Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Sep 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #61 of 528
Sep 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #62 of 528
I had a second go on the A5pro today. Short notes with my DX90 as source::

Nice, rugged build quality. Not in the Super Comfy style: more like Heavy Duty.
Headband feels like rubber and leather (no foam). Ear pads are packed with foam an not fluffy att all.

Comfort is OK but they might need some wear-in (like leather shoes!).

No sibliance. Can take high volumes without pain or fatigue.
Works with both electronic music (Pyramid, Gesaffelstein) and jazz (Spyro Gyra, Fourplay).
Almost midcentric. The meat is in the lower mids. Lots of bass when asked for, otherwise quite neutral. Signature is on the dark side.

My pair was more or less out of the box it seemes. There was a slight congestion in the sound, like a veil over the mids. I would also have wanted a tad more sub-bass. However, both of those might change with burn-in.

Comparisons from the same store-shelf:

Beats Pro: Similar sound signature to the A5pro but much more sibliant. Feels less exact. Sound is more 'dirty'.

New AKG Y50 (on-ear): more V-shaped. Smaller soundstage (expected). Otherwise good sound (think K618DJ).

Hope you guys understand that this is just my quick impressions in a noisy environment :xf_eek:

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #63 of 528
These have a lot going for them. I was close to purchasing them today. But 330€ is... well 330 €.

I have decided to wait a bit and see if prices drop. Also, would be nice to hear more about the A3pro which is around 2/3 of the price.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #64 of 528
Some notes on burn-in:

0 h: Out of the box -I don't like to exaggerate but- it sounds crappy right out of the box. No where near the asking price. Veiled, not clear, linear sound with less bass presence. The worst thing: it distorts. It's stated that the A5Pro can handle 3500mW. But this thing distorts even half volume on iPod Touch 4G! This is the worst sound -regarding distortion- I have ever heard! I couldn't call it as a DJ HP ATM. How can a DJ listen to the low sound level? Headband clamping hurts a little...

6+ h: A5Pro is opening up. Clarity starts to show itself. Still close to linear than a bassy HP.

30+ h: Clarity is incomparable to the 0 h level. It's there. Still slight veil there. Bass starts to show itself with more body and detail. Some subbass presence appearing as well. Distortion is lessening but still distorts on iPod Touch 4G with the volume 7/10.

50+ h: A5Pro still opening up. More clear sound. But I still need more to say that I am satisfied. HP character changed in to a bassy one. Subbass presence is gaining slightly more body and definition. Distortion now starting to make me smile. Its lower than the 30+h period and if the HP goes to change like this -I hope so- it is going to be a very clear, very well distortion controlled, and bassy HP. Also clamping force is lesser now. But don't expect is to be comfy as a home audiophile HP. There is no foam or any kid of soft padding under the headband.

Soundstage didn't change as far as I hear/understand. It's slightly above average for a closed HP. But incomparable to an open one.

-TBC-

PS: Build Quality is great, built like a tank.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #65 of 528
I certainly think that Philips should write a note inside the box regarding burn-in. Any inexperienced user may send it back to Philips or return it to the store at first listen.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #66 of 528
Shiverssss....this burn in update is brutal n honest..
I m praying for u :p

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #67 of 528
Shiverssss....this burn in update is brutal n honest..
I m praying for u
tongue.gif

Hehe, we're talking about 500+ USD headphone here. If it is not going to reach or exceed that money worth of level I am going to be more brutal
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hopefully sound is really evolving fast and if it goes like this, I think -after passing the 300h mark- it is going to be a perfect one.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #68 of 528
What just came to my mind: I am not a DJ and I have zero experience on it. But I have a student  who's working as a part time DJ. I will invite him before finalizing my review on A5Pro and get his opinions (as a DJ) as well
wink_face.gif

I am sure he's going to draw some different lines that I may miss.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #69 of 528
Well msrp price is 299 euro, street price will be 200 soon or so I think, hope they'll open up and not be crappy but at least they shouldn't cost that much..

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #70 of 528
Usually prices tend to drop by the time...

My impressions are DURING BURN-IN. So no one should take them as the FINAL sound signature of the HP. When I come to think that the HP fully settles down I will start writing my review. These initial impressions are due to the call of you,  Lors
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #71 of 528
  Usually prices tend to drop by the time...

My impressions are DURING BURN-IN. So no one should take them as the FINAL sound signature of the HP. When I come to think that the HP fully settles down I will start writing my review. These initial impressions are due to the call of you,  Lors
wink.gif

No evidence of significant changes of "burn in" in any headphones. What are you referencing the A5 against?

Sennheiser HD558 will sound clear until you compare it to the HD800 at which point it will sound muddy. If you were just listening to the A5 then what you consider normal clarity and bassy will change. The real reason for "burn in" is your brain getting used to a specific sound signature which is why it is so important to have other headphones for reference.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #72 of 528
Show me the evidence of brain burn-in?

I am not comparing the sound to anything else during burn-in but evolving of the sound itself. I write the differences that I detect during different listening periods. And I do not listen through these periods continuously (for not to get effected from brain burn-in or not to get used-to the sound).

To give you more info: I believe in both burn-in types. There are believers of brain burn-in, believers of driver burn-in, believers of both and non believers of both in head-fi.
For 10 years I really got tired of discussing these things... Every one is free to search these facts, make their own experimentation and reach a conclusion.

Evidence is hearing. I do hear the changes. You do not believe in me, you are free to do. I am not going to convince you.

I am sorry, but I cannot discuss this matter any further.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #73 of 528
  Show me the evidence of brain burn-in?

I am not comparing the sound to anything else during burn-in, evolving of the sound itself. I write the differences that I detect during different listening periods. And I do not listen through these periods (for not to get effected from brain burn-in or not to get used-to the sound).

To give you more info: I believe in both burn-in types. There are believers of brain burn-in, believers of driver burn-in, believers of both and non believers of both in head-fi.
For 10 years I really got tired of discussing these things... Every one is free to search these facts, make their own experimentation and reach a conclusion.

Evidence is hearing. I do hear the changes. You do not believe in me, you are free to do. I am not going to convince you.

I am sorry, but I cannot discuss this matter.

There are people will say the exact same thing for balanced armature drivers. Except that they don't "burn in" at all.

We all hear changes and we all hear changes when there are none. Something as simple as deciding whether two similar sounds are the same is not easy to do.

To my main question. Were you referencing the A5 against other headphones for your impressions?

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #74 of 528

There are people will say the exact same thing for balanced armature drivers. Except that they don't "burn in" at all.

We all hear changes and we all hear changes when there are none. Something as simple as deciding whether two similar sounds are the same is not easy to do.

To my main question. Were you referencing the A5 against other headphones for your impressions?

I already gave the answer. And I already told you that I WILL NOT DISCUSS ANY FURTHER!

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #75 of 528

I already gave the answer. And I already told you that I WILL NOT DISCUSS ANY FURTHER!

Your impressions are similar to what people about the MDR-7520 especially with comments about how the bass tightens and having owned them I can say that it isn't true. Impressions with several hours of difference are useless because you cannot clearly remember what you heard over such large amounts of time regardless of whether you think you can.

I'll wait for more reviews but I tend to find that first impressions are often the most accurate. Boomy bass with sub-bass roll off, lack of clarity and poor power handling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back