Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 - New IEMs with semi-closed back
Sep 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #241 of 367
Both are comparable in detail but where the S2s for me separate themselves is the wider stage, aboslutely wonderful bass end a more even balanced sound vs the spikes in the highs of the GR07. The monitor like 2D flatness some might equate to more accurate but it also equates to a more boring sound imo. The S2 suffer none of that.  I sold off my GR07 a while ago and I don't miss them.Gr07 fans might not like to hear it but I think the S2 is better in every way. Much better than the EX600s I sold off as well. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #242 of 367
  Both are comparable in detail but where the S2s for me separate themselves is the wider stage, aboslutely wonderful bass end a more even balanced sound vs the spikes in the highs of the GR07. The monitor like 2D flatness some might equate to more accurate but it also equates to a more boring sound imo. The S2 suffer none of that.  I sold off my GR07 a while ago and I don't miss them.Gr07 fans might not like to hear it but I think the S2 is better in every way. Much better than the EX600s I sold off as well. 

Thank you so much for your reply ;P I saw on your profile, that you have had so many headphones... ;P  And one of them is SONY MH1. Could you shortly compare Philips S2 and Sony MH1 ( Which I have also now) ? Where are the biggest differences between these two ?
Do you think that Philips S2 is the best choice in sub 100$ category iems, when the most important things for me are:
1. Great subbas, sweet mids and sparkling top.
2. Wide soundstage.
3. Resolution and details.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #243 of 367
The direct upgrade to the MH1C is the XBA-3 but think the S2 like a dynamic version of the XBA-3 with a greater ability to expand with more power..

Where the XBA-3 is limited is there picky nature of source and because they are BA drivers they do not even come close to how the S2 can sound with some power behind them.. I own both the X3 and DX50 and all my earphones will mesh better with one or the other. Not the S2. It synergizes to both like no other iem I own..Throw these on a home set up an they sound nothing like earphones. They are that good.

The negatives would be that they are semi open so they do leak a little sound in and out but on the other hand these would not have the stage they do if they were closed in. So a give and take but if ultimately the sound is what matters.
My favorite earphones this year.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #244 of 367
Leakage of the sound is not important for me. Now I have SONY EX85, which are also semi open, and I like them a bit more than MH1. EX85 have much more bigger soundstage, and much diverse bass than MH1. On the other side, MH1 have better top,sweeter mids nad slightly better resolution, so I looking for something that would connect the best advantages EX85  and MH1 into one pair of headphones.

Dsnuts, you are so so convincing ;D  Could you tell me the biggest differences between MH1 and S2 ? Does the S2 have even better resolution, imagining, bass, mids and top than MH1?  Do you really like Philips S2 better than your FXZ200, XB90EX or Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1000?  Thank you very much for your help ;D

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #245 of 367
Yes..Other phones do this or that better but for overall sound, technicalities, full range and ability to scale..Lets just say if anything ever happened to my pair. I would immediately buy another.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #246 of 367
  Does anybody compare them to VSonic GR07? Which have better soundstage and details?  Could you compare them ?

well theres a youtube reviewer i know that has reviews of both of them and does compare one and another 
heres the link to s2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIcBL3Q1uao

heres the link to gr07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I8FEeE0u3k

he's a_recording here on head-fi pretty well respected

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #247 of 367

well theres a youtube reviewer i know that has reviews of both of them and does compare one and another 
heres the link to s2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIcBL3Q1uao

heres the link to gr07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I8FEeE0u3k

he's a_recording here on head-fi pretty well respected

Still on the fence one these atm.  I watched his review on the S2 and he mentions the MDR-7550 as his preference over it.  Can anyone share their experience with the 7550 as well?

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #249 of 367
Amazon.com just started carrying these at $99.99 for the S1 and $129.99 for the S2.  There was only 1 black S2 in stock, I made sure to order them!

Edit:  Just got them in today, only to have received them in the wrong color.  Just sent them back and was told the replacement would be shipped next month.....
mad.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #250 of 367
The nutman (aka Dsnuts) mentioned that more quality power really brings out the clarity/details/stage/separation/etc. of the S2. Thinking that I only listen to low volumes off the iPhone, how much of a difference to can it really be with more power? Curiosity got the better of me and so I decided to connect the S2 to the desktop DAC/Amp unit (Audio-GD Compass 2) and ....
eek.gif

Have to tip my hat off the nutman - why is he always right on these things?

Now I'm thinking of improving the portable rig. Any good recommendation of portable amp to tie-in with the iPhone?

Steve

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #252 of 367
$82 for S1 and $104 for S2 on Amazon.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #253 of 367
$74 for the S1 now.  Is the S2 worth $25 more than the S1?

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #254 of 367
If you're trying to order a black version of the S2 from Amazon, don't waste your time.  I just got my 2nd order in for a black one and got a white version again!  It seems they don't even carry the black one at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back