Philips Fidelio L2
Sep 12, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,036 of 1,146
Out of all of those, which Fidelio do you like best?

My guess is L2 #2...

LOL, I've not actually opened L2 #2. I got it as a backup during the Newegg sale for $69. M1 MKII #3 is also a backup I picked up during that same sale for $39.

Honestly, it depends on where and what I'm listening to. At home, I think I prefer the L2. If I want a bit more bass, I grab the L1. I'd probably give the edge to the L2, but I really like both.

My original M1 had the ear pads split (which was somewhat common, hopefully my M1MKII's don't do that). The original M1 was very bass-y but I liked it for some types of music. The M1MKIIs are definitely better balanced, and are a nice on-the-go pair of L2-ish sound. I originally got my white M1 MKII when Amazon had them for $75. I liked them so much I got a pair of black/orange on sale for at home. The second black/orange pair I had intended on swapping the pads on my original M1, but I've not gotten around to it yet (like L2 #2, it's still in the box).

Oh, and BTW, on the M1, the pads just snap off. Kinda scary the first time I tried, but they were already split so it didn't matter as much if I broke them.

And if I could pick only one.... the M1 MKII. It has sound similar enough to the L2, but it's just a bit more versatile.

Also, at home I use a Magni 2 Uber with my PC, turntable, and cassette deck. On the go, I use my HTC 10.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,038 of 1,146
I was thinking of doing the same, I don't know that you can these can be beat even at 2 or 3 times their price. Just fantastic headphones.
The Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads is around the same price of the L2, and sounds better imo. Smoother (but still with great clarity, almost 0 harshness), more natural, more balanced, more detailed.

The L2 still is exceptional at that price though, compared to what is out there at the same price.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,039 of 1,146
The Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads is around the same price of the L2, and sounds better imo. Smoother (but still with great clarity, almost 0 harshness), more natural, more balanced, more detailed.

The L2 still is exceptional at that price though, compared to what is out there at the same price.

Are they hard to drive with portables like the DT1350? I own that and they sound bad with every DAP I've paired them with.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,041 of 1,146

I checked, they seem to be 2 to 3 times what I paid for the L2.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,045 of 1,146
So my second L2 came today, and I noticed the most curious thing. The first L2 was designated as L2BO/27 and destined for sale here in the States, while the 2nd one meanwhile is the international variant. I've compared them and was taken back when I realized they sounded different. The first one sounds considerably clearer and more detailed. The latter meanwhile sounds muddier. And yes, I know that fit and headphone positioning could alter the sound a bit, so I made sure the numbered notches for positioning was at the same rung. The source was my Fiio X1. I will be sure to try the more revealing Fiio X5 II tomorrow once I receive it, but what the heck?!?

What do you guys think? Could it be that the newer phones hasn't burned in yet? Could it be that the pads on the first are older, altering the sound signature a bit? (The Groupon marketplace seller that I ordered from gave me used phones advertised as new on the website.)

I don't know! Curious, isn't it? As I said though, I'll be sure to compare them again tomorrow once I acquire a more revealing source.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,046 of 1,146
So my second L2 came today, and I noticed the most curious thing. The first L2 was designated as L2BO/27 and destined for sale here in the States, while the 2nd one meanwhile is the international variant. I've compared them and was taken back when I realized they sounded different. The first one sounds considerably clearer and more detailed. The latter meanwhile sounds muddier. And yes, I know that fit and headphone positioning could alter the sound a bit, so I made sure the numbered notches for positioning was at the same rung. The source was my Fiio X1. I will be sure to try the more revealing Fiio X5 II tomorrow once I receive it, but what the heck?!?

What do you guys think? Could it be that the newer phones hasn't burned in yet? Could it be that the pads on the first are older, altering the sound signature a bit? (The Groupon marketplace seller that I ordered from gave me used phones advertised as new on the website.)

I don't know! Curious, isn't it? As I said though, I'll be sure to compare them again tomorrow once I acquire a more revealing source.
The difference could be burn in, if the first set was used and the second isn't. I remember there was some difference between new and burned in. Not to go into the weeds too much but I saved an EQ setting and then re-EQ'd them blindly after about 40 hours and long story short it wasn't 'brain-burn-in" they definitely changed for the better. I have never seen anything to indicate that there was any difference amongst any of the L2s other than the country code.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #1,047 of 1,146
The difference could be burn in, if the first set was used and the second isn't. I remember there was some difference between new and burned in. Not to go into the weeds too much but I saved an EQ setting and then re-EQ'd them blindly after about 40 hours and long story short it wasn't 'brain-burn-in" they definitely changed for the better. I have never seen anything to indicate that there was any difference amongst any of the L2s other than the country code.

Yes, I'll definitely keep that in mind and compare them again once the second pair has burned in some. What I forgot to mention though is that both are used! But yes, one can be more used than the other, as you've stated.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,048 of 1,146

Weird, I'm not a big "burn in" guy. How long did you have the first set? I know there can be some change but it should be subtle at best.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,049 of 1,146
Weird, I'm not a big "burn in" guy. How long did you have the first set? I know there can be some change but it should be subtle at best.

I've owned the first one since Monday. The second one (also used), I've received just today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back