Philips Fidelio L2
Mar 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #316 of 1,146
I am not an expert in what's forward and what's recessed but I have to say I enjoy my L2s much more than my X1s. Every music I listen to is simply more fun with the L2s (using HRT microStreamer in both cases). Yes, sometimes the X1s can be a bit more airy and the stage is bigger but overall the L2s somehow hit a sweet spot with clarity, detail, bass, sound stage and lots of fun. I am happy every time I use them.

Also, the L2s are not only beautiful, they're very comfortable for me. They are light and easily cover my entire ears which are not small. Also, it doesn't get warm. Of course, this can be different for each person.

And don't worry about the non-replacable pads. I posted earlier photos here about my old L1s which I wore almost every day for two years and no signs of wearing or anything.

I bought the L2 recently and I completely agree. They're so clear and are a really enjoyable listen compared to my previous headphones (aurvana live, momentum on ear, alessandro ms1).

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #319 of 1,146
I bought the L2 recently and I completely agree. They're so clear and are a really enjoyable listen compared to my previous headphones (aurvana live, momentum on ear, alessandro ms1).

Do you agree with the assessment concerning the X1s?

Unfortunately I've not heard the X1 but the L2 sound great to me. The momentum on ears just sound muffled and the Alessandros sound very sharp by comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #320 of 1,146
Do you agree with the assessment concerning the X1s?

I've had both the X1 and L2 for about a week. Here are my 2 cents regarding the comparison.

The X1's produce lower sub-bass and more bass overall. They also have slightly more sparkly highs (not forward, just more sparkle, this is hard to explain).

The L2's don't have as much bass and the highs don't have that sparkle. However, to my ears the mids and lower treble frequencies are more forward. Also, they seem to bring out a touch more detail. So, to me they are the more revealing and neutral of the 2 (definitely not neutral compared to others though).

The soundstage is obviously the other main difference. The X1's have that wide airy soundstage typical of fully open cans, whereas the L2's sound more closed/isolated. This is to be expected.

Built quality and comfort of both is excellent.

So which would I choose if I had to pick one? It depends. The L2 is more functional, while still being enjoyable. You can pack it with you more easily, it's smaller, it's more easily driven, and it's more isolating. However, just on a music enjoyment basis, I would pick the X1 (obviously only my opinion).

Overall, I feel that there is enough of a difference between the 2 to own both and really get 2 different sound signatures. I've been pleasantly surprised (more like overwhelmed) at the quality of these cans and I expect to keep both for a long time.

Hope that helps.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #321 of 1,146
I've had both the X1 and L2 for about a week. Here are my 2 cents regarding the comparison.

The X1's produce lower sub-bass and more bass overall. They also have slightly more sparkly highs (not forward, just more sparkle, this is hard to explain).

The L2's don't have as much bass and the highs don't have that sparkle. However, to my ears the mids and lower treble frequencies are more forward. Also, they seem to bring out a touch more detail. So, to me they are the more revealing and neutral of the 2 (definitely not neutral compared to others though).

The soundstage is obviously the other main difference. The X1's have that wide airy soundstage typical of fully open cans, whereas the L2's sound more closed/isolated. This is to be expected.

Built quality and comfort of both is excellent.

So which would I choose if I had to pick one? It depends. The L2 is more functional, while still being enjoyable. You can pack it with you more easily, it's smaller, it's more easily driven, and it's more isolating. However, just on a music enjoyment basis, I would pick the X1 (obviously only my opinion).

Overall, I feel that there is enough of a difference between the 2 to own both and really get 2 different sound signatures. I've been pleasantly surprised (more like overwhelmed) at the quality of these cans and I expect to keep both for a long time.

Hope that helps.

That's really helpful for me because I'm looking for the comfort and sound of the X1 with the isolation of a closed-back headphone. I'm not picky when it comes to sound. As long as it's versatile and relatively neutral, warm, clear and 'fun', I'm happy. But it's been incredibly hard to find a pair of headphones that have the comfort and size of a 'home' headphone with the noise isolation of portable one. The portable ones I've looked at all won't fit comfortably over larger ears like mine or have short cables, while indoor headphones have open cups or require amplifiers to run efficiently.

