Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Oct 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #106 of 528
Enough to make reliable measurements and personal impressions..

Added a clause to A3... someone might very well find it a nice snappy edm/techno phone, but even for that use I find the midbass a little overbearing and mudding...

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #107 of 528
Hmm... A3 doesn't look so bad from measurements either and is significantly cheaper. The bass curve looks a lot like that of TH-600/TH-900 but I guess they can't compare in terms of quality. :p I'm unsure whether the A3 or A5 highs would be more suitable for me though, I don't like bright sound signature but the Sennheiser HD DJ series is slightly too dark for example.

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #108 of 528
Enough to make reliable measurements and personal impressions..

Added a clause to A3... someone might very well find it a nice snappy edm/techno phone, but even for that use I find the midbass a little overbearing and mudding...

Ok. Yeah, maybe they have designed them with different crowds in mind. Sounds like A5 is the way to go then.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #109 of 528
  Hmm... A3 doesn't look so bad from measurements either and is significantly cheaper. The bass curve looks a lot like that of TH-600/TH-900 but I guess they can't compare in terms of quality. :p

I don't know... they have a marginally same looking 100hz peak but Philips drops already -7dB at 20hz while Fostex is actually nearly at the same level as 100hz..

Anyway I got rid of TH900 also since yes I don't like midbass extending so far... don't you just love when all singers turn into barry white..

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #110 of 528
Hmm... A3 doesn't look so bad from measurements either and is significantly cheaper. The bass curve looks a lot like that of TH-600/TH-900 but I guess they can't compare in terms of quality. :p I'm unsure whether the A3 or A5 highs would be more suitable for me though, I don't like bright sound signature but the Sennheiser HD DJ series is slightly too dark for example.

^this The HD8DJ while great, just lacks the "sparkle" on the higher registers. Definitely considering to sell my hd8's to get these. Maybe even find someone willing to trade:blush:

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #111 of 528
 Hello. Damn my HDJ2000 break and now i need new headphones. Its really hard to know should buy these A5-Pro or V-moda M100. Hows the headband with A5? is it comfortable? I liked a lot HDJ2000 sound but i want to try something new. And im DJ so i dont want crap.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #112 of 528
In |Holland pretty nice deal on these headphones. Get 2 tickets to AVB concert. Worth here 300€ vor a pair of AVB tickets.

Thanks for the info. I like the sound. Seems interesting that with the earpads you can switch between on ears and over ears.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #115 of 528
what happened to this train.....ran out of coal?? 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #116 of 528
I reviewed the A5Pro and now I have them on my desk with Sennheiser HD25 II and I cant help it, i like the sound signature of the much cheaper Sennheisers more. They sonud more clear, have slightly punchier bass, more energy in the sound overall (driven with asus xonar essence one).  The only thing going for AvB A5PRO is deisgn. HD25 look like something picked up out of a garbage can in comparison and both headphones are uncomfortable after while especially when worn with glasses

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #117 of 528
u think a portable amp will improve the sound...bring it out more?

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #119 of 528
A3 is a damn good headphone. Bass goes deep with a lot of grunt but stays out of the way of the midrange. Think of an M50x without the mid dip and much more energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back