Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #46 of 373
Quote:
How do these compare to something like the M100?  I know it's open vs. closed, but I'm not all that interested in portability.  I like the bass quantity/quality on the M100 but they lack in comfort and the slightly recessed mids, so I'm always looking for the next great headphone.  

Any thoughts from anyone who's tried both since they are essentially in the same price range?  TIA.

haha, m100 get smoked by x1 like ocandy from a kid

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #47 of 373
Quote:
There will naturally be some products that overperform and some products that underperform at every price segment.

Every headphone in the price range underperforms relative to the Fidelio X1.

I don't see how it's an issue for you to thin the herd when you save so much money.

i will be looking at overall shelling out a ton all for nothing. I would rather keep what I bought and that is why I try to be careful with what I buy, but not careful enough with how many I buy

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #49 of 373
Quote:
The X1 could more than likely obsolete the rest of your collection, and more than pay for itself after you sell your other headphones.

how much should I sell used ones for? from 60%-90%

and yeah I have been meaning to sell because people tell me to, and it would make me less of a weirdo and less strain obviously when I move to places. 

What I question the most though is what it means for me to have them, i think it matters more than the money. Come to think of it, was everything just a crazy obsession stemming from reviews that overglorified it all? I didn't buy the x1 because I loved the sound to death, I  bought it because of you people here, just like every other headphone I bought because I live nowhere next to an audio store with all the good schiit, 

come to think of it, why do people write over the top reviews ? I suppose you can't just say they want to lure everyone else into paying for what they liked--cus if they like something why would they actually want to give away the secret for free?

Of course people always say take everything people say with a grain of salt, but hey it's music business, it's emotional..

I am by no way bedazzled by x1's details, it's not going to convince me to sell my k702, but when I did listen to the k702 it did not handle certain massive scale music that well.. there is the burn in issue for tube, amp headphone and ear too. but I don't have time to strictly test them all///

if I have time it would certainly be a task to sort out the best of the bunch and then I can sell it.

I try not to be that serious about it--i mean, yeah I love to save some bucks but sometimes it feels good to be able to jump back and forth different cans and maybe it will mean something for me to have them around, although I may not know about it yet.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #50 of 373
how much should I sell used ones for? from 60%-90%

and yeah I have been meaning to sell because people tell me to, and it would make me less of a weirdo and less strain obviously when I move to places. 

What I question the most though is what it means for me to have them, i think it matters more than the money. Come to think of it, was everything just a crazy obsession stemming from reviews that overglorified it all? I didn't buy the x1 because I loved the sound to death, I  bought it because of you people here, just like every other headphone I bought because I live nowhere next to an audio store with all the good schiit, 

come to think of it, why do people write over the top reviews ? I suppose you can't just say they want to lure everyone else into paying for what they liked--cus if they like something why would they actually want to give away the secret for free?

Of course people always say take everything people say with a grain of salt, but hey it's music business, it's emotional..

I am by no way bedazzled by x1's details, it's not going to convince me to sell my k702, but when I did listen to the k702 it did not handle certain massive scale music that well.. there is the burn in issue for tube, amp headphone and ear too. but I don't have time to strictly test them all///

if I have time it would certainly be a task to sort out the best of the bunch and then I can sell it.

I try not to be that serious about it--i mean, yeah I love to save some bucks but sometimes it feels good to be able to jump back and forth different cans and maybe it will mean something for me to have them around, although I may not know about it yet.

I like to think that most of the people on this forum try their best to explain how a headphone sounds and if it sounds good or bad to them. This is so they can help other people make educated decisions. After all, one cannot fully judge a headphone without listening to it.

I have personally come to terms with the uncertainty. It's part of the hobby. It can be a bit trying at times but remember most everyone here is trying to help. You just have to wade through the hype and research, research, research. It also helps to purchase from a retailer with a good return policy. :wink:

While I do agree it is easy to get swept up in the hype of glowing headphone reviews, the ultimate decision is up to you.

As for the X1, I am standing my my comments. They are a fantastic set of headphones.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #51 of 373
Quote:
I like to think that most of the people on this forum try their best to explain how a headphone sounds and if it sounds good or bad to them. This is so they can help other people make educated decisions. After all, one cannot fully judge a headphone without listening to it.

I have personally come to terms with the uncertainty. It's part of the hobby. It can be a bit trying at times but remember most everyone here is trying to help. You just have to wade through the hype and research, research, research. It also helps to purchase from a retailer with a good return policy.
wink.gif

While I do agree it is easy to get swept up in the hype of glowing headphone reviews, the ultimate decision is up to you.

As for the X1, I am standing my my comments. They are a fantastic set of headphones.

In some cases though (such as with the X1), you read enough hype from enough respected people, and it becomes somewhat obvious that the hype is generally reality, and that there is a good chance that you'll be happy with them. It is at that point that resistance becomes futile lol!

