Philips Fidelio L2
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #301 of 1,146
The headphones themselves would look good in pictures on sites on this end of the planet THAT HAVE THEM AND ARE ACTUALLY SELLING THEM!!!! :mad:

Oh, I'm sorry.
The headphones themselves would look good in pictures on sites on this end of the planet THAT HAVE THEM AND ARE ACTUALLY SELLING THEM!!!! :mad:

Well, I'm sorry. If I win Golden Ears' Fidelio L2 giveaway, I'll send it to you. ^^

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #302 of 1,146
  Pushed back till June for US but easily available in the EU and Asia. buy there?

Oh, I've found some links for them but they won't ship to Canada.

Oh, I'm sorry.
Well, I'm sorry. If I win Golden Ears' Fidelio L2 giveaway, I'll send it to you. ^^

No no no...I'm glad you posted that. I just wish Philips would get their act together and make the damn thing available....y'know?...sorta like what every other headphone manufacturer does
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #303 of 1,146

Oh, I've found some links for them but they won't ship to Canada.

No no no...I'm glad you posted that. I just wish Philips would get their act together and make the damn thing available....y'know?...sorta like what every other headphone manufacturer does
rolleyes.gif

to be fair a lot of headphone manufacturers do not bring their wares to Europe or they do with great delays. I won't even mention some of the slightly more obscure portable Amp/DAC companies like ALO. I think the interesting bit is that Philips is anything but obscure or small and you would have thought that they should have the ability to market their products world wide without massive delays.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #305 of 1,146
  The question is whether this render the X1s obsolete, or improve on them :)

I hope not. I've been wanting to try the X1's for a while now but really didn't get on with the L2's, so hope they each have their own distinct character.

Would be interested to hear what those who've owned both think about them in comparison to to one another.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #306 of 1,146
  I hope not. I've been wanting to try the X1's for a while now but really didn't get on with the L2's, so hope they each have their own distinct character.

Would be interested to hear what those who've owned both think about them in comparison to to one another.

Well, so far we hear it has: fuller mids, slightly less bass (but still very good and detailed bass), better isolation, slightly narrower soundstage, lighter, easier to drive, cheaper, and no problem with cable...

Not much has been said about treble and hf response. I'm waiting to receive my X1s right now, and it would be a bummer to see I missed out on a better deal right from the get go.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #307 of 1,146
Just as a headsup, the L2 has finally been measured by goldenears and it looks good http://en.goldenears.net/30375

But then again their X1 looked even more amazing somehow but it looked more balanced than I saw on some other sites though http://en.goldenears.net/17992

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #308 of 1,146
Just as a headsup, the L2 has finally been measured by goldenears and it looks good http://en.goldenears.net/30375

But then again their X1 looked even more amazing somehow but it looked more balanced than I saw on some other sites though http://en.goldenears.net/17992

GE uses a different compensation, which close to Olive -welti one, but not the same. Their measured fr is actually raw fr, and it looks similar to other raw measurements, including Innerfidelity.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #309 of 1,146
GE uses a different compensation, which close to Olive -welti one, but not the same. Their measured fr is actually raw fr, and it looks similar to other raw measurements, including Innerfidelity.

I'm very well aware of this, probably more than most people. I was relatively speaking. The X1 looks quite nice on goldenears versus other measured headphones on that site, even with the different compensations and such taken into account (in case of comparing headphone A vs Headphone B on goldenears and then comparing Headphone A and headphone B on innerfidelity).

Still both headphones measures well that's for sure and it's nice to see some more "mainstream" brand like Philips able to do it that isn't either charging a kidney for it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #310 of 1,146

I am new to this and the 'final appreciations' do not seem to state a qualitative difference; care to elaborate on why the X1 seems more amazing than the L2? 

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #311 of 1,146
Bump. Really interested in these cans. I have the x1 as I type, but the mid recession due to the heavy bass presence is bothering me. Plus, they don't play very loudly from my portable devices, which does matter when you're trying to compensate for the mid recession with volume (which, when it can be done, does wonders and sounds amazing).

If the L2 can preserve the detail and separation, while mellowing down the bass a bit and pushing the mids forward more, plus the lower impendance and semi-closed design, I might bite the bullet and sell these.

Now why on mother earth do they keep making these pads non-replaceable...
triportsad.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #312 of 1,146
Evening gents,

Stay tuned, I might be getting an L2 demo unit from Philips along with an M1, then I can compare the whole line.

krelianx, I think the X1 is forward in the mids. More so than most headphones. I'd say they are easily just as warm as the HD650 in the mids/bass.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #313 of 1,146
  Bump. Really interested in these cans. I have the x1 as I type, but the mid recession due to the heavy bass presence is bothering me. Plus, they don't play very loudly from my portable devices, which does matter when you're trying to compensate for the mid recession with volume (which, when it can be done, does wonders and sounds amazing).

If the L2 can preserve the detail and separation, while mellowing down the bass a bit and pushing the mids forward more, plus the lower impendance and semi-closed design, I might bite the bullet and sell these.

Now why on mother earth do they keep making these pads non-replaceable...
triportsad.gif

Mids are sadly not as forward vs the X1. It is my only real gripe with the L2 (comfort  is kind of mediocre as well).

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #315 of 1,146
I am not an expert in what's forward and what's recessed but I have to say I enjoy my L2s much more than my X1s. Every music I listen to is simply more fun with the L2s (using HRT microStreamer in both cases). Yes, sometimes the X1s can be a bit more airy and the stage is bigger but overall the L2s somehow hit a sweet spot with clarity, detail, bass, sound stage and lots of fun. I am happy every time I use them.

Also, the L2s are not only beautiful, they're very comfortable for me. They are light and easily cover my entire ears which are not small. Also, it doesn't get warm. Of course, this can be different for each person.

And don't worry about the non-replacable pads. I posted earlier photos here about my old L1s which I wore almost every day for two years and no signs of wearing or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back