PGGB Offline Remastering
May 26, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #286 of 300
What are the recommended Mojo2/Poly SD card settings? 16fs PCM and 32bit?
I use 16fs and 24b. While the sd card and poly can do 32b, I used 24b to maintain compatibility with the src-dx when using the dual coax input. The results with pggb and the sd card are some of the best I have heard. The high pitched squeal mentioned I have also heard. I think it is a function of mpd and while annoying it is not present while playing.

May 26, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #287 of 300
I use 16fs and 24b. While the sd card and poly can do 32b, I used 24b to maintain compatibility with the src-dx when using the dual coax input. The results with pggb and the sd card are some of the best I have heard. The high pitched squeal mentioned I have also heard. I think it is a function of mpd and while annoying it is not present while playing.
Thanks! I get the same high pitched squeal on 32b/16fs wv files playback when paused. I think I'll just stick to 24b/16fs flac as I find that sound to have an impact on my enjoyment while listening and I have to pause to hear someone.

Jun 4, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #288 of 300
I have a favor to ask of any Roon users who are either presently upscaling or thinking of some day doing so. Please register your vote for Roon to support DSD in 48K rates using the link that follows. The first post in the following explains it well, but with PGGB, it would result in tracks that began life in a multiple of 48k being invisible to Roon if upscaled to DSD. Odd that Roon omitted this as some less feature-packed apps can play these files.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/48k-dsd-rates/24709

Jun 18, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #289 of 300
Man, I’ve been getting good results with minimserver/pggb controlled by jplay to my poly/mojo2. So far 768k 24b with no dropouts.

Jul 10, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #290 of 300
Another album that opens up using pggb and squeeze playback…

IMG_0392.png

Aug 6, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #291 of 300
Spending the afternoon after morning golf listening on shuffle to all my pggb tracks. These have been converted using all the versions since the first release. I am playing them back from roon through hqplayer (no dsp). Just wonderful. air, air and more air. I didn’t realize how real a hammond organ can sound. Many have a hard time hearing if their mscaler is having an effect. There is no doubt when it comes to pggb.

Aug 19, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #292 of 300
Yes, I believe that generally NS is best avoided if further processing is done to PGGB files.

Perhaps partly for this reason, it may be best NOT to perform any further processing. Crossfeed, for example, can be done BEFORE PGGB. I have done this with a DAW (Reaper) and a VST3 crossfeed plugin (CanOpener). After crossfeed, export as a 64-bit floating point file, then apply PGGB.
Did you have any problems with Reaper + CanOpener? I've tried this multiple times at different points in time, but I never get Reaper to scan CanOpener. It just lists those as VSTs that failed to scan. I've reinstalled OS at some point, reinstalled Reaper and CanOpener multiple times etc. Reaper is 64bit and I've installed one all-in-one C++ redist package to make sure I should have all the dependencies installed. I tried some random 3rd party VST and it works just fine. I've also now emailed to Goodhertz as I really would like to try it out. I also tried it with Foobar, but CanOpener never opened up. I'm on Windows 11. Any help would be highly appreciated as I've spent way too many hours debugging this. It's super annoying as nothing gives me any hints on what may be the problem :)

Aug 19, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #293 of 300
Did you have any problems with Reaper + CanOpener? I've tried this multiple times at different points in time, but I never get Reaper to scan CanOpener. It just lists those as VSTs that failed to scan. I've reinstalled OS at some point, reinstalled Reaper and CanOpener multiple times etc. Reaper is 64bit and I've installed one all-in-one C++ redist package to make sure I should have all the dependencies installed. I tried some random 3rd party VST and it works just fine. I've also now emailed to Goodhertz as I really would like to try it out. I also tried it with Foobar, but CanOpener never opened up. I'm on Windows 11. Any help would be highly appreciated as I've spent way too many hours debugging this. It's super annoying as nothing gives me any hints on what may be the problem :)

I never had any problems using CanOpener with Reaper. It scanned and worked like any other VST plugin. Yes, reaching out to Goodhertz support seems best in your case.

