petition to ban/delete threads about active ebay auctions
Jul 5, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #61 of 89
why delete this thread?
this thread is quite entertaining
redface.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #62 of 89
well, from what i see, most of this thread is BS, but at the end of the day, the reason for it is valid, if you find an auction or a sale, it should be published in the buy/sell/trade forum, not in the headphone discussion section.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My gripe is the "Head-Fi effect," which drives items up to ridiculously high levels. Posting a bunch of Buy-It-Nows on here won't change the price of the auction, and the people that already saw these auctions and are really interested likely already bought what they wanted (but the difference is that these people cannot do anything when there isn't a Buy-It-Now, so they're forced to sit there as the auction price is driven up and up and up...). Consider how it effects people who saw the auctions before they were posted here, and in the case of auctions that are Buy-It-Now it really doesn't make too much of a difference compared to auctions that have no Buy-It-Now.

Who would you say benefits the most and the least from posting eBay auctions here? I'd say the seller benefits the most, and the potential buyers benefit the least. I'm more for helping potential buyers by not posting auctions (those interested can just spend a couple minutes to do a search and find the item without having to have somebody hand it to them on a plate) than for helping sellers by posting auctions, and I believe more Head-Fiers are on the buying side than the selling side on eBay.

There's no reason to delete this thread. I think the thread should stay so that people know it's one more thread that has already discussed this issue. I do feel that it should be locked, however.

While I understand where you are coming from to a degree...its really a difference in what you call "ridiculously high." If someone on head-fi is willing to pay that price for a rare headphone, then I don't see how that price is "ridiculous." Demand drives prices. Most these items are considered rare...its not something you go scouting for everyday because more than likely, they are not available. If you want it bad enough, then go ahead and buy it. If you're unwilling to pay the price premium for such a rare headphone, then don't bid. What I don't get is why its "unfair" for another head-fier to bid on an item just cause they "didn't search eBay themselves"...irregardless of how high the price goes.

So yes, such threads jack prices way up...but thats due to other head-fiers (granted some with more $$$ than others). I guess I just believe that everyone should have a fair shot at bidding on an item...it shouldn't be "selective" just cause a person didn't have time to search eBay that day. Price is just a side effect of head-fiers wanting a particular headphone and how much they are willing to pay for it. Not sure why you're so against supply and demand.
confused.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #66 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I understand where you are coming from to a degree...its really a difference in what you call "ridiculously high." If someone on head-fi is willing to pay that price for a rare headphone, then I don't see how that price is "ridiculous." Demand drives prices. Most these items are considered rare...its not something you go scouting for everyday because more than likely, they are not available. If you want it bad enough, then go ahead and buy it. If you're unwilling to pay the price premium for such a rare headphone, then don't bid. What I don't get is why its "unfair" for another head-fier to bid on an item just cause they "didn't search eBay themselves"...irregardless of how high the price goes.

So yes, such threads jack prices way up...but thats due to other head-fiers (granted some with more $$$ than others). I guess I just believe that everyone should have a fair shot at bidding on an item...it shouldn't be "selective" just cause a person didn't have time to search eBay that day. Price is just a side effect of head-fiers wanting a particular headphone and how much they are willing to pay for it. Not sure why you're so against supply and demand.
confused.gif

Do understand that there are a fair amount of "joke bids" that people just place for the hell of it with these types of auctions.

It takes just a few minutes to run some searches on eBay. Yes, if you're after a rare headphone, you DO search for it every day. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. Yes, people are busy with school, jobs, family, etc. but are you telling me that you guys can't spend just a few minutes of the day running some searches? I find that very hard to believe, especially considering how much time people seem to spend on these forums (you'd have to spend time on these forums to find one of the threads posting an eBay auction).

It's just an annoying and dumb thing to do. Run some searches on here to find all the arguments that have been made on this issue. If you want the item, just get off your lazy but and spend a couple minutes searching for the damn thing (instead of waiting for somebody to hand it to you on a plate). Otherwise, the Head-Fi effect will kick in and prices will go up to ridiculous levels. Oh wait, there aren't any ridiculous prices because the buyer is willing to pay that much. As long as someone is willing to pay a certain amount for an item, then that justifies the cost. The average going rate for these rare headphones is irrelevant, of course. There's nothing wrong with a K1000 auction going for, say, $1800, when they usually go for MUCH less. It's your fault because you didn't have the money, and it doesn't matter that posting the link on here drove the price that high. It's not even a ridiculous price because there was a demand for it at that price. Who cares if the price shot up because the link was posted here. Information is for everyone. You must ALWAYS look at these things objectively. The next time there is a rare headphone on eBay, please fulfill your civic duty to post that auction link EVERYWHERE you can, so that just in case somebody who is interested in the item but isn't bright enough to consider searching for it on eBay can bid on it. The price may go up several times more than how much the item usually goes for, but who gives a crap! You're not interested in bidding on the item, so it doesn't make a difference to you. Plus, it's ALWAYS a fair price if someone is willing to pay that much for it (I mean, even if some high rollers drove the price of a K1000 up to $5000 or something, it's still not a ridiculous price because there are people who are willing to pay that much for it).

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I here by start another petition to end all griping about people posting threads for active ebay auctions.

I will sign your petition.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #70 of 89
I think such threads foster more competition. For the better most definately. Who doesn't love challenges really? And the guy who wins it out of the 300+ bidders deserved it most don't you think? Competition makes things more fun. Gives more spice to auctions.

And this is the internet. Everyone is entitled to publicized information/deals.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #72 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spoken like someone that has never bid on anything he truly wanted

Oh b.s. I've lost bids on ebay for things I've truly wanted- but that's life, I accept it and move on. The admin are not going to ban ebay threads, especially when there isn't a clear consensus that it's a good thing. If they were going to ban the threads, they would've done it a long time ago, because this gripe is far from new, and it's all about sour grapes.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #73 of 89
You know I'm right there with you Azure. I've stated my opinion many times.

I still can't believe how contradictory it is to take the position of being for posting ebay links here, specifically for rare headphones. It makes absolutely no sense. So we're trying to help someone who may be looking for the headphones but doesn't take the time to search for themselves(a whole 1 minute's time)? Why not take the position of helping the person that you know is already looking for them? The ignorant card can't be played here. You know for a fact someone here, that really wants them, is always looking. Always. No doubt about it.

Why shouldn't they be able to get that headphone for what is ALREADY a market price, by being listed on ebay in the first place?

I still stand by my position that a heavy percentage for the reason people do list them here is just to instigate, and that is truly sad. You can deny it all you want, but deep down you know I'm right. People just can't get enough drama in their lives so they have to get in to other people's business. Head-fi needs its soap operas too.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #74 of 89
My idea on how to solve this to help meet the needs and wants of most...

Create a new catagory in the SALE section of this forum called eBay Auctions and Retailer Deals. This way if someone wants to posts a good find from on online retailer, they can without clogging up the main discussion catagories. I myself am guilty of this offense even as of today.

And people could post eBay finds if they felt the need to as well. It would be doubtful that those threads would get nearly as much traffic as they do now in the discussion threads, thereby keeping down the attention of casual person that isn't really looking to do an impulse buy on a highly attractive deal. And yet those of us that troll the FS forums would be able to see these deals as they are discovered and shared, if we haven't already found them first
very_evil_smiley.gif

But then again, what the hell do I know
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still stand by my position that a heavy percentage for the reason people do list them here is just to instigate, and that is truly sad. You can deny it all you want, but deep down you know I'm right. People just can't get enough drama in their lives so they have to get in to other people's business. Head-fi needs its soap operas too.

This seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back