petition to ban/delete threads about active ebay auctions
Jul 4, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #32 of 89
I thought dialog was what we were here for. As long as a topic can be useful or entertaining for someone, unpopular threads will wither of their own accord.

There's nothing wrong with eBay threads, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. But before posting, be aware of the general outline of a sham bid. This includes their inserting boldfase hyperlinks in the text proper leading to outside emails (illegal on eBay), graphics stolen from recent auctions, or inconsistencies with the "seller's" stated address. .

If even one person can be kept from those knockoffs, it's a good thing. But it would be good for prospective posters to concentrate the news in a single thread so it doesn't get out of hand.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #34 of 89
I will not sign such a petition. I think its healthy to have open ebay auction discussions, to help determine if something is a scam, or a seller is a scammer.

Just look at all the fake sony and sennheiser portables.

Furthermore.. if it is a rare or unique item, I see no reason why we should not be able to discuss it openly.

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #36 of 89
Whether advising others of an ebay sale is good or bad largley depends on your current role. If you are the seller, you want as many people to know about the sale and the item. If, on the other hand you are the buyer and you think you have a chance of picking up a bargain because nobody else knows about it, you will be annoyed by such threads.

The Internet and its use to disseminate information advising of topical ebay sales is a much bigger and broader issue than this thread. Trying to control this information is counter to the use and spirit of the Internet itself.

If you were advertising the ebay sale for the purpose of gathering willing souls to jack up the price ; that's obviously wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Otherwise, this is the world in which we live.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 89
forum supports trolling, hooray!

all the "benefits" you people discussed are flimsy at best - items being listed in the wrong place, rare at most - scams, if you think it is, then post it as an investigation as such - healthy discussion, most of the "discussion" that happens in the thread is people either saying "oh hey thanks, might as well bid on this" or remarking how they can't afford it cause the price is so high...wonder how that happened.

with a place that seems to have a pretty solid set of ground-rules, i don't really understand how so many of you pretend to be so laissez-faire

this thread was mostly a joke, but i do find the e-bay threads really annoying and not much more than blatant trolling

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell someone who cares. If people want to post ebay links, why not. You don't have to read them.

This is a special situation in which the issue is other people reading these threads, so the "you don't have to read the thread" solution doesn't work here. I'll let you think it through...

JLai - There's a bit of difference when it's a Buy-it-Now versus an auction.

I'm not for completing banning/deleting the posting of all active eBay auctions. What I AM for is banning/deleting active eBay auction threads that are created "just in case anyone is interested." The people that are interested in these items likely already are aware of these items, and posting eBay auctions on here has a tendency of really driving up prices to really high levels. It takes only a few minutes to do a bunch of eBay searches. Just get off your butt and do a couple searches and you'd find these auctions on your own in no time.

I think posting active eBay auctions should be allowed in certain cases, should as wanting feedback as to whether an auction is legit or not, or how much is a good price to pay for an item, etc. I think it's also okay to post them if you're recommending an item to somebody or trying to help someone find an item. It's a completely different situation when you just create a thread with a link to an eBay auction to display to all of Head-Fi, all just in case somebody who is interested in the item is so stupid and lazy that he didn't think that he could find said item by spending a couple minutes doing searches on eBay (time spent reading threads on here can be spent searching on eBay for these items).

fordgtlover - True, as has been discussed in prior threads. Posting active eBay auctions hurts potential buyers, but definitely helps sellers. You have to ask yourself then, are most head-fiers eBay sellers or eBay buyers?

We've discussed this topic to death, and this thread won't get anywhere that we haven't gotten in previous threads. This petition won't work and is a waste of time.

Forest Design - It's not the wisest idea to create a "joke thread" on a topic that has such strong supporters on both sides. I'm not sure what you were thinking would result when you decided to create this thread.

Use the search engine to get more detailed arguments from both sides of this issue.

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #39 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Design /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread was mostly a joke, but i do find the e-bay threads really annoying and not much more than blatant trolling

So then really, you were trolling when you created this thread. I think you just got burned and did a little back pedaling.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #40 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JLai - There's a bit of difference when it's a Buy-it-Now versus an auction.

I thought about that aspect, but in actuality its not that different. A seller will have a certain limited amount of an item. Once its gone, its gone. Opening a thread about a deal will just as effectively make the item unobtainable...just through being already sold vs not being able to afford it anymore.

Basically, people are advocating eliminating competition...which to me is rather dumb since most markets operate on a global basis and I see eBay as such a market. Price competition is just part of the game. I don't buy into the "I'm pissed off cause you saw the auction too" mentality.

And your argument of "are most head-fiers eBay sellers or eBay buyers"...buyers...but then potentially we're hurting ourselves? Or are we helping keep high quality equipment within the community, since obviously they have to be on head-fi to even read the thread? Its like beating a dead horse. Essentially, you want to keep high quality equipment away from the head-fiers with more money.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #41 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So then really, you were trolling when you created this thread. I think you just got burned and did a little back pedaling.

x2

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

all the "benefits" you people discussed are flimsy at best - items being listed in the wrong place, rare at most - scams, if you think it is, then post it as an investigation as such - healthy discussion, most of the "discussion" that happens in the thread is people either saying "oh hey thanks, might as well bid on this" or remarking how they can't afford it cause the price is so high...wonder how that happened.

with a place that seems to have a pretty solid set of ground-rules, i don't really understand how so many of you pretend to be so laissez-faire

Well... Trolling is not allowed, and mods will delete the following types of threads:

"Come look at my auction" - URL link
"Please bid on my auction" - URL link

Thread discussions however IMHO are a good thing when they are started to discuss the authenticity of an item, current street-value, seller honesty/integrity, or shipping procedures.

I may be in the minority, but also don't see any harm in alerting the forum to unique, rare or mis-represented items... so long as the poster has no association with the seller. I see it as healthy discussion amongst enthusiasts... getting excited about an item on ebay.

You should be careful how you word your comments, the mods do not take broad, sweeping generalizations and finger-pointing lightly. Pointing fingers at the forum in general, accusing its members and mods of supporting trolling will not make you very popular.

"laissez fair".. I am in no way laissez fair... I am STRONGLY in favor of open discussion and freedom of speech. Where the hell do you get off?.... July 4th holiday and you want to limit freedom of speech on head-fi?

On a lighter note... this topic is trolling, and I will have no further discussion in this pointless thread.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically make it trolling. You as a troll should know the difference quite well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #44 of 89
I certainly will not sign such a petition.
Just look at all those fake Stax SR-Omega and Grado HP1000/PS-1 auctions. Someone on Head-Fi might have been scammed if we were not allowed to warn you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back