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #52 of 373
Quote:

In some cases though (such as with the X1), you read enough hype from enough respected people, and it becomes somewhat obvious that the hype is generally reality, and that there is a good chance that you'll be happy with them. It is at that point that resistance becomes futile lol!

resistance becomes lower than the thresold-.-

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #53 of 373
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372784085&sr=8-2&keywords=x1%2F28

The X1 is currently $275 on Amazon! :eek:

Go get it!

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #54 of 373
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372784085&sr=8-2&keywords=x1%2F28

The X1 is currently $275 on Amazon!
eek.gif

Go get it!

And it's now doing the Amazon Shuffle. Gotta love how rapidly their prices can change. But it's a good sign. Means there's interest which should be good for whatever company bought the Fidelio name, I'm blanking on that right now. Hopefully they'll keep making products like this.

And while I'm at it, they're $250 at Sonic Electronics. And then I guess some kind of free portable grill if you spend over $200. Doubt it's a high quality grill then. :p

Also word is an additional 10% off with coupon code SEMOBILE10. Might have to be on a mobile device to get that, I think. Final price $224.96 according to the deals thread.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #55 of 373
Quote:

And it's now doing the Amazon Shuffle. Gotta love how rapidly their prices can change. But it's a good sign. Means there's interest which should be good for whatever company bought the Fidelio name, I'm blanking on that right now. Hopefully they'll keep making products like this.

And while I'm at it, they're $250 at Sonic Electronics. And then I guess some kind of free portable grill if you spend over $200. Doubt it's a high quality grill then. :p

Also word is an additional 10% off with coupon code SEMOBILE10. Might have to be on a mobile device to get that, I think. Final price $224.96 according to the deals thread.

What????????????and now it';s out of stock/

this just shows how much they could have been sold at--

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #56 of 373
not trying to sidetrack.;..but

I have just been listening to the x1, and it occurs to me--what is real good headphone?it's an old question, but it's a good one. When we listen to music, what are we trying to find? What is the purpose of a good headphone because that's the standard that defines whether they are good....i mean we are all told that certain headphones are better and to be honest, I don't even feel like I have an original less to say objective ear anymore I am just listening for the sake of it, like something is lost from when I first listened to a good pair of headphone , a good pair of reference headphone, till all the countless hours spent on forums and now what, is this hobby ever going anywhere for people? Cus there is always going to be better more expensive headphones.

which reminds me of the song I always listen to audiotioning cans--more than this by Vanessa Carlton. I listen to music obsessivly especially when I get a new set of cans, I would stay up all night just for the sake of testing it out with all my favorite songs, and it takes forever, but it's never good for my health. 

I wish listening to music can be a pure and simple experience. I also wish I have a girlfriend to share the music with, but I suppose most of us don;'t have one or even if we do we don't share the headphone hobby with them-0--it's not like we are going to use some belkin split with 2 pairs of hd800 plugged in there--or well, I guess some amps have 2 outputs at least./.so that's a possibility, except if it's open cans there are crosstalk, and if it is closed cans there is only going to be eye to eye communication..

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #57 of 373
I think the reason X1 has a distinct appealing sound-- at least to me-- is because of its great presentation of a package of bass presence, mellow mid, and clear highs. I think this is a can that can bring music back to hifi.

It feels kinda laid back, almost not as engaging as some akg or sennheiser cans  which tends to have way more comparatively over the top mids which may be good if you want to lost yourself in the music, but the x1 is not about that. x1 is more about just presenting the music to you in a more preservative approach, and it is quite another experience. Strictly speaking yes it's not a detail monster of a can. But it's more than good enough for its price tag, and it seem to do many other things well making the whole sound experience more complete. 

What is the point or definition of a perfect sound? Different people and different headphones have their own understanding of it. 

Isn't that good though, diversity.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #58 of 373
I think the x1 is too unengaged for vocal. if we are quoting Queen Cerses then there should not be a middle ground. I would rather pin x1 as simply recessed in the mid. I would call that out just so people are aware of the issue. When people buy expensive cans for music and listen to vocals and don't get engaged as much it really defeats part of the purpose, depending on situation. Definitely something to consider when choosing x1.

But I disagree with your statement that vocals cannot sound good or the mid just goes through the song. The approach is not only good in movies and games, it all depends on the listener's taste.

For songs that are fun or cynical, you want x1. For songs that are heartbreaking, you would appreciate something else more.

Also I find the treble on X1 kind of sugarcoated and wrapped and twisted. It is certainly never piercing, but it never feels detailed and enthralling either. The more I listen the more I realize the x1 is not a pair of can to expect wow factor out of. It is really just that girl next door vibe. A very sexy girl next door, but still a girl next door.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #59 of 373
Quote:

But I disagree with your statement that vocals cannot sound good or the mid just goes through the song. The approach is not only good in movies and games, it all depends on the listener's taste.

Are you talking to yourself?

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #60 of 373

Ws99 all over again.

Looks like I'll be getting these. I wonder how they compare to my mdr ma900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back