Phiaton MS 400: Looking for Challengers
Jan 14, 2011 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

qanda

New Head-Fier
Spurned for my first post re: Marshall Major phones. Forgive me, O Great One! I have learned much since.

So after 24 hours of research, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Phiaton MS 400 (~$170). Figured I'd call for other last-minute contenders.

My three main criteria in order of importance are portability > performance > value. Basically looking for phones with great SQ and portability that can handle the daily commute, 8-hour flights, general nomadicism and adventure; they're gonna spend a lot time around my neck or in a bookbag. Source is my iphone (hiss) and an amp will be too impractical, so they have to be pretty easily driven. Musical tastes are all over the place, so I'm looking for versatility: I'd rather have a set with good SQ across many genres than excellent SQ in only a couple. (The only other phones I can really reference are my Senn HD280 Pros and will say I'm looking for a much more prominent bass response.)

Based on the excellent local reviews by JokerArmaegis and swbf2cheater--particularly the latter's updates about mods--I think the MS 400s pretty much cover all my bases. I do have concerns about the restricted sound stage, but haven't seen anyone describe it as claustrophobic so it's probably alright. Gotta compromise something, right? I will pretend the red and black dopeness makes up for the lack of audiophile quality, haha.

So what out there beats the MS 400 in the $150-250 range? I've seen (but not heard) comparisons with the Senn HD25-1 II, but would probably break toward the warmer, more imperfect (?) sound signature of the Phiatons rather than the cold clarity of the Senn's.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions!

---

Desired specs at a glance:

- portable, good for wearing/listening on-the-go
- comfortable
- durable
- closed back
- low impedance, easily driven
- genre versatility
- source: iphone, V0 mp3s
 - <$250

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 4
Well the big giant thread to look over is Joker's portable headphone review... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

Since I'm the resident Phiaton guy, my preference will obviously point towards the MD400. There's also an all-black version available now if you prefer. The only area the HD25 wins is in sheer ruggedness. While the MS400 are well built, they do feel a tad on the delicate side compared to the HD25 which is second only to the DT48 in terms of fending off hobo attacks.

Another option to I'll toss out there would be the Pioneer HDJ-2000 which comes in just a pinch over your budget. Very durable and looks great, nice clean sound and good isolation.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the feedback!

Based on Joker's (and everyone else's) comparative review of the two sound signatures, I'm pretty sure the MS 400 is more what I'm looking for than the HD25-1. And durability is important, but not as much as sound. Besides, I learned some lessons about caring for headphones over the year and half I beat/dragged my HD280 Pros to death, haha.

I'm stuck purchasing from Amazon and right now the HDJ-2000s are ~$75 more expensive than the MS 400. Any thoughts how much better (if at all) the 2000s perform for the extra money? Still looking for reviews.

Also, since you mentioned the black Phiatons: did you ever feel like your clothes had to match the red ones? Haha, I know it sounds kinda ridiculous, but I was actually thinking about this. The reds are definitely more flash, but I couldn't really be bothered to worry about whether my coat/bag/sneakers clash with my headphones xD

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 4
If it matters, the red catches girls' attention much more readily.

The Pioneers are DJ style headphones. Very rugged, sleek metal look, swivel cups, mono switch, detacheable cable. It has a relatively flat frequency response (unlike the typical U-shape of most DJ cans) and good isolation and comfort. Check my profile for a comparative review of the Pioneers vs the Shure 840, M50, and M-Audio Q40. Price wise (compared to the MS400), you're paying extra for the metal and DJ functions.

If all you want is music, I say go with the Phiatons (heck, I even used them for light DJ work and they worked just fine in that respect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back