Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #31 of 373
I completely agree with this review.  Excellent analysis!  

I was just thinking to myself while listening to the X1s that I have finally found a headphone that not only gives me that fun, warm sound all while retrieving excellent detail and imaging in a large soundstage.  It's a feat that I personally haven't seen done this well until I heard the X1s.  The X1s are seriously making me reconsider my entire headphone library right now, which include the T1s, Signature Pros, MA-900s, HP100s and HM5s.  

I'm not saying the X1s are better than all of those but it all comes down to which headphones I reach for.  Since getting the X1s they are the only ones I am listening to.  They handle music superbly and when gaming, I get all of the satisfying bass and explosion sounds all while still being able to pin-point and image with great precision.  

I am seriously very impressed with these cans.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #32 of 373
Great review mate, loving the photography also
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 373
Problem with that being that the Beyer pads aren't memory foam, and not as dense. Undoubtedly going to alter the sound signature. I expect less bass, more treble, by a bit. And if you use the 770 velours, you can expect MORE bass, and a muddying up of the sound. I'll call it here first.

The most logical replacement at least i terms of denseness and feel, would be the AKG memory foam velours, but that uses AKG's locking design...

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #36 of 373
Quote:
Problem with that being that the Beyer pads aren't memory foam, and not as dense. Undoubtedly going to alter the sound signature. I expect less bass, more treble, by a bit. And if you use the 770 velours, you can expect MORE bass, and a muddying up of the sound. I'll call it here first.

The most logical replacement at least i terms of denseness and feel, would be the AKG memory foam velours, but that uses AKG's locking design...

Hmm well hopefully some people will try different pads and report back, I ordered some X1 anyway because at least if the stock pads do wear out it is possible to replace them with other pads, maybe a little bit of DIY needed but should not be too hard. If It was totally impossible to replace the pads then I would not have bought them, however it really is a bit poor at this price range, considering the other materials and removable cable.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #37 of 373
Mid-fi? If these are mid-fi, then I hate hi-fi.

When these are compared favorably to the likes of the T1, Signature Pro, W3000ANV and even the TH-900, I am inclined to sympathize with your sentiment.

Long live the Fidelio X1. I know it will be my first recommendation for anyone exploring this price range (and that in most cases it will be the correct recommendation).

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #38 of 373
Quote:

Hmm well hopefully some people will try different pads and report back, I ordered some X1 anyway because at least if the stock pads do wear out it is possible to replace them with other pads, maybe a little bit of DIY needed but should not be too hard. If It was totally impossible to replace the pads then I would not have bought them, however it really is a bit poor at this price range, considering the other materials and removable cable.

Why would Philips not have pads for these? If they go on, they must come off.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #39 of 373
Someone needs to contact Philips and see if they at least offer the pads for sale. Sure, we'll have to rip them off and find a way to glue (or double sided tape) the replacements but I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm just wondering how they'll handle warranties with Funai taking over, etc.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #40 of 373
Quote:
When these are compared favorably to the likes of the T1, Signature Pro, W3000ANV and even the TH-900, I am inclined to sympathize with your sentiment.

Long live the Fidelio X1. I know it will be my first recommendation for anyone exploring this price range (and that in most cases it will be the correct recommendation).

hmm, I agree with everything you are all saying, but to say that x1 is a killer mid fi just make me feel sad about my collection of mid fi cans sitting around. It's not like i want to part way with any of them, because I don't get why people can simply dish out 300 bucks and then don't like it and sell it for 250, giving them nothing but a minus 50 bucks to their bank account.

Better than minus 300 sure, but is it really worth more selling than keeping?

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #41 of 373
To some of us with low income, yes. I make... very little, despite my impulses. Logically, there is no need to have so many headphones anyways. Most of them will just collect dust until you feel like you wanna listen to them just for the sake of listening to them and not because of a legit reason.

I wish to have more than the X1, but I know it'd be a waste.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #42 of 373
Quote:
Someone needs to contact Philips and see if they at least offer the pads for sale. Sure, we'll have to rip them off and find a way to glue (or double sided tape) the replacements but I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm just wondering how they'll handle warranties with Funai taking over, etc.

They don't look that difficult to remove.  It looks like you just break the weak glue seal, pull them out of the aligning pins, and they come off.  They go back on the same way. 

If ear pads are offered or made available, it looks like you could replace them. The process isn't convenient, but at least it's possible to do.

Time for someone to contact Philips about it?

popcorn.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #43 of 373
Quote:
To some of us with low income, yes. I make... very little, despite my impulses. Logically, there is no need to have so many headphones anyways. Most of them will just collect dust until you feel like you wanna listen to them just for the sake of listening to them and not because of a legit reason.

I wish to have more than the X1, but I know it'd be a waste.

yeah..

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #44 of 373
How do these compare to something like the M100?  I know it's open vs. closed, but I'm not all that interested in portability.  I like the bass quantity/quality on the M100 but they lack in comfort and the slightly recessed mids, so I'm always looking for the next great headphone.  

Any thoughts from anyone who's tried both since they are essentially in the same price range?  TIA.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #45 of 373
hmm, I agree with everything you are all saying, but to say that x1 is a killer mid fi just make me feel sad about my collection of mid fi cans sitting around. It's not like i want to part way with any of them, because I don't get why people can simply dish out 300 bucks and then don't like it and sell it for 250, giving them nothing but a minus 50 bucks to their bank account.

Better than minus 300 sure, but is it really worth more selling than keeping?
There will naturally be some products that overperform and some products that underperform at every price segment.

Every headphone in the price range underperforms relative to the Fidelio X1.

I don't see how it's an issue for you to thin the herd when you save so much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back