Petition for a "Gaming" device from FiiO
Jan 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 90
I'm in. Big fan of FiiO products and being the avid gamer that I am, it would be great to upgrade from my DSS to something even better. The price must be reasonable and gamers-friendly though (sub 200, anyone?).

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 90
 I mean headsets that have a usb..like my sennheiser u320..it works with pc over usb and consoles over rca!

Adding just a USB Port alone won't work. The headsets are built to work with windows drivers so it needs an OS kernel to communicate still. Besides you'll end up bypassing the DAC. The whole point for this device. A device like this would be made for analogue and nothing less.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 90
Adding just a USB Port alone won't work. The headsets are built to work with windows drivers so it needs an OS kernel to communicate still. Besides you'll end up bypassing the DAC. The whole point for this device.

A device like this would be made for analogue and nothing less.

That's what I was thinking would happen.

I thought a USB headset basically meant it had it's own soundcard, and that would clash with the point of this device.

This device is geared towards users of higher end analog headphones anyways.  I think USB headsets top out at the Senneheiser G4ME in quality, and the $200+ mid-fi cans are a tier up from those.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 90
I mean headsets that have a usb..like my sennheiser u320..it works with pc over usb and consoles over rca!

If it works with consoles through RCA, then it supports analog and you could theoretically still use it by just running a 3.5mm male to male from the USB dongle into this device.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 90

That's what I was thinking would happen.

I thought a USB headset basically meant it had it's own soundcard, and that would clash with the point of this device.

This device is geared towards users of higher end analog headphones anyways.  I think USB headsets top out at the Senneheiser G4ME in quality, and the $200+ mid-fi cans are a tier up from those.

It's not a bad little headset the u320..i use it with a arcam r dac over rca..it's quite good..got it's only little amplifier dongle, it's hasn't got a dac,,it has some surround but no dolby headphone or virtual surround!

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 90
Reposted this on a few PC gaming and audio communities on Google+. Hopefully we can get this baby rolling hard.

Also maybe it would be worth it to make a youtube video explaining this. Perhaps from one of you guys who actually have viewers not like my poverty channel lol.

Update: Also posted a thread for this over on Guru3D's audio and hifi forum.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 90
Reposted this on a few PC gaming and audio communities on Google+. Hopefully we can get this baby rolling hard.

Also maybe it would be worth it to make a youtube video explaining this. Perhaps from one of you guys who actually have viewers not like my poverty channel lol.

Update: Also posted a thread for this over on Guru3D's audio and hifi forum.

Wow.  Thanks for that!

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #25 of 90
My body is ready. I'll link this on the guide once I get on the computer.

And for the love of god, have more than ONE digital input. Gamers tend to have multiple consoles, and having to buy an external switcher or swap out cables is a hassle.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 90
My body is ready. I'll link this on the guide once I get on the computer.

And for the love of god, have more than ONE digital input. Gamers tend to have multiple consoles, and having to buy an external switcher or swap out cables is a hassle.

THIS!!!!

I didn't realize how annoying that would be until I started using my NFB 15.32 with my Xbox and PC... Constantly switching out optical cables.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 90

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 90
HDMI input, please! S/PDIF is fine for most recent console gaming purposes, but then you have to take the Wii U into account, which doesn't have S/PDIF output and would force me to decode a Dolby Pro Logic II signal over analog for surround...

That aside, I'm definitely in the market for anything that can replace my SU-DH1, which isn't exactly spectacular when it comes to sound quality and lacks chat mixing, but has DTS decoding and all three Dolby Headphone modes to choose from.

I don't care who makes it as long as it's made well; if it happens to be FiiO, then I guess this'll mark my first-ever FiiO product purchase.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 90
Here are some features the device would need:

• + Optical/toslink input
  • + Support for Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding
  • + Support for Virtual Surround Sound encoding (such as Dolby Headphone, GenAudio Astoundsound, etc.)
  • + Audiophile grade DAC section WITH a line-out
  • + Headset and chat support

Here are some additional features requests for the device:

• + Multiple digital inputs
  • + HDMI input
  • + Digital Equalizer
  • + Support for DTS decoding
  • + Digital output of processed signal

What would Dolby headphone or Genaudio Astoundsound support entail? As far as I know these are handled by the computer / console and output a processed stereo output that would only need to be amplified or decoded in the case of a digital output (insofar as all digital output need to be decoded by a DAC like the E18)?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #30 of 90
HDMI input, please! S/PDIF is fine for most recent console gaming purposes, but then you have to take the Wii U into account, which doesn't have S/PDIF output and would force me to decode a Dolby Pro Logic II signal over analog for surround...

So the unit would need to have a HDMI input and a HDMI output (to pass the signal onto the TV)?

BTW, how would headset and chat support work? For a USB connection with a PC we just need to preset a microphone input to the PC via USB right? What about for consoles?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back