Petition for a "Gaming" device from FiiO
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #46 of 90
As I've mentioned months ago, FiiO already has a basis to work off of...

I have no idea what this device is for, but what we are asking for can definitely look similar to this. Just get rid of the whole wireless thing and work off the base alone...

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000048596648&MenuID=105026003

That transmitter does have a nice wealth of inputs and an acceptable size.

What I want to know more about is this device, seems closer to what the petition is looking for as far as functionality goes:
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000039443512&MenuID=105026003
I assume it already has a DSP to decode Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect (and the others), just add a headphone HTRF like AstoundSurround or Dolby Headphone and a headphone amp (or, I guess recommend an existing FiiO amp to connect next in the audio chain) and we'd be golden. :D

Maybe a 2-piece system would be best... a DSP and DAC unit near the console to make the analogue signal with headphone surround, then a "gamer's amp" with RCA input and chat input. That way, gamers could control volume easily from the couch position, and FiiO could even sell the "gamer's amp" separately for those who prefer stereo gaming or would like to add headphone surround later. It would be super cool if the "gamer's amp" could separately control volume for game audio, chat audio, and mic input.

I don't actually understand what the D07 does, it has multi-channel input but only stereo outputs and no mention of what it does with the surround sound information. The English description is poor and not adequate to explain the D07's functionality. :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #47 of 90
That transmitter does have a nice wealth of inputs and an acceptable size.

What I want to know more about is this device, seems closer to what the petition is looking for as far as functionality goes:
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000039443512&MenuID=105026003
I assume it already has a DSP to decode Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect (and the others), just add a headphone HTRF like AstoundSurround or Dolby Headphone and a headphone amp (or, I guess recommend an existing FiiO amp to connect next in the audio chain) and we'd be golden.
biggrin.gif

Maybe a 2-piece system would be best... a DSP and DAC unit near the console to make the analogue signal with headphone surround, then a "gamer's amp" with RCA input and chat input. That way, gamers could control volume easily from the couch position, and FiiO could even sell the "gamer's amp" separately for those who prefer stereo gaming or would like to add headphone surround later. It would be super cool if the "gamer's amp" could separately control volume for game audio, chat audio, and mic input.

I don't actually understand what the D07 does, it has multi-channel input but only stereo outputs and no mention of what it does with the surround sound information. The English description is poor and not adequate to explain the D07's functionality.
frown.gif

No way, something like the W1 would be more ideal for a gaming device than the D07, IMO. It's the perfect size to include most of what we ask. But yes, the D07 does have the right idea as far as functionality goes. Also, a 2-piece system might raise costs... resulting in a higher priced device.

I say gut the W1, and start from there... maybe even call it the W2 when all said and done...

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #48 of 90
A 1-piece item would of course be fine (especially for headphones with long cords, and mic solutions plugged straight into a controller and completely separate from the audio path), I just thought I'd share an option I thought of. A 2-piece setup and an all-in-one device would both have different advantages.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #49 of 90
True, but remember you said yourself let's try not complicate and overwhelm them with too many different ideas... keep it simplistic and affordable :wink:

But if it can be done, two different versions (like the mixamp pro and mixamp 5.8) at two different price points would absolutely be a win, win...

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #50 of 90
What I was talking about then was Hardware features are FiiO's strength's, developing their own software algorithms and working with game developers is not within FiiO's business range. I think FiiO understands exactly what a separate DAC and AMP with extra volume knobs would be like to design, but it would be mostly fruitless to try explaining how to build a PC soundcard and why OpenAL failed.

Since I already have my chat situation figured out and an E12 amp, a D07 with headphone surround output would be more affordable for me than an all-in-one :D To each their own though, right? That's why I was originally thinking of an E17 with a DSP added, it would have almost everything a gamer would need to upgrade their immersion.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #51 of 90
Yes, to each their own. But in a living room concept something like the W1 would make more sense... consoles are in living rooms, correct? You're now diving into portable territory... which does make sense for people with your intentions. But for the wider market, and to target both PC AND console gamers... an all in one device with multiple inputs (similar to the W1) would be a great start, wouldn't it?

I'm sorry, but something the size of the E17 and D07 just isn't sitting right with me. A part of me would believe something that size would have its limits in capability, just for portabikty convenience.

I say aim for the big boy first, then work on something portable after.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #52 of 90
Consoles are usually in living rooms and college dormitories. Sometimes in bedrooms. The size of the DSP/DAC unit wouldn't matter because it just sits near the console or PC, the size/portability of the amp wasn't the focus of why I was saying 2-piece setup would be good, the volume control within arms reach from a couch (and modular upgrades) was. If FiiO made a headphone surround DSP/DAC that had a line-out you could use with your Asgard 2 that satisfies your "big boy" needs, wouldn't that be a nice option for you as an example of someone who has already upgraded to high-tier components?

