PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 551

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
IT’S ABOUT TIME!!!

Appreciation Thread for PETEREK (formerly known as cCasperTFG)!!

Wanted to start a thread on the outstanding work and customer service of PETEREK!

After a little while here on Head-Fi and collecting a few headphones along the wonderful journey, I wanted removable cables on my phones that did not have them already.  Love the Grados, but using the adapter for my ¼” terminated ones was not fun.  Not only does it put stress on the headphone jack, if you have to move around with the added weight, it is not a pleasant experience in any way.

The DAP market has blown up and will continue to grow and I want to have the option to use all my phones plugged into them without carrying around a lot of weight.  As well as using them with my home amps.

Plugging a Furutech plug into a mini adapter into a DAP was almost as painful as LBJ leaving the Heat….Too much stress!!!

I reached out to B. PETEREK in reference to what I wanted to accomplish.  His communication was always on point and even when I had 80 questions, he took them all in stride and always answered in a very helpful way.

All communication was done through ETSY.

After he explained the best options, we went with the SMC connectors on my double entry phones.  I have several cables I use with my HE-300, which I can also use going this route and vice versa.  First up were my SR60 & SR225.

Outstanding work!!!  I was updated on the whole process along the way.  To be able to swap out cables, especially with Grados was just priceless.  The stock cables were converted to SMC while keeping the termination as well.

Up next are my D5ks.  I love the sexy sound of those phones but with a stock cable as thick as a python and about 27 feet long, they need some mod love.  I can probably get at least seven different terminated cables in all different sizes with that stock cable.

BIG THANKS B. and a BIG THANKS to Fleasbaby for the woodies on my SR225s!!!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Cheers!!!

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 551
(Reposting from the TH900 thread.)

I needed my TH900 converted to 4-pin XLR for use with my new Mjolnir 2 amp, and the awesome @PETEREK was able to take care of it for me (including an adapter with the original plug). He just supplied me with some gorgeous photos, and they're too amazing not to share. Highly recommended!

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 551
  More goodies from PETEREK!  Awesome work!!  Thanks B.!!!!!

What kind of connectors are these on the Denon's?

I wonder if a similar mod would be possible on the TH900 which has identical design but using HD800 female connectors instead (for use with HD800 stock or aftermarket cables).

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 551

I wonder if a similar mod would be possible on the TH900 which has identical design but using HD800 female connectors instead (for use with HD800 stock or aftermarket cables).

That looks like the HiFiMan connector type. I'm sure that @PETEREK would be able to add those (or the HD800 versions) onto the TH900. The stock TH900 cable is pretty great, though - I wouldn't throw that away unless I needed to! Just get it balanced with an adapter, like I did above with mine, and you should be good to go.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 551
That looks like the HiFiMan connector type. I'm sure that @PETEREK
 would be able to add those (or the HD800 versions) onto the TH900. The stock TH900 cable is pretty great, though - I wouldn't throw that away unless I needed to! Just get it balanced with an adapter, like I did above with mine, and you should be good to go.

What about getting the female HD800 connectors on the TH900, but keeping the stock cable and getting HD800 male connectors attached to it along with a balanced 4-pin connector?

Would be able to keep the stock cable sound but at the same time be able to experiment with after market cables if I wanted to.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 551
What about getting the female HD800 connectors on the TH900, but keeping the stock cable and getting HD800 male connectors attached to it along with a balanced 4-pin connector?

Would be able to keep the stock cable sound but at the same time be able to experiment with after market cables if I wanted to.

That's true, and would be very cool. Cable adventures!

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 551
That's true, and would be very cool. Cable adventures!

Yeah! The idea came to me as I was in the market for an afermarket balanced cable for my HD800's. It would be nice to be able to share cables between them and the TH900 with ease.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 551
Great pics guys!!!!!

Quote:

Hey pervysage,

As stated above, yes those are Hifiman connectors (SMC).  Cable rolling is awesome...lol...Different shapes, sizes and terminations...Using Grado stock SR225 cable with my Denons now.

Cheers!

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 551
Having just purchased a pair of LCD-X, I contacted @PETEREK for a quality balanced cable to replace the mediocre pack-in. He recommended the Double Helix Cables' Nucleotide. Looking forward to receiving these on Wednesday!

