Phiaton MS 400 vs Ultrasone HFI-580
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Peruvian96

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about upgrading from my Klipsch Image S4 (which sound great IMO)
ive narrowed my choices down between these 2 headphones 
i listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Trance, Hardstyle, and Metal.
what are the differences in comfort, isolation, soundstage, instrument seperation, and sound quality between these two?

[EDIT] I have dropped off the Shures from my list due to the comfort issue that many people have and have added the MS400. how do these fare compared to the HFI-580?

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 10
hfi-580 may have comfort issues. But thats all on you and your head.
SRH750 has better lows, hfi-580 has better mids and highs.

Thats all i got for you.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 10
^ have you even heard the HFI-580 lows? they can be stunning at times.

The HFI-580's have great build quality and I have no idea what problem anyone has with comfort, they're quite nice, I hardly notice them on. The shures, from only what I've read, reportedly have pretty bad, cheap build quality.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the S4s and a pair of the 750DJ and I can tell you that the 750DJs aren't as forward as the S4's. The S4s are very in your face (or "in your head" as it were) and the 750DJs have a bigger soundstage (not in your head so much as around it). The S4s are more colored than the 750DJs. Isolation is better in the S4's because they're IEMs, but the 750DJs have decent isolation. As far as being a significant upgrade from one to the other, I'm honestly not sure. I use them for very different things: I only use the S4s in really noisy situations or if I'm on a plane/train/bus or whatever and use the 750DJs at home. That, and I find the the circumaural headphones more comfortable than the in-ear monitors.

Hmm. Then again, if I'm not listening to something electronic and instead, say, Rodrigo y Gabriela and their awesome guitars, I actually prefer the S4s. But all my electronics stuff, I'm tossing on the 750DJs. 

The 750DJs are harder to drive, I've noticed. With the S4's, I often find myself wondering how I can turn the sound down below where the current zero sound is on my 4th gen ipod touch's volume control. With the 750DJs, the sound hovers around 1/4 of the way up (still a huge range and not a problem with being driven).

The 750DJs aren't much on portability. They're fairly large and not the prettiest-looking. They creak a bit when you move.
Sound is great, though, and more relaxing to listen to than the S4s (a reassuring pat on the head vs. a punch in the face, really). Bass is tight and controlled and even has a rumble sometimes.

Tl;dr Yeah, they're an upgrade, but you'll probably still use the S4s for some things, especially when it comes to portability.

I've also been curious about the Ultrasone sound myself, but I've already got the 750DJs, the S4s, and a pair of Phiaton MS400s (by far my favorite, to be honest).  

edited for: I can spell, I swear.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I have the S4s and a pair of the 750DJ and I can tell you that the 750DJs aren't as forward as the S4's. The S4s are very in your face (or "in your head" as it were) and the 750DJs have a bigger soundstage (not in your head so much as around it). The S4s are more colored than the 750DJs. Isolation is better in the S4's because they're IEMs, but the 750DJs have decent isolation. As far as being a significant upgrade from one to the other, I'm honestly not sure. I use them for very different things: I only use the S4s in really noisy situations or if I'm on a plane/train/bus or whatever and use the 750DJs at home. That, and I find the the circumaural headphones more comfortable than the in-ear monitors.

Hmm. Then again, if I'm not listening to something electronic and instead, say, Rodrigo y Gabriela and their awesome guitars, I actually prefer the S4s. But all my electronics stuff, I'm tossing on the 750DJs. 

The 750DJs are harder to drive, I've noticed. With the S4's, I often find myself wondering how I can turn the sound down below where the current zero sound is on my 4th gen ipod touch's volume control. With the 750DJs, the sound hovers around 1/4 of the way up (still a huge range and not a problem with being driven).

The 750DJs aren't much on portability. They're fairly large and not the prettiest-looking. They creak a bit when you move.
Sound is great, though, and more relaxing to listen to than the S4s (a reassuring pat on the head vs. a punch in the face, really). Bass is tight and controlled and even has a rumble sometimes.

Tl;dr Yeah, they're an upgrade, but you'll probably still use the S4s for some things, especially when it comes to portability.

I've also been curious about the Ultrasone sound myself, but I've already got the 750DJs, the S4s, and a pair of Phiaton MS400s (by far my favorite, to be honest).  

edited for: I can spell, I swear.

i was also thinking about getting the phiaton ms400s. they seem to have pretty good reviews around here and plus, they look pretty. haha. how do the phiaton's fare to the s4s and the 750djs?

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, as I said, they're my favorite out of what I have. Far more comfortable than the 750DJs (and the S4s, being IEMs, make my ears itch after about an hour no matter what tips I use, sadly, even Complys). One thing about the MS400s is that they're either circumaural or supraural depending on your ear size. I have very small ears, so they're easily circumaural for me. My husband has, I suppose, normal sized ears, and they are a strange mix of supra and circumaural on him. But on me, they are really comfortable, enough that I can almost forget I have them on.

The soundstage on them is smaller than the 750DJ. Definitely more forward and immersive (which is another reason I keep choosing them over the 750DJs, aside from the comfort-factor). They're also more portable than the 750DJs and, well, nicer-looking.

Not saying that I don't like the 750DJs, because I actually do. But the comfort, immersion, and portability of the MS400s has me picking them over the 750DJs most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back