Petition for a "Gaming" device from FiiO
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #61 of 90
If it's the start of their gaming line I think the model G1 would be more appropriate. You'd want to have it named distinctly so that people don't assume it's an upgrade to the W1. Since they've taken to naming their amps after famous mountains, maybe they can add a similar system to a gaming line. "The FiiO G1 'Kojima'"

Ooooh, me likes! G1 would be perfect, but someone might think they're name got jacked :p

How about some U.S. flavor into it. Call it the "Fiio G1 Rushmore." Not only will it be catchy... but if they're able to make it work for Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, and PC... it will have significant meaning :D

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #62 of 90
So for the voice chat feature, we need to preset another USB input and output audio channel (in the case of PS3 and PS4) or another mic in and headphone out port (in the case of the XBox)? And in all these cases the voice chat output from the console only outputs voice chat audio, not mixed with the game SFX?

So if one were to use a conventional home theatre setup with no headphones, would the setup look like this?
1. HDMI to AV receiver playing game audio through 7.1 speakers
2. USB connection to a USB sound card with a single stereo output and a mic input to a separate pair of stereo speakers playing game chat and a mic receiving your voice
or
2. 3.5mm line out connection to a separate pair of stereo speakers playing game chat and 3.5mm mic input receiving your voice

?

And are you guys sure that the hiss you're hearing is coming from e.g. the Mixamp and not from the console's voice chat circuitry itself?

BTW, we already have a FiiO G1. It's a guitar amp :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #63 of 90
Ooooh, me likes! G1 would be perfect, but someone might think they're name got jacked :p

How about some U.S. flavor into it. Call it the "Fiio G1 Rushmore." Not only will it be catchy... but if they're able to make it work for Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, and PC... it will have significant meaning
biggrin.gif

Actually I chose Kojima from Hideo Kojima. I figured they could use last names of different gaming icons.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #64 of 90
Actually I chose Kojima from Hideo Kojima. I figured they could use last names of different gaming icons.

I know why you said Kojima, lol. That's why I said someone might think they're name got jacked. I was just sticking to the mountain theme lol.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #65 of 90
And are you guys sure that the hiss you're hearing is coming from e.g. the Mixamp and not from the console's voice chat circuitry itself?

BTW, we already have a FiiO G1. It's a guitar amp
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the hiss is a mixamp issue, as some of the older models have considerable less hiss than its 2013 model.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #66 of 90
So for the voice chat feature, we need to preset another USB input and output audio channel (in the case of PS3 and PS4) or another mic in and headphone out port (in the case of the XBox)? And in all these cases the voice chat output from the console only outputs voice chat audio, not mixed with the game SFX?

So if one were to use a conventional home theatre setup with no headphones, would the setup look like this?
1. HDMI to AV receiver playing game audio through 7.1 speakers
2. USB connection to a USB sound card with a single stereo output and a mic input to a separate pair of stereo speakers playing game chat and a mic receiving your voice
or
2. 3.5mm line out connection to a separate pair of stereo speakers playing game chat and 3.5mm mic input receiving your voice

?

BTW, we already have a FiiO G1. It's a guitar amp :smile:

So, an Xbox360 and PS4 setup are (FWIR) basically the same. In a home theater, it would be set up like:
• Console HDMI or Optical ---> AV receiver playing game audio through 7.1 speakers
• 2-channel connection (2.5mm for Xbox360, 3.5mm for PS4) in console controller for mic input and mono chat audio output, connected to an included separate (crappy, uncomfortable) mono headset.
I don't have a PS3, but I think game audio is still HDMI/Optical, and microphones are connected by USB to either the console or controller's USB port.

And yes, chat audio is delivered separate from game SFX audio. Your question about the hiss possibly being from the chat audio is a good one, but I think the Mixamp users report that they hear the hiss even without chat audio plugged in.

With PCs, gamers generally have headsets with two 3.5mm connectors, one for audio and one for mic, or they have a pair of stereo desktop speakers and no mic functionality. Some gamers get regular headphones and a USB desktop mic.

Personally, I have tried a bunch of different setups (first was stereo, adapting RCA to 3.5mm and plugging into a FiiO E5 :wink: and headphones, with the console set to pipe chat audio with the game audio and just use the controller's port for a mic), I personally observe that the challenge is to not make a spiderweb of USB power, Optical, Chat, microphone and headphone wires in my lap. Short range, that's okay, because the cables don't have to reach far and you can kinda set the processor device (the hub of all these wires) off to the side, but longer reaches like in a living room with a couch and TV can be tricky to integrate chat audio and keep it neat. Instead of telling you, let me show you the setup pictures for the Recon3D USB:

As you can see, the Xbox 360 setup is the most complicated, and it sacrifices an elegant way to control the chat audio volume from the game SFX audio, but they do have a pretty novel idea with the audio extension cable: the Recon3D USB sits near the console, then there's one single analogue cable running to the couch with a hub at the end for plugging in the controller, headphone, and mic input. With a Mixamp, the processor unit sits with the gamer on the couch, with USB and Optical cables running between the couch and TV/console area. With the DSS, since I don't use Turtle Beach headsets, I just have a lapel mic plugged straight into my controller (with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter) and all chat audio output sent to play with the game audio output through the optical cable and DSS.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #67 of 90
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And in all these cases the voice chat output from the console only outputs voice chat audio, not mixed with the game SFX?