Separately, at the beginning of this thread I said the E17 that FiiO makes is already almost there, just needs the DSP. No mention yet of portability, so... dunno why you started talking about that. It's a good beginner's point. The E17 is plenty amp to satisfy the typical budding headphone-enthusiast's gear (AD700, HD558, MA900, X1, to name a few, Mad Lust Envy has bought the E17 several times for simplicity's sake), and it has a dock with a line-out to if someone wanted to connect to an amp with more power like the E09k or, say, Asgard 2. Pretty sure that covers the needs of the majority of the market, good first product and competitive to the market.

I wasn't talking about portability, but since you brought it up, portability IS nice for gamers, even in the home. Say you can't leave your gear sitting out: a USB or battery powered device is easier to put away and take out, more convenient if the only place you have to set it down is in your lap. In a dorm, it takes up less space on a tiny desk and requires less power-outlet juggling. And for many people, gaming is a social experience, portable is useful when you want to take your personal setup to a LAN party, college media room, friend's basement, tournament, etc. Psychologically, a smaller device is less intimidating. A lot of people just don't think you need a big "thing" for a headphone, they want portable headphones and portable devices, that's just how they associate them. Lastly, the overwhelming majority of FiiO's products are portable. You seem to like the E12.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #53 of 90
You never brought up portability, but every case you make aims towards it. All I'm saying is think of the vast majority of gamers... which probably have both a PC AND a console... and need multiple inputs on such a device.

Sure, an E17 would be a sweet spot as far as size and performance goes... but do you think they can really put all those multiple inputs on such a small device, while still having a room for its hardware to perform at an audiophile level? This is why I argue that size does matter in this case (what are we talkin about, again?). W1, all the way man... because it will be just as convenient as the E17 (and "portable"), with more room to operate within... along with out.

Yes, Mad has purchased the E17 a million times for its simplicity. But how many times has he sold it? And do you think he's not going to sell it again? We each have our own opinion... and neither one of us are swaying the other way. So, I'm done with my input on this....

And... lastly... yes, I love my E12... but solely for my portable rig. Key word being "portable" since I am the one that brought it up. If I loved it as much as you impose then my wallet would be much healthier... and I would be the average consumer.

Edit: I thought the whole purpose of this was to innovite while still being reasonable? What you just implied seems like it would be not much different than what is already out on the market. I may be incorrect, but isn't the E17 only slightly more powerful than the mixamp alone?

Isn't another reason we started this was so we can have something to pair nicely with a suitable amp (when needed). Also, what if the battery dies in the middle of a long session. How does your E12 perform while its charging?

Again, we had this conversation the other day if I could remember correctly. So I'm really done now lol.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #54 of 90
As a 5.8 advocate, I'd be more interested in a wireless one, though for the purpose of audiophilia, I hope Fiio starts simple, with a wired solution.

I love my E17, but I'd love it even more if it had the E12's power. For the sake of versatility, and maybe removing the need for an external amp, I wish Fiio starts witb the E12 power specs, with a dac and dsp. It'd be worth it, even if it was pricier. This would eliminate clutter, and less hassle.

Of course, I'd be all for desktop sized one, like a Fiio E9k type, but with 2ohm or less output impedance. Fiio really needs to stop using the 10ohm output.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #55 of 90
As a 5.8 advocate, I'd be more interested in a wireless one, though for the purpose of audiophilia, I hope Fiio starts simple, with a wired solution.

I love my E17, but I'd love it even more if it had the E12's power. For the sake of versatility, and maybe removing the need for an external amp, I wish Fiio starts witb the E12 power specs, with a dac and dsp. It'd be worth it, even if it was pricier. This would eliminate clutter, and less hassle.

Of course, I'd be all for desktop sized one, like a Fiio E9k type, but with 2ohm or less output impedance. Fiio really needs to stop using the 10ohm output.

Lol one of the downsides of that damn TI headphone amp IC. It's really popular among consumer products but it needs a 10 ohm resistor added as per TI. The upside is its relatively cheaper than implementing a more expensive amp stage using op amps for amplification. Its also got decent power at 80 MW into 600 ohms.

And I think it has to do with the voltage regulation stage not needing to be so extensive since its straight DC powered. So it doesn't need the IC to help out? I could be wrong, just a theory.

Anyway I agree with you. They should implement an amp stage similar to that of the magni. That would be perfect. And it being built in Asia should be a lot cheaper.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #56 of 90

I say gut the W1, and start from there... maybe even call it the W2 when all said and done...

If it's the start of their gaming line I think the model G1 would be more appropriate. You'd want to have it named distinctly so that people don't assume it's an upgrade to the W1. Since they've taken to naming their amps after famous mountains, maybe they can add a similar system to a gaming line. "The FiiO G1 'Kojima'"

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #58 of 90
The wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. The astro mixamp is a good product, that is lacking in the audio quality department. The low audible hiss, lack of DTS, poor quality audio connectors that break easily. All that being said, it is clearing the best external solution currently for console gaming, PC gamers have the luxury of a sound card. 

But this goes further, it would also sell well for people to use with their TV for late night movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back