Phiaton PS200 questions.
Jun 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Guppy_

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-PS-200-Transducers-andTweeter/dp/tech-data/B001EUDUFC/ref=de_a_smtd

So about two years ago, I was looking for IEM... I eventually went  RE2, RE0, then completely changed to etymotic (because of head direct build quality and QC issues) and bought an MC5, so "amazon" recommendations just emailed me these with $100 off, which obviously is not a deal, just a reduction of the MSRP and S &D etc.

Questions is, how much of an improvement would these be over my current etymotic MC5 in terms of SQ. eg. is the upgrade worth the price of $144.99 ?

Edit: Worth to mention, my sources are an iPhone 4, Creative zen Vision:m  and creative Xfi 2

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 10
re-bump
confused.gif
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I am curious too, they seem like a good deal!

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Because PS200 really isn't that popular an IEM in the forum, but I do remember reading it about its bright sound. I have the PS210 which is pretty different from PS200 but also has a bright, analytical sound. If it is anything to go for, I will assume PS200 should be better sounding than MC5, which I personally think it fairly mediocre sounding for the price.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Clieos to the rescue!

Clieos I was browsing your C- M-IEM-C.

In that price range $200ish or below, what would you recommend...

Coming from Ep-630, RE2, RE0 and now MC5... MC5 doesn't sound as good as the RE0 but isn't bad either, that + build quality + 2 year warranty can't be beaten...

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 10
I believe Joker reviewed these.

I also had these, and compared them with my UE700 and CK10. All three are dual-BAs. And I've auditioned the ER4 as well. All I can say for the PS200 is, I had no love for this...mediocrity made by the kbats. In general the sound sig is more similar to UE700 than to CK10, but is more laid-back than both, a very relaxing dual-BA (though the highs still have more weight than the lows). All I've described below is some comparison against my other IEMs. For example, I left out treble extension and soundstage because they were similar to CK10 and UE700 that I felt no need to elaborate on:

Very balanced and neutral sound. Where the CK10 has a huge mid-treble bump, the PS200 only has a hint of one, thus, in direct A-B comparison against the CK10, the PS200 feels darker. (not saying it's a dark IEM). 

Bass is slightly more quantity, but not as fast or hard-hitting as CK10. Typical BA bass with the amount slightly boosted, but nowhere as well textured and real as a good dynamic. 

Mid is where it should be. Not too recessed (or rather, pushed out of the spotlight by overwhelming bass and highs) like TF10, and not too focused on like SE530. It feels smoother on the PS200 and more enjoyable than CK10 because as said before the PS200 doesn't have that huge mid-treble bump, thus the whole freq response is more smoothly presented. 

In the end, I did not keep these for the following reasons: 1. size being too huge (directly impacts comfort and...brownie points). 2. lack of individuality (because I already have UE700 and CK10). 3. weird nozzle size. (only came with silicon tips, and I reckon only Shure tips would fit on these).

Verdict: for $145 these are pretty good, but other dual-BAs can also be found at or below this price range (B2, UE700, etc), but the PS200 would be an upgrade from your MC5. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
In that price range $200ish or below, what would you recommend...

Coming from Ep-630, RE2, RE0 and now MC5... MC5 doesn't sound as good as the RE0 but isn't bad either, that + build quality + 2 year warranty can't be beaten...

Yep, build quality and warranty are pretty much all there are going on for the MC5.

There are quite a few sub$200 IEM I really like, namely VSONIC GR07, Radius DDM (or DDM2, which is on sale now), Fischer Audio DBA-02 (and the assumed similar sounding Brainwavz B2), FutureSonics Atrio MG7, Phonak Audeo PFE 11x., and perhaps a few others. All of them have their pros and cons but they are all good sounding IEM for the price. If you are still looking for an analytical sound IEM, I think PFE will be a suitable choice, follow by DBA-02.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 10

Thanks for teh replies guys, though took you long enough :p
Quote:
I believe Joker reviewed these.

I also had these, and compared them with my UE700 and CK10. All three are dual-BAs. And I've auditioned the ER4 as well. All I can say for the PS200 is, I had no love for this...mediocrity made by the kbats. In general the sound sig is more similar to UE700 than to CK10, but is more laid-back than both, a very relaxing dual-BA (though the highs still have more weight than the lows). All I've described below is some comparison against my other IEMs. For example, I left out treble extension and soundstage because they were similar to CK10 and UE700 that I felt no need to elaborate on:

Very balanced and neutral sound. Where the CK10 has a huge mid-treble bump, the PS200 only has a hint of one, thus, in direct A-B comparison against the CK10, the PS200 feels darker. (not saying it's a dark IEM). 

Bass is slightly more quantity, but not as fast or hard-hitting as CK10. Typical BA bass with the amount slightly boosted, but nowhere as well textured and real as a good dynamic. 

Mid is where it should be. Not too recessed (or rather, pushed out of the spotlight by overwhelming bass and highs) like TF10, and not too focused on like SE530. It feels smoother on the PS200 and more enjoyable than CK10 because as said before the PS200 doesn't have that huge mid-treble bump, thus the whole freq response is more smoothly presented. 

In the end, I did not keep these for the following reasons: 1. size being too huge (directly impacts comfort and...brownie points). 2. lack of individuality (because I already have UE700 and CK10). 3. weird nozzle size. (only came with silicon tips, and I reckon only Shure tips would fit on these).

Verdict: for $145 these are pretty good, but other dual-BAs can also be found at or below this price range (B2, UE700, etc), but the PS200 would be an upgrade from your MC5. 

Wow, thanks for the thorough response. My problem with the CK10 is the availability of international shippers or US shippers that will take international credit cards.  As for size, The Etymotic triflange feel conformtable for me.  The PS200 got my attention because they get raves for it's build quality, can you comment on that issue ? Though after your reply i'm kinda not interested in them that much.

Quote:

Yep, build quality and warranty are pretty much all there are going on for the MC5.

There are quite a few sub$200 IEM I really like, namely VSONIC GR07, Radius DDM (or DDM2, which is on sale now), Fischer Audio DBA-02 (and the assumed similar sounding Brainwavz B2), FutureSonics Atrio MG7, Phonak Audeo PFE 11x., and perhaps a few others. All of them have their pros and cons but they are all good sounding IEM for the price. If you are still looking for an analytical sound IEM, I think PFE will be a suitable choice, follow by DBA-02.

Yeah the MC5 is Dark and harsh at some times, heck the RE2 I feel "defines" more than the MC5 in some categories.

Well to be honest, i've spent around  (RE2 way back) $37  +  $25ish shipping   + $80 (MC5) and buying another "mid range" IEM, will just up the account and i'm not yet satisfied, having spent around $180ish  ( not counting the RE0s because I con refund) and man i've had it with mediocre built IEM that feel that with the slightest tug will get ruined.

It's like, how many more <$100 IEM do I have to keep buying until I find someting. However I feel every and any $200-$250 IEM is over priced and over rated, however i'm all ears to suggestions. Keeping in mind

1. Analytical sound.
2. BUILD quality.

Thank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back