Is the isolation on the L2 decent?

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #322 of 1,146
The isolation is surprisingly good considering they're a semi-open can. They put a "fine, woven fabric in the acoustic grille" (Philips marketing speak from the manual), which seems to help with the isolation.

I just measured the inside of the ear cups for you, they're approximately 63mm X 45mm.

I should've mentioned in my comparison above that I mainly listen to bass-heavy music like hip-hop, R&B, downtempo, and chillstep, with some blues and folk thrown in now and then.

Also, really the only negative I can say about these (other than the non-replaceable cups, which I personally don'y really care about) is that they do exhibit some microphonics.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #323 of 1,146
One difference I am starting to notice between the X1 and the L2 (both on HRT microStreamer, but it would be probably the case with a different DAC/amp) is that the X1s don't sound so good at lower volumes. The X1s need simply a higher volume to shine. They become a little bit dull at lower volumes. Whereas the L2s seem to perform very well even at lower volumes. Will test this further.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #326 of 1,146
The isolation is surprisingly good considering they're a semi-open can. They put a "fine, woven fabric in the acoustic grille" (Philips marketing speak from the manual), which seems to help with the isolation.

I just measured the inside of the ear cups for you, they're approximately 63mm X 45mm.

I should've mentioned in my comparison above that I mainly listen to bass-heavy music like hip-hop, R&B, downtempo, and chillstep, with some blues and folk thrown in now and then.

Also, really the only negative I can say about these (other than the non-replaceable cups, which I personally don'y really care about) is that they do exhibit some microphonics.

Thanks, mate! They're a little too small, but they're bigger than a lot of other portable headphones.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #327 of 1,146
  Just ordered a pair of the L2s from Amazon.it. What's interesting is that just after I placed my order for a pair the price went up by 34.11. For those who are interested, Amazon.it does indeed ship to America. They'll be here Wed or Thurs this week.

Hey, thanks for the tip...just ordered....a bit pricey but WTH
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #328 of 1,146

Hey, thanks for the tip...just ordered....a bit pricey but WTH
biggrin.gif

I kinda lucked out. If they're going to retail for $299 when they launch in the US later this year then I technically snagged them at a small discount. But then international shipping happened and canceled out the savings. :p

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #329 of 1,146
Newbie to the posting thoughts, but wanted to share my view on the L2 ... been reading everyones views on here for a while now and lots seemed to praise the X1 and then along came the L2, so I jumped for a pair.... 3 days in .... which is a lot of listening cause i have a bad knee !!   and I have to admit they are very good....cans they are replacing are some HD480's that have served their sentence for long enough...

The L2 images very well, in some ways like a good pair of speakers, instruments are well defined and clear, but in no way harsh, vocals seemed to me to be slightly recessed, not in a dull sort of way though, still very clear with no harshness, i have to say i actually prefer this after a few days of listening. The Bass is tuneful , not boomy, easy to follow, can see these would not be Bass Heads phones, but for rock, pop, just about right...

The highs have no edginess they are sweet and integrate well with the overall signature of the sound...They also have a realism to them, again much like a good set of speakers well set up accoustically....

I have plenty of headphones over the years, granted not mega expensive cans, but a good variety... but these babys can sound very likeable indeed...listening material included, Blind Lemon, Birthday Massacre, Daft Punk, Roachford, Clannad, Robert Miles...and quite a few more too...
I am happy with them at the price, paid £157 from Amazon...  oh yeah forgot... had no problem with comfort, light , good pressure on head.... actually fell asleep once !!!  cable a tad short, but then a better cable wouldnt go amiss anyway, the one included is slightly microphonic...

Oh yes.... connected via a HRT Microstreamer for all listening...  a good pairing ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back