Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #32 of 528
Are these available yet? I want to get the price on these.

http://arminvanbuuren.com :wink:

imagejpg1-56.jpg

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #33 of 528
Schiit's about to get real - my A5-Pro's are due for my delivery tomorrow - now that's what I'm fuggin talkin about - hell yeah! :D

In the meantime - reach 4 the lasers - Armin Rocks Ultra Music Festival 2014 - WELCOME 2 MIAMI BITCH!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Xq7z6WpeB0w[/VIDEO]​

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #34 of 528
As soon as anyone gets some hands-on time with these, I was hoping to get a good idea of what amp I could consider for these, if one might be needed for more potential sound clarity or some other audio enhancement.  They're certainly loud enough already.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #37 of 528
I wonder how these will compare to the Sennheiser HD8 and M100...

As a trance lover I have high hopes, Armin is easily the most technically informed Mainstage DJ out there, he certainly knows his stuff.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #39 of 528
Even though cb 3723 is banned, he's somehow able to post pics and add comments to said pics while he's 'banned' that said, maybe check out his photos for an a5 review?  He has 2 a5 photos with a paragraph or so of comments listed.

enjoy!

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #40 of 528

Philips A5-Pro/Armin Van Buuren, DJ headphones - quick collapse feature demo. Essential for DJ's that travel a lot - like AVB who travels the globe from gig to gig, is to travel light as possible, so in collaborating with Philips a headphone that quickly and easily collapsed into a much reduced form factor that would have as smaller footprint as possible is essential to which the design has achieved this very neatly. Each cup rotates flat, opposing each other then fold to central position with each earcupinner sandwiching together with back of earcups facing outwards for an overall shell of protection, easily stored in supplied thick, padded storage bag with draw string top. Every mm of this headphone has been meticulously designed to AVB's exacting measure of his requirements as a in demand superstar DJ. Philips design team followed AVB around the globe for over a year, tweaking prototypes from Armins direct feedback as he gigged some of the biggest dance music events and festivals playing in front of crowds of upto 50,000 audiences at a time. The A5-Pro isn't just a headphone Philips made and got AVB just to stick his name on it for a easy fee - this headcan was designed on the go, evolving all the time in response to Armins feedback as he ended his DJ set, and the whole process of on the road R&D took over 12 months to get to the point where Armin could say he was looking at his dream headphone, designed in collaboration with Philips who chose the most celebrated trance DJ's and producers in the world to partner with. This commitment by Philips clearly indicates the A5-Pro is a very important new headphone for them, that they have high ambitions for its success not just in the pro DJ market, but also general consumer market, where DJ headphones can converge into successfully if done right. Maybe Philips have eyes on the A5-Pro becoming the new Sennheiser HD-25, arguably the most successful DJ headphone ever and still being produced today from their first release 26 years ago, back in 1988. Easy to see why Philips have taken the A5-Pro so seriously, when looking at the hd25's amazing success. Sennheiser have now released a new line of DJ headphones to the hd25's, with the HD6,7&8 DJ models, so Philips has serious competition on its hands as the prince pretender to the king DJ can throne, that the hd25 has so long reigned over with little challengers to cause concern. Is the A5-Pro a worthy and credible challenger in new generation of DJ headphones? Only time can tell, but IMO, the Philips/AVB offering is a highly tuned engine that covers many bases of fulfilling the kind of requirements DJ headphones demand and users wish for, yet also has many attributes attractive to the general headfier/general audio enthusiast consumer on the market for something that is robust, convenient, with a depth of design and engineering that you can feel in your hands, and hear through the 50mm transducers which is crisp, detailed and almost neutral sounding as far as DJ headphones go. Bass is present but not with the boost of authority that colours the Sennheiser HD25's. Perhaps this is the Studio producer side of AVB side of his influence on the A5-Pros signature. Definitely worth an audition, but hardcore bassheads will be disappointed I fear...

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #42 of 528
Can you elaborate on the actual sound quality?

I could almost carbon copy your review of the AKG K267 minus the build issues you remarked upon - the build quality of the A5-Pro's is even above the v-moda-m100.

And the A5-Pro certainly do shine in their amazing build quality and options for earpads - I believe there is an over ear optional extra available direct from AVB's site, but SQ is very much how you describe the K267's with the emphasis being more towards accuracy and Studio neutrality than the kind of fun that comes from the v-moda m-100's :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #43 of 528
I could almost carbon copy your review of the AKG K267 minus the build issues you remarked upon - the build quality of the A5-Pro's is even above the v-moda-m100.

And the A5-Pro certainly do shine in their amazing build quality and options for earpads - I believe there is an over ear optional extra available direct from AVB's site, but SQ is very much how you describe the K267's with the emphasis being more towards accuracy and Studio neutrality than the kind of fun that comes from the v-moda m-100's
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks that sounds great! Going to consider these then.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #44 of 528
Interesting to see if these will pick up among DJ's. They certainly seems to do the important things right for DJ's. I'm surprised regarding the response though if they are like you make them to be. How is the punchiness/attack though of the bass. The popular Sennheiser HD25-II have this very noticeable big attack/punch to it despite lacking bass quantity, it's like the kickdrums really stand out and slam with those headphones (you like feel the initial thump of the drumhit very well). Is such a character present in these headphones? I'm curious since this is a pretty important thing for DJ's to be able to easily hear the punch of the beats in order to easy beatmatch etc. That is something the new Sennheiser DJ line also seem to do great. So I'm not surprised if that part of the sound is emphasized also in these A5 Pro.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #45 of 528
The base hits are there, and any good dj can find a beat with even cheapos. They're great sounding cans, they have a good bass feel without being excessive, and have great sound isolation even with the 93mm pads. With the 110's they'd cut out surrounding noise even more so.

/proud and happy owner of these great cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back