Philips Fidelio L2
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,066 of 1,146
I've read all the possible reviews but i still can't find if they are good for heavy metal and rock considering also the so low amount of ohm..Otherways I would consider Beyer DT770 80

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,067 of 1,146
I've read all the possible reviews but i still can't find if they are good for heavy metal and rock considering also the so low amount of ohm..Otherways I would consider Beyer DT770 80

I don't listen to a lot of Heavy Metal these days, but the few times that I have used the L2 for the Thrash sub-genre; Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc. the L2 did about as well as expected. The problem with some of those bands mentioned here is their earliest albums suffered from poor production. But an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

Now with Rock, and that's loosely defined here, these cans do quite well with the likes of Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Tom Petty, etc.

The L2 are definitely worth a listen if you have the opportunity to purchase them. Just buy them from a retailer that has a good return policy in case it doesn't work for you.

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,069 of 1,146
How do you replace Fidelio L2 pads ?

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,070 of 1,146
the pads aren't glued on or anything, they just pull off.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,071 of 1,146
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,072 of 1,146
The memory foam doesn't cause them to be any hotter. The foam in the stock pads is the same as the one in the HM5s but it's denser/firmer/slower rebound.
The material that covers the pad is the more important part. Leather is hotter but isolates sound better. Suede/cloth is cooler and more open sounding. I got the hybrid pads which I think is a good compromise between the two.

Hello, does the leather HM5 pads change the sound signature?
You said the velore pads were better, in comparison with the leather pads, what would the main differences be?
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Cheers

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,073 of 1,146
Hello, does the leather HM5 pads change the sound signature?
You said the velore pads were better, in comparison with the leather pads, what would the main differences be?
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Cheers
I have the HM5 Hybrid pads on mine...the sound is relatively the same. The bass goes down, a tiny bit, but it is still excellent. The soundstage improves a little bit, but it is still a semi closed sound. The depth of the soundstage on these is admirable, the clarity is great...but it's not the widest/biggest sound, but it's better with the hybrids.
I still switch back and forth between the stock pads and the hybrids and overall I prefer it with the hybrids. They are more comfortable...I wear glasses most of the time and they just sit on the head better with the hybrids and they don't get as hot.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,075 of 1,146
This i hadn't considered, am very tempted to change the stock pads for different ones., if the velour is more comfortable with glasses, this would be a plus.
EDIT The best thing about going to the hybrids is that they fit comfortably with glasses. Ironically, I LOVE the stock pads...but only when I put them on my Sony MDR 7506...I think the cup on them stretches the pads out laterally and give my glasses the extra 1/4 inch they need to fit inside the cups, but still get a seal. Those pads sound AMAZING on the 7506...I wish I could get another set as a back up.
I'm sure the velour would be more comfortable than the stock pads....BUT as far as retaining the stock sound (which I would not want to change too much, it's great out of the box) I recommend the Hybrids...you have pleather sides, but the part that touches your ear is velour. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,076 of 1,146
the pads aren't glued on or anything, they just pull off.

After all this time, my pads are starting to show wear so I'm considering changing mine too. It seems the pads are stuck under the metal part of the housing though. Can I just pull them out?

Also, from the picture you posted way back, it seems like the new pads just sort of wrap around the housing rather than going under. Is that correct? If so, how secure is it?

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,077 of 1,146
After all this time, my pads are starting to show wear so I'm considering changing mine too. It seems the pads are stuck under the metal part of the housing though. Can I just pull them out?

Also, from the picture you posted way back, it seems like the new pads just sort of wrap around the housing rather than going under. Is that correct? If so, how secure is it?
The pads are just tucked under, so you can just gently pull them out. The new pads CAN be tucked under the lip, but it actually looks better just wrapped over. As far as the fit, they are totally secure, you can rotate them a little while they are on, which for me is actually a benefit: you put the headphones on, and they go around your ears, if you need to adjust the headband on your head, you just rotate it in place, and the pads stay over your ears in the proper position.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,078 of 1,146
Another option for replacement pads for the Fidelio L2 just became available from Brainwavz. If you are looking to keep something similar to the stock feel/sound of the original pads they just released a pad designed for the Sony MDR 7506. I can guarantee it will fit the Fidelio L2. I actually use my Fidelio pads on my 7506 and it's a perfect fit. The outer rims of the cups are the same dimension in width and the length is only about an 1/4 inch longer on the Sonys.
Here's the link:
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/small-oval-earpads
brainwavz_pads_oval_small_sony_pu_leather_black_gallery_3_760x.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,080 of 1,146
Cheers, I just bought the perforated Brainwavz pads. Will check back in a few more weeks probably.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts...I don't need another set, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy some just to try them out. I'm thinking of contacting Brainwavz and seeing if they will provide me with a sample...I know I recommended them here, and I am sure they will be a good replacement, but I'd love to be able to say I have a set and I know personally that they work well. I am hesitant to recommend a product I haven't actually tried.
It's cool that you got the perforated, I am very curious about those in particular, it seems like they would be a nice sidegrade in terms of creating a more open sound...my guess is the foam will be a little less firm than stock, that combined with a fenestrated pad could make for a little more open sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back