Aug 20, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #294 of 300
I never had any problems using CanOpener with Reaper. It scanned and worked like any other VST plugin. Yes, reaching out to Goodhertz support seems best in your case.
Thanks. I got the first reply from them and they were asking if my GPU drivers are up to date or if I'm using remote desktop. It's headless server without GPU and I'm using it remotely from Linux. Don't know why this would affect Reaper's scanning of VSTs, but we'll see. Maybe Reaper doesn't scan VSTs that it wouldn't be able to open anyway. However, it would be strange if Reaper did that knowingly and never told the user. Anyway, at least I now got some hints. Leaving this here as someone else may have similar problems.

Aug 21, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #295 of 300
I now got CanOpener working in Linux with Wine. OMG what I've been missing :)

Aug 22, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #296 of 300
Hi @Rayon and @Atriya

I haven't tried cross-feed with PGGB before. What are your impressions with CanOpener? Are you applying any other DSP / EQ apart from the cross-feed from CanOpener? If so, what are you doing and how are you doing it?

Thanks! I'm really intrigued with this approach!

Aug 22, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #297 of 300
Hi @Rayon and @Atriya

I haven't tried cross-feed with PGGB before. What are your impressions with CanOpener? Are you applying any other DSP / EQ apart from the cross-feed from CanOpener? If so, what are you doing and how are you doing it?

Just to be clear, I don't think there's any special value in the combination of crossfeed and PGGB. They are unrelated things, and each just do their thing individually.

I was quite wowed by CanOpener on certain tracks: they had hard panning to the left and/or right. But I quickly realized the effect is highly track-dependent, and even for tracks that benefit from it, the best-sounding CanOpener settings will vary. It's obviously not practical to determine settings individually for each track, so I eventually gave up on it. There is also an inevitable slight hit to resolution: things get slightly softer.

As far as an all-purpose method goes, that would be having one's HRTF properly measured, then using something like this binaural renderer: https://apl-hud.com/product/virtuoso/. Alternatively Dolby has some tools to achieve the same thing, including a rough HRTF estimation. A better way is to make use of tools that utilize the LIDAR sensors on certain smartphones. And once all of this is done, to get a head-tracker for your headphones, such as this one: https://supperware.co.uk/headtracker-overview, to complete the experience. Haven't gotten to any of this yet, personally, and in any case the effect will be limited for tracks that are 2-channel. Should be more impressive on multi-channel tracks, the best case would be discrete (not Atmos) 9.1 channel 24-bit/96Khz tracks, that you can in fact buy online from some sources.

None of the above is related to PGGB, so sorry for taking the thread astray.

Aug 23, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #298 of 300
Hi @Rayon and @Atriya

I've been fiddling with different combinations now and it's starting to look like it's better to leave CanOpener last. I now either:

1) -8db gain in ReaEQ -> CanOpener -> Dither to 24bit
2) PGGB to 4fs (-10db peak normalize) @ 64 float (without NS) -> CanOpener -> Dither to 24bit

I tried PGGB with CanOpened 64bit files, but they were somewhat lifeless in comparison. Reaper / CanOpener don't seem to support higher than 4fs, but that works very nicely for me anyway. I'm now going to usample big part of my library into 4fs 64bit and then feed CanOpener with those.

Also something to note: as CanOpener sounds best after PGGB, DSD isn't very convenient. CanOpened PGGB DSD sounded meh (to me). Maybe some day we get CanOpener integration to PGGB. I understood that CanOpener also internally uses something higher than 64bit :)

Aug 23, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #299 of 300
IMG_0406.jpeg

Latest pggb album. Added so much micro detail. Great to have new YES like material.

Aug 25, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #300 of 300
I'll still comment a bit on CanOpener + PGGB combination. It seems that it's definitely best to PGGB everything into 4fs first before CanOpener. I really like the results that I get with these steps:

PGGB:
1) 8fs @ 64 float (without NS)
Reaper's batch processing:
2) CanOpener 50% 45 degrees (in HQ mode)
3) Peak normalize to -1db
3) Output to 32bit or use 64 float

Then either:
a) Use 32 bit files in Roon as is
b) Use 32 bit files in Roon with Roon's upsampling (I got amazing results with May with Roon's upsampling to DSD512 with 7th order CLANS)
c) Use 32 bit files in players, such as Poly/Mojo 2 :)
d) Upsample 64bit files further with PGGB

Especially imaging benefits a lot from pre-upsampling before CanOpener. I earlier PGGB'd to 4fs, but today realized that Reaper can support higher rates. 8fs (DXD) is already ready good in itself and I don't need to play with split WAVs too often. It's also amazing source for DSD upsampling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back