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 551
Thought I would post pics from @PETEREK of the work he did on my TH900's:

- TH900 modified with HD800 connections (for use with various HD800 cables that I will soon have in my collection 
tongue_smile.gif
)
- TH900 cable converted with HD800 connectors and 4-pin XLR
- Left over single-ended TH900 connector converted into a 4-pin XLR to single-ended connector for use with single-ended amps

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 551
Intro:

Wow I can't believe that I didn't find out about this thread until just a few minutes ago! I am definitely going to be sharing all of the work that @PETEREK has done for me over time. (And more to come I'm sure.) But hopefully this thread will allow more people to find out about his awesome work!

Fostex TH-600 Stage 1:

I'll start off with the Fostex TH-600 "detachable cable" mod that he did for me using Hifiman / mini-smc connectors. Up until owning my TH-600's I had always owned headphones that had detachable cables. But, I wasn't willing to give that luxury up, so I decided to have this little mod done which inevitably lead to many more mods being done to my TH-600's.

Preview:

Fostex TH-600 Stage 2:

Then, after getting the "detachable cable" mod finished, I spoke a lot back and forth with @PETEREK about what else I could do to my TH-600's to make them truly "one of a kind" and he suggested getting some different chambers so that is just what I did; along with adding some extra headband padding, the Lawton Audio dampening kit for the drivers and Lawton Audio Angle Pads for even more comfort.

Preview:

Unfortunately I ended up selling my TH-600's to finance a couple other projects that were also just recently completed by @PETEREK.

Beyerdynamic T5p:

Next up I will be sharing the complete over-haul that  did to my Beyerdynamic T5p's. When I first received these headphones from the seller in Russia (note: I live in the central US) they had some strange scuffs and grey markings on the original grills, but that did not phase me because I only had the original T5p's in my possession for about two days before I sent them off for modification.

This project started out as me thinking "how can I make these headphones more one of a kind than my TH-600's?" So when I was talking to  I basically just told him to "go crazy" with them and surprise me. He definitely did not disappoint! I will post the list of mods completed and the pictures below.

List of Mods Completed:

1. Dual 4-pin mini-xlr cable entries
  2. Additional bass-port
  3. Walnut wood inserts (Courtesy of @fleasbaby)
  4. Custom powder-coated yokes
  5. A Double-Helix Cables Nucleotide Cable terminated in 4-pin XLR w/ a 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adapter
  6. NOT PICTURED: Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads
  7. NOT PICTURED: Additional Beyerdynamic headband pad

Preview: 

Beyerdynamic T5p Cable:

And to go along with this newly defined pair of T5p's I commissioned a custom Double-Helix Cables Nucleotide cable terminated in 4-pin XLR with a 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adapter from @PETEREK as well.

Preview:

Conclusion:

All in all, @PETEREK is an absolute pleasure to work with and I look forward to working with him again in the future. Until then, keep up the great work!

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 551
PETEREK is the $h1t...I use him for all of my cabling on my builds...

I want removables on my next build (Magnum V6 drivers, Black Limba and Maple cups). I am worried about how big mini-XLR plugs are. The SNC ones look a lot slimmer...might chase that up with him.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 551
Just wanted to share with everyone what an amazing job PETEREK did on my custom T50rp headphones. Starting with a custom high gloss paint job with contrasting Fostex logos. He then added Lohb leather headband and glossy powder coated sliders and finished off the look with Shure alcantara earpads. The cable is PETEREK's custom litz cable terminated with ALO balanced pin. Overall, the build quality is excellent and exceeded all of my expectations. The pics below are amazing as he is well accomplished photographer, but they do not show how truly beautiful these headphones are. I own quite a few nice headphones and I love the look of my PETEREK more than any other headphone, they really are that nice! Having ample time to listen to these headphones I can say with no reservation that these are truly high fidelity with some of the best tuning possible. The timbre is very natural and there is a very addictive quality about the sound that makes all types of music shine. They sound great out of my Theorem 720, I can just listen to music and forget about everything else. Isn't that what the whole headphone experience is about?

Much thanks to B. PETEREK for making me such a wonderful headphone. Hopefully, he will continue to offer this service as I am already planning my next order. Great, great guy and most outstanding customer service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back