Phiaton MS-400 earpad mod - Sennheisaton HD-400 FEAR MY CREATION! RESPECT IT! :3
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus

Why did I do this?  I don't know, don't question great epic things lol.  

The phiaton ms400 technically has on ear pads even though its said to have circumaurial. this is not a review of the stock version. Here is my overall review on the stock version
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515857/review-and-impressions-phiaton-ms-400-they-are-so-sexy-they-got-me-a-real-date#post_6972519

After working on a Sennheiser HD 485 mod earlier today, I said to myself "hmm, mike.  It looks like these velor pads are the perfect size and would fit on the Phiaton MS-400.  I was correct.  Its a perfect fit with amazing results, improving the comfort on an already very comfortable set.  

The ms400s have a clip on locker plate that their stock earpads slip under that snaps on and off holding the edges of the pad material on the backside in place firmly.  Well, I took those off and just slipped the HD485 velors right over the entire cup.  They are the perfect size and will not come off easily.  You could toss them around and not have to worry about the hd485 velors slipping off.  Awesome.

Not that anything was wrong with the stock version at all, but this is just one of those simple epic wins you come across now and then.  Bass is definitely a little airier and more spacious due to the extra distance from you and the drivers, as in the stock version your ears are much closer.  Clarity is boosted just a bit, but I had to test and retest for hours to make sure it was true.  It was, not much but just noticeable i think.  

COMFORT is through the roof into space somewhere.  This is officially the most comfortable set I've ever used, bar none, end.  The stock ms400s pads has a screen on them, the velors do not and this is a rare case where the highs dont become harsh and the bass is improved.  It definitely moves through the velor much more efficiently.  Sure sound leakage is not much higher, but the pads are easily swappable.  I'd much rather use velor pads at home and the stock ones when im out and about.  

Im...im...so happy T_T

Perfect amount of tension on the pads to keep them stuck on the cups = epic win

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey thanks for the info regarding the pad mod.

I was wondering if you could explain further what you mean by the MS 400's not really being around-ear but more being on-ear? I am considering getting these headphones but would prefer an around-ear version. Does this mod make them more comfortable be turning them into a more around-ear fit? And if not would it be possible to do that with a different pair of pads?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 4
hey man sorry for the huge delay in replying, didnt notice this got bumped

the ms400 pads are small, but still considered over the ear.  They still lay over your ears, the front portion of your ear closest to your face would be enveloped, but the other end is likely to lay on your ear, if you are a kid or really small, it should be totally circumaurial, it not, odds are strong it will lay on your ears a little bit.  The HD485 pads are less hot than the stock pads, both of them are really soft and the phiaton pads are known to be among the softest and most comfy pads around

It is certainly possible, but not likely going to be easy, the ms400 has a locking plate which the pads attach to.  If you can manage to find pads that will fit around it, more power to ya.  The Hd 485 pads I used bypassed the plate locker and just slipped right over the entire earcup.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back