Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #91 of 528
I'd like to try the PU110 / PCU110 studio pads, why the heck aren't they available from Philips itself yet... Mr Buurens shop only, with 7 days to ship? You'd think they would sort these things out before release. Should come with the phones by default if you ask me. The cable feels a little cheap too, would be nice to see a straight one too.

Probably can't get the pads before return window closes so yeah... pretty sure they are more comfortable, but probably won't affect the subbass rolloff that I don't fancy that much. Gotta do some more listening..

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #92 of 528
Comfort wise stock pads (47x47x18mm earhole) are quite poor for home use, after 1-2 continuous hours my ears hurt and turn quite hot. The headband has pretty much zero padding and starts hurting also, had to adjust position many times..

Going to check if I can order the studio pads from local distributor.. few random europe webstores have them "in stock", but hard to know if it's for real..

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #94 of 528
I'll have A3 and A1 also in few days, will have three way measurements and impressions on all then...

I might have to keep the A5's until I can source some PCU110 pads. They are actually pretty good and as the headband is metal, there shouldn't be problems to bend it for little lighter clamp..

A1 are said to have on-ear pads, wondering if they are the PCU80 that are advertised for A5. I'll test if it can be interchanged.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #95 of 528
  I'd like to try the PU110 / PCU110 studio pads, why the heck aren't they available from Philips itself yet... Mr Buurens shop only, with 7 days to ship? You'd think they would sort these things out before release. Should come with the phones by default if you ask me. The cable feels a little cheap too, would be nice to see a straight one too.

Probably can't get the pads before return window closes so yeah... pretty sure they are more comfortable, but probably won't affect the subbass rolloff that I don't fancy that much. Gotta do some more listening..

I ordered the 80mm and 110mm pads from armadamusicshop.com and got them in 3 days (to US). I haven't tried the 80s yet but the 110s are very comfortable.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #96 of 528
  I ordered the 80mm and 110mm pads from armadamusicshop.com and got them in 3 days (to US). I haven't tried the 80s yet but the 110s are very comfortable.

Any changes on the sound (with 110mm)?

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #97 of 528

Did it say ships in 7 days then also?

Not going to order from there anyway, 12,75€ extra shipping for few grams of pads is a rip off..

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #98 of 528
US shipping is even more expensive, but fast.

110mm pads are much more comfortable, open up the soundstage a bit and reduce the bass slightly.  Not a huge change in the sound. Haven't tried the 80mm pads yet

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #99 of 528
  US shipping is even more expensive, but fast.

110mm pads are much more comfortable, open up the soundstage a bit and reduce the bass slightly.  Not a huge change in the sound. Haven't tried the 80mm pads yet

Thanks for the input.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #102 of 528
Reeaally curious to see Hekeli's measurements on the lower tier models. :)

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #104 of 528
Have things to do, so more pics less words...  (whole rew mdat available for download -> here)

A1 just sounds strange and muffled, whatever
A3 has too much (mid)bass going too far which generally gives a constant mud over the sound (of course someone might enjoy it for a snappy techno-basshead phone, but yeah ymmmv (your mud mileage may vary))
A5 actually quite (if not very!) good, not enough midbass to generally bother but gives a slight thump, but not basshead material by any means. Surprisingly spacey and clear sound.

Personally I would only consider buying A5, it has no actual clear faults that I can hear and has larger pads available, nicer build quality etc. But I'm not really making a comparison to any other phones so ymmv. Don't pay 300€ since Philips usually generously gives 25% discounts on their own shop, not to mention amazon etc..

(With HD8 & HD800)

Few poor pix... A3 pads you can see going inside the solid cup, dunno if you can pull it out and get it back in again.. A1 pads are pretty normal that you can remove and stretch/slip back.

A5 is a bit more comfy than A3, it's headband gap doesn't create a single point of pressure

Approx pad dimensions

A5 inner 48x48x16mm outer 93x93mm
A3 inner 50x50x16mm outer 93x93mm
A1 inner 30x30x16mm outer 73x73mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back