phatlab Sassy2 Hybrid Portable Headphone Amplifier impressions and discussion thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

crabdog

Headphoneus Supremus
Following the success of the original Sassy, phatlab have just released their Sassy2 and Sassy GT (Gold Tuned) Single-Ended Triode/Solid-State Hybrid Portable Headphone Amplifiers.

The Sassy2 and Sassy GT are available from Jaben stores worldwide. I met Eric from phatlab at Canjam Singapore 2017. We chatted over some coffee and I was fortunate enough to walk away with a Sassy2 for testing. Keep an eye out here for my thoughts on it and if anyone picks one up or gets a chance to audition one, please join the discussion and tell us your impressions!

Price:
Sassy2 $699
Sassy GT $799

Reviews here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/phatlab-sassy-ii-portable-headphone-amplifier.22318/reviews

A Powerhouse refined​

Ever since the debut of Sassy in 2015, everyone is astonished by its energetic performance accompanied by rich and warm sound of valves. Sassy can handle most planar magnetic and high impedance headphones by its uniquely designed tensionless hybrid topology. But there are requests from enthusiasts who hope to enjoy same sound quality and compactness with their favorite earphones. Introducing the Sassy ll, born on the expectation of many enthusiasts and beyond.

Specifications​

Frequency Response 10 Hz – 100 kHz
Output power 180 mW + 180 mW (300 ohm)
1000 mW + 1000 mW (30 ohm)
Headphone impedance 30 ohm – 600 ohm
Gain Switch High: 0dB / Low: -10dB
Power supply 5V/1A via micro USB port
Operation time (on battery) Approx. 10 hours (depends on headphone impedance)
Charging time (>1A supply) Approx. 3 hours
Dimensions 119 mm x 93 mm x 23 mm
Net weight 275 gram

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 48
I've tried the original Sassy with my Abyss and I was in half shock to see this little thing able to drive my Abyss pretty well with power to spare. Will be interested to hear your feedback with these little puppies.

Unfortunately the typical "Jaben tax" are pretty substantial which pushed me to drop the idea of getting one

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 48
I've tried the original Sassy with my Abyss and I was in half shock to see this little thing able to drive my Abyss pretty well with power to spare. Will be interested to hear your feedback with these little puppies.

Unfortunately the typical "Jaben tax" are pretty substantial which pushed me to drop the idea of getting one

I tried it with the Abyss and Canjam SG recently. You're right about power to spare - I had it on about 30-40% volume (on high gain).

The 2nd gen has several improvements over the original including the gain select switch and improved internal signal paths. My review should be up in a couple of days. There will also be a North American tour coming soon so keep an eye out for the new thread within the coming weeks.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 48
whats the differenc ebetween sassy ii and gt

also any comparisons to alo v5

May 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 48
I am surprised that phatlab do not have many interest here in headfi.
I've never heard the Sassy but I've heard the Phantasy last year and I really like it!

Too bad there is no comparison between the two here (yet - hopefully).

May 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 48
I am surprised that phatlab do not have many interest here in headfi.
I've never heard the Sassy but I've heard the Phantasy last year and I really like it!

Too bad there is no comparison between the two here (yet - hopefully).
Yeah I'm surprised about it too. I thought at least some people would have had a listen at their local Jaben store and chimed in. I haven't heard the Phantasy but the Sassy II is a great amp.

May 25, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 48
Look what I've got!

Attachments

• IMG-20170525-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20170525-WA0011.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
May 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 48
Thanks @crabdog

I was mulling over this amp for the last 4 days since local jaben store has one for sale at a discounted price (slightly used).

I've been searching a relatively affordable amp for my HD 800 and when I heard it again after a while, I must have it!
This thing drive the HD 800 with full authority without even have to break a sweat hahaha!

May 25, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #15 of 48
Thanks @crabdog

I was mulling over this amp for the last 4 days since local jaben store has one for sale at a discounted price (slightly used).

I've been searching a relatively affordable amp for my HD 800 and when I heard it again after a while, I must have it!
This thing drive the HD 800 with full authority without even have to break a sweat hahaha!
Yep the Sassy2 is the same. Crazy power!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back