Yes, they are independent from each other.  They come in via two separate inputs into the devices, which why it's possible to mix them (game audio comes in via Optical in, voice audio via a 2.5mm cable from the controller on the Xbox 360 (I think voice is via USB for PS3?)  I'm not 100% sure how the new consoles are doing it...

The big selling point of the Mixamp is that it takes those two audio sources (Game and Voice) and allows you to literally mix them, via an analog volume pot on the front of the device.  The way it works is one of the volumes functions in reverse, so that as you turn up the volume on one the other inversely decreases in volume and vice a versa.  So the pot turned all the way left is 100% Game volume, turned right is 100% Voice, and straight up in the middle is 50/50.

Yes, this hiss comes from the device itself.  Piping in the voice chat audio does add some additional hiss (depending on how loud you have voice volume set), but if you turn on either the Mixamp or DSS and unplug ALL the inputs and just listen to the device running by itself you can still hear background hiss - even at minimum volume.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #70 of 90
  Any reply from FiiO by now? Please keep your OP up to date, just in case.

Yes, FiiO is replying.

What needs to be updated on the first post?

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #71 of 90
Been reading and following the recommendations posted on head-fi for ~10 years now.  Went to vote for backing / buying the type of product chicolom outlined and realized I've never registered.
popcorn.gif

Timing is perfect though .... getting ready to redo the home theater and an a/v receiver + headphone option for nighttime movies (aka wife has gone to bed) is being researched.  And my cat recently knocked my wife's glass of water over our Sennheiser headphones that are used with the laptop (heavy .... HEAVY gaming, music, and movies - in that order).  So an option to replace those is being researched now (thanks Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming thread).

What would the solution "look like" to support the following:
   1.  laptop with the following ports
        a.  hdmi
        b.  usb
        c.  headphone
        d.  microphone
   2.  headphones (such as AKG K712 Pro)
   3.  microphone (such as ModMic)
   4.  3d audio for games
   5.  stereo for music
   6.  3d audio for movies (Dolby Digital and DTS)

laptop hdmi output -> FiiO hdmi input
FiiO hdmi output -> monitor
FiiO headphone output -> headphone of choice
ModMic -> laptop

OR

laptop usb -> FiiO usb
FiiO headphone output -> headphone of choice
ModMic -> laptop

Hope this becomes a reality!

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #72 of 90

Yes, FiiO is replying.

What needs to be updated on the first post?

Nevermind, I didn't know FiiO is actually following this thread. You're doing great FiiO! And so does everyone else who is participating in this thread. If at all, is there a chance that we're going to see such a device in 2014? That'd be great.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #73 of 90
I have no idea how long this would take, but FiiO has to do market research to try and determine consumer demand and desired features (we in this thread are trying to help with that), research necessary tech (headphone surround would be a whole new thing to FiiO, they might save on time by using other manufacturers' DSPs but they might save costs using their own gear where possible), take care of any licensing or legal things, plan out designs, build and test prototypes, set up mass production, and then stock up enough units before they would be able to sell product.

If it turns out easy enough to shoehorn the headphone surround into an existing device, it could come out sooner, but the DSP hardware may require a whole new design. IF this petition and product becomes something FiiO wants to start right away, THEN I would just guess a product wouldn't be ready till next year and just hope for an early surprise :wink:

I still think people living in dorms or apartments would be all over this. Make it too expensive & bulky and the average person would skip it for existing competitive options or speakers, but headphones are becoming widespread among young adults, particularly gamers, and I really think FiiO could nail it and make everyone happy!

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #74 of 90
Thanks for all the input guys! As you can see right now we're busy with the X5 rollout (and updating the X3's firmware to X5's standards for the most part), but I'll be sure to give James and the devs another nudge when the time is right :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #75 of 90
Thanks for all the input guys! As you can see right now we're busy with the X5 rollout (and updating the X3's firmware to X5's standards for the most part), but I'll be sure to give James and the devs another nudge when the time is right
biggrin.gif

You have no idea how ecstatic that will make this group. We've been talking about a FiiO product like this in the gaming thread on and off for a while now. Chicolom was the one who finally pushed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back