Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #46 of 528
  Interesting to see if these will pick up among DJ's. They certainly seems to do the important things right for DJ's. I'm surprised regarding the response though if they are like you make them to be. How is the punchiness/attack though of the bass. The popular Sennheiser HD25-II have this very noticeable big attack/punch to it despite lacking bass quantity, it's like the kickdrums really stand out and slam with those headphones (you like feel the initial thump of the drumhit very well). Is such a character present in these headphones? I'm curious since this is a pretty important thing for DJ's to be able to easily hear the punch of the beats in order to easy beatmatch etc. That is something the new Sennheiser DJ line also seem to do great. So I'm not surprised if that part of the sound is emphasized also in these A5 Pro.

Yeah, sorry - I assumed the bass punch was a given/taken for granted with them being DJ cans coming from such respected collaboration as Philips & AVB - yeah these cans have everything where you need it to beat match - there's no lacking in that dept.

The only thing that kinda threw me - was myself - I expected and assumed that these cans would have a stock signature with an emphasised bass, like many DJ cans do like Sennheiser HD25 1 Mk II, so when I did receive them I kinda had to reset my incorrect expectations back to zero and approach them again, to which I can now appreciate the signature for what it actually is and not what I expected.

I get a kick out of listening to these headphones knowing that this is what AVB hears when he's performing a set to tens of thousands of party people at the likes of events like Ultra and Tomorrow Land festivals, and due to the time and effort both he and Philips committed to in achieving this end product.

These are beautifully crafted and robustly built headphones that despite the sound signature not being fun curved, are a lot of fun to use and enjoy, they have really grown on me a lot from my initial receipt, but that's as I mentioned, due to my incorrect expectations thinking they would be a basshead can 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #49 of 528
More upper bass punch for sure

I may sometimes need to check it out, upper bass punch sounds bad if tried to be EQ'd in (it's like it doesn't really work and impacts too much on overall quality), sounds better when the headphone naturally does it, as for subbass, my digiZoid ZO usually takes care of that. :) 

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #50 of 528
I may sometimes need to check it out, upper bass punch sounds bad if tried to be EQ'd in (it's like it doesn't really work and impacts too much on overall quality), sounds better when the headphone naturally does it, as for subbass, my digiZoid ZO usually takes care of that. :) 

That kinda corresponds to how the A5-Pro reacted under the bass/paper test - even under heavy bass EQ, they hardly transferred any bass air/SPL onto the paper (well, compared to other cans that have had clear paper fluttering - result: abandoned continuing with the test on the A5-Pro.

Hmm...I wonder if the digiZoid ZO would be effective on the A5-Pro?

Though for some reason I don't think the digiZoid is available in the UK :frowning2: but I may look into importing one from wherever they come from.....interesting.... :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #51 of 528
  LOL
The mini rake and Zen garden was classic
tongue.gif

Cuz I think everything looks better on an asian girls head...​
 ​
And it's HD with some nice close-ups​
 ​

I can do without the stupid cap.  :)  All I could understand was "dj", dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj, dj......

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #53 of 528
Hopefully these will be a bit bassier version. :p

So they are appearently called A1 Pro (just very barely I could make that out when viewing the picture in full-size :p): http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/a/a1pro_00/a1pro_00_pss_.pdf

Not sure what to think of that headband cushion, looks like it would apply a very noticeable pressure on top of the head.

Appearently those are already for sale in Finland for 119€ so don't have too high hopes for those.

EDIT again: There's appearently also A3-Pro and those seem to cost 199€ here (the ones to the right on that picture) which looks pretty much the same as A5 but different color. The A1 is 40mm vs 50mm in A3/A5.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #55 of 528
I tried the A5 Pro in a shop today with DX90 as source.

Very natural sounding as far as I could hear in the noisy and distracting environment.

I'm torn between the A5 Pro and the Focal Spirit Professionals (which I haven't heard but seem to fit my tastes).

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #56 of 528
https://www.armadamusicshop.com/detail/AC211045/Philips-A5pro-Headphones-Armin-van-Buuren-MERCH2014016P2

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #57 of 528
Armin in tha house 
wink_face.gif

First note: Who ever do not believe in burn-in, this hp has the ability to change the way you think.

I have never heard such an evolving sound through burn-in in my all head-fi life. I assume it will need more than 300 hours to fully settle (it's about 40 h now). Lets see how it goes...

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #58 of 528
  Armin in tha house 
wink_face.gif

First note: Who ever do not believe in burn-in, this hp has the ability to change the way you think.

I have never heard such an evolving sound through burn-in in my all head-fi life. I assume it will need more than 300 hours to fully settle (it's about 40 h now). Lets see how it goes...

can u document the change in sound....and give us running updates. Alot of salivating headfiers here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back