PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #196 of 551
  More sick work from PETEREK!

biggrin.gif

Those 400i's looks sweet! Is that a brown paint job on the cups or is that wood? Either way it looks awesome! And the EE-MU's are interesting too! I keep seeing more and more of that brand pop up around Head-Fi these days. Enjoy!

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #197 of 551

Those 400i's looks sweet! Is that a brown paint job on the cups or is that wood? Either way it looks awesome! And the EE-MU's are interesting too! I keep seeing more and more of that brand pop up around Head-Fi these days. Enjoy!

- InsanityOne :k701smile:

It's a dark candy-ish red, actually. This is what they supposedly look like in real life.

I was surprised at how different they look under PETEREK's lighting setup. :D

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #198 of 551
It's a dark candy-ish red, actually. This is what they supposedly look like in real life.

I was surprised at how different they look under PETEREK's lighting setup.
biggrin.gif

There we go! In that photo it definitely looks like a darker candy-red to me. Those will be sweet!

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #200 of 551
  Did a little photoshop of the image, I think this is what a candy red looks like on cars I've painted in the pass.

Personally I like both colors, but I do agree that there are several variations of "candy apple red". When I think of a "candy" color they always seem to have something mixed into the paint that makes them glitter or shine or something. Or maybe I am just thinking of something else?

Either way, this thread has been way too quiet over the past few weeks, I am curious to see more photos of some awesome PETEREK projects!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #201 of 551

Personally I like both colors, but I do agree that there are several variations of "candy apple red". When I think of a "candy" color they always seem to have something mixed into the paint that makes them glitter or shine or something. Or maybe I am just thinking of something else?

Either way, this thread has been way too quiet over the past few weeks, I am curious to see more photos of some awesome PETEREK projects!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Yeah man, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's been nothing but TH-X00 detachable mods, lately, hence the lack of photos being shared. Either that or peeps are being stingy with their photos haha.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #203 of 551
  I can't wait to get my X00s back. He must be swamped, 'cause they arrived 5 weeks ago today and still no word.

In some ways I wish others would start doing these mods, might have some fresh ideas for other mods.

As for the TH-X00 removable cable mods I think many want the 2.5mm jacks which takes much longer to do since he has to cut the baffle and cups while the SMC jacks requires no cutting and is much simpler to do.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #204 of 551
  In some ways I wish others would start doing these mods, might have some fresh ideas for other mods.

As for the TH-X00 removable cable mods I think many want the 2.5mm jacks which takes much longer to do since he has to cut the baffle and cups while the SMC jacks requires no cutting and is much simpler to do.

Yeah, in retrospect I wish I'd requested SMC connectors. I have some ebony cups I'll be putting on when (if?) I get my X00s back, but now I realize I'll have to dremel them a bit to fit on.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #205 of 551
  I can't wait to get my X00s back. He must be swamped, 'cause they arrived 5 weeks ago today and still no word.

The last set I had done was about a 4 week turnaround and they turned out great.

Contact him.  He has always been very good about giving updates on projects he was doing for me.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #206 of 551

The last set I had done was about a 4 week turnaround and they turned out great.

Contact him.  He has always been very good about giving updates on projects he was doing for me.

I contacted him a couple weeks ago and he said I was next in his queue, so I'll give him more time. I hate to pester! I'm happy to wait for good work. He's also making me a cable so that will add a bit of time. The irony of that is that I learned how to make cables myself in the time my headphones have been with him.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #207 of 551
  I contacted him a couple weeks ago and he said I was next in his queue, so I'll give him more time. I hate to pester! I'm happy to wait for good work. He's also making me a cable so that will add a bit of time. The irony of that is that I learned how to make cables myself in the time my headphones have been with him.

I asked him a lot of questions on doing the SMC mod for my TH-600, the mini-xlr for T1, DT-990 and we even talked about working out something for the K553.

Learning to build your own cables is one of the best things I learned how to do, sourcing parts seems like the harder task for me living in Hawaii since many companies don't even ship to Hawaii much less charge so much for shipping that its not worth it at times.  Since I sleeve cables for my computer system doing the same for headphones cables was pretty simple and since I like my cables as light as possible its easier to do it yourself.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #208 of 551
I asked him a lot of questions on doing the SMC mod for my TH-600, the mini-xlr for T1, DT-990 and we even talked about working out something for the K553.

Learning to build your own cables is one of the best things I learned how to do, sourcing parts seems like the harder task for me living in Hawaii since many companies don't even ship to Hawaii much less charge so much for shipping that its not worth it at times.  Since I sleeve cables for my computer system doing the same for headphones cables was pretty simple and since I like my cables as light as possible its easier to do it yourself.

Building cables is one thing, but braiding the wires correctly? I would much rather pay someone to do it for me :p

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #209 of 551

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think he is always coming up with cool ideas for mods and cables, etc. But it is true that the Fostex mods are super popular, and for good reason! I loved the detachable cable mod (I had SMC) on my previous modded TH-600. If you have an idea for a mod I would just send him a PM, spit-balling ideas is one of the best ways to spark some creativity!

I wouldn't call it pestering at all! Sending a PM every 2 or 3 weeks asking for a quick status update shouldn't be a problem at all. As many others have said in this thread, PETEREK is always really good about letting you know what is going on and what the status of your headphones is. I have done several projects through him and he has always been good about replying to any messages asking for updates.

Ah that must be a bummer indeed, living in Hawaii definitely has its pros and its cons I'm sure. I have always wanted to visit though! But speaking of sleeving PSU cables, I would say that it is difficult in a much different way than braiding headphone cables. Both really make a custom piece of gear look awesome though!

Building cables is one thing, but braiding the wires correctly? I would much rather pay someone to do it for me
tongue.gif

Haha I personally feel the same way. Someday I will get an 8-wire (or maybe even 16-wire) braided cable for one of my headphones. They are so stunning but the price is also equally as stunning.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #210 of 551
@InsanityOne, If you ever want to visit I live at the beginning of Waikiki, and walking distance to Ala Moana beach park

Building cables is one thing, but braiding the wires correctly? I would much rather pay someone to do it for me
tongue.gif

don't be so lazy
tongue.gif
 , kidding aside, braiding is the easier part of making cables for me, and if you build your own I think you get much more satisfaction out of them, nothing to do with sonic changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back