fine. Not in the same class as the HD800, but the HD800 is $1500. The HD800 has so much clarity and detail, but the X1 is not lacking in these areas either.
    The X1 is a very comfortable headphone. Not as comfortable as the HD800, but I have no problems with the comfort. I wish the ear pads were changeable though.
    I am very impressed with the X1 especially for the price. It far exceeded my expectations. It is a fun headphone that outperforms the MS1i by a good margin. I highly recommend them. I don’t think you will be disappointed with them if you are looking at the $700 and under price point.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 34
Yeah, they are very well made. I'm shocked at how good the X1 sounds. I enjoy these as much as my HD800. Technically the HD800 is a better the better headphone, but it is so analytical that is can sometimes it can be an unengaging listen. The X1 is such a fun and enjoyable headphone. It's a great headphone regardless of price.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 34
My X1's just arrived yesterday and I'm feeling the exact same about these cans as other reviewers. Very, very impressed so far. Just to get a better idea of my personal frame of reference, I also own, or have owned these headphones:

DT990 32ohm
AKG K550
Denon D600
Sennheiser HD595 and HD558
Audio Technica A900X and M50

Up until now, the K550 has been my personal favorite. Using these on a Schiit Vali and the sound is just so smooth. I'm going to do a full review of these for the main Fidelio X1 thread once I have another week of listening completed. I'll try to be as critical and objective as possible, but its going to be hard to hide just how excited I am about the X1's overall.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 34
I definitely buy these, but non removable pads ruin everything.

That was exactly what I thought.   It's very rare for me to get interested in any midrange dynamic headphone, but this one piqued my interest quite a bit for some reason. When I read that the pads are non-replaceable I lost all interest.

edit:
Is it me or do these look like what happens when a Grado and an AKG get drunk and end up in bed together??

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 34
Sounds great, but how you can compare it with HD800.
eek.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 34
  I got this headphone for $250 on amazon. I think it is easily worth 2-3 times the price. I like this headphone as much as the Hifiman HE-500 which is $700. The X1 is as beautiful in person as it is in pictures. It has a solid quality feel to it. I’m powering the X1 with the Schiit Magni. I think it synergizes quite well. The Magni has plenty of power.
    The first thing you notice on the X1 is the bass. The bass is well extended and not boomy or muddy. Although the bass could be a little tighter like my Sennheiser HD800. The X1 has deep bass and not just mid-bass. The bass is not overpowering either. It doesn’t drown out the mids and the treble.
    The X1 mids I’m glad to report is not recessed. Some of the reviews said it had recessed mids, but it doesn’t. The mids are not forward either. Piano sounds very natural and never bright. Piano can sometimes be bright on the MS1i. Vocals on the X1 sound very natural.
    The treble is well extended and sparkly without being bright. The HD800 has even more extended treble without being bright, but it can sometimes be a little sibilant on vocals. My Alessandro MS1i has much brighter treble. The crash of cymbals on the X1 are very satisfying and non fatiguing unlike the MS1i.
    The X1 soundstage is average. Wider than the MS1i, but significantly narrower than the HD800.
    The X1 is very smooth sounding. The MS1i is not very smooth and somewhat grainy sounding. I listen to mostly jazz and the X1 does jazz just fine. Not in the same class as the HD800, but the HD800 is $1500. The HD800 has so much clarity and detail, but the X1 is not lacking in these areas either.
    The X1 is a very comfortable headphone. Not as comfortable as the HD800, but I have no problems with the comfort. I wish the ear pads were changeable though.
    I am very impressed with the X1 especially for the price. It far exceeded my expectations. It is a fun headphone that outperforms the MS1i by a good margin. I highly recommend them. I don’t think you will be disappointed with them if you are looking at the $700 and under price point.

It's $150 @amazon right now.  Time to chat cust.rep! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back