Petition: Bring Back the HE Audio Jades
Dec 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #91 of 158
My HiFiMAN distributor said that when he went to the colorado show, people were asking about the jade II and one of the HiFiMAN reps winked when asked if they planned on bringing a new one.

My sales rep told me this casually, but he said people got excited by the reaction.

Here's hoping!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #92 of 158
Signed.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #93 of 158
I think this might've worked. On the HiFiMan customer service thread, a Eric from the customer service team said that there is "No exact date yet" in response to the announcement of a new flagship, so something's definitely cooking up at HiFiMan headquarters. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #94 of 158
How much did these cost when they were in production?

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #96 of 158
Quote:

i remember the price being similar to the HE-6

edit: google says $1499

Oh, thats all? Thats low for one of the best in the world. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #97 of 158
Quote:
Signing. If I decide to go for a 'stat, might as well be the best - the successor of Jade. Currently there's only Stax really and they have a certain not-entirely-neutral sound.

and a stupidly high pricetag. Seriously, $600 for an entry-level system is inexcusable, and don't even get me started about the SR-009.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #98 of 158
Quote:
and a stupidly high pricetag. Seriously, $600 for an entry-level system is inexcusable, and don't even get me started about the SR-009.

STAX knew nothing commercially available came close to their SR009s in terms of performance, so they had the freedom to really mark up the pricing. And why wouldn't they? It's extra profit that doesn't mar their conscience.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #100 of 158
Quote:

Please. Do tell waht comparable system is there on the market in that price level? From under the same roof that is.

Besides, It's a boutique company, regardless of how much attention they get here on HF. Don't like it? Go mainstream.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #101 of 158
Signed, would love a good Stax alternative. Especially if they're cheaper than the similar specced Stax.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #102 of 158
Having a diverse selection of electrostats on the market is awesome, but what's with the Stax-knocking?

You guys are aware that the Jade in stock form isn't particularly neutral either, right? It's still a fantastic sounding headphone IMO, but Purrin's mods are responsible for straightening them out a bit. Secondly, calling entry-level Stax "stupidly overpriced" is a little puzzling. Which $600 system are we talking about here? The SRM-002 / SR-002 is designed to be a portable solution, and in the realm of IEMs its pricetag isn't that unreasonable compared to other stuff on the market considering it's both an IEM and a portable amp combo; you can certainly spend that much on just one of those items alone. As for fullsized headphones, the Lambdas can pretty much hold their own against anything similarly priced in my opinion. You can score some vintage normal bias Lambdas and a transformer for well under $600. On the flipside I'm sure there are some folks who feel the Jades were overpriced at $1600 when they literally fell apart after a few weeks of normal use. Or had buzzing stators. Say what you will about the way Stax sound (as we all have different tastes), but they certainly know how to build stuff that lasts. If HeadDirect takes over for production on the Jade II and can up the build quality, that will be a very welcomed change indeed.

Personally, I'd rather pay more for the Jade II and have it be built to last than pay less and not see any improvements from the previous iterations.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #103 of 158
Quote:
Quote:

Please. Do tell waht comparable system is there on the market in that price level? From under the same roof that is.

Besides, It's a boutique company, regardless of how much attention they get here on HF. Don't like it? Go mainstream.

Chill, dude. I'm not questioning the quality of the product. I'm more appalled that the absolute minimum you can spend for an electrostatic headphone is $600. Stax should have some lower cost systems.

And don't bother mentioning the electrostatic IEMs, that's an entirely different product.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #104 of 158
It's an esoteric technology, the prices make sense to me.  Also, the absolute minimum you can spend is around $550 when Amazon auto-pricing decides to drop the ESP950s that low.  As far as what Stax "should do", they do as they damn well please, that much they have made clear.  They have, on multiple occasions, proven that they're willing to drive the company to the brink just to push the envelope & create a better headphone.  In true shokunin fashion, I don't think they care about money as much as they do their craft, or at least as much as other companies do.  

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #105 of 158
Quote:
It's an esoteric technology, the prices make sense to me.

Well, not that esoteric to me, there are people here (on head-fi) who have built their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back