Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #211 of 440
These are like two vey narrow book shelf speakers but lighter then anything that comes to mind. I'm at the lowest setting. Have to use the channel balance on the Stax 353X. This is the biggest sound that I ever heard out of any headphone. I'm hoping they will balance out on their own I don't want to send them back. Bass is good for estat mids are good treble is nice with air. It's like an Abyss 1266 estat. pics coming
Thanks for your first impressions! I see that you listed the Perun Rock as the fourth headphones in your signature. Does that imply a preference ranking and if so, why so far down the line?

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #212 of 440
Thanks for your first impressions! I see that you listed the Perun Rock as the fourth headphones in your signature. Does that imply a preference ranking and if so, why so far down the line?
no I just wrote them as they pop in my head. I’ll place them as 3rd. Though 3rd I need a better energizer. I listened for about 20 minutes but had them burning in for a while. There’s a imbalance that stays there for a while. I need sometime to do a proper listen.

My one daughter couldn’t believe how big they are. On my head they are huge but comfortable. No pressure points does not clamp.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #213 of 440
no I just wrote them as they pop in my head. I’ll place them as 3rd. Though 3rd I need a better energizer. I listened for about 20 minutes but had them burning in for a while. There’s a imbalance that stays there for a while. I need sometime to do a proper listen.
So above the reasonably-priced Hive but below the ultra-expensive 1266 TC and Solitaire P?

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #214 of 440
I wouldn’t bother with low end estat you can get a better sounding planar. The Rock has the biggest wall of sound and it’s holographic.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #215 of 440
My one daughter couldn’t believe how big they are. On my head they are huge but comfortable. No pressure points does not clamp.
I, also, was surprised to see how large they appeared, within that picture that you had shared.

Would anybody within this thread know of what the dimensions are, for the housings for the Rocks?

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #217 of 440
Bigger then 1266 but light as a feather. I don’t feel like there’s something hanging as the depth of the rock is thin that my peripheral doesn’t pick it up.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #219 of 440
Leather and sued leather feels really nice. It might be cow not sure because it's not hard like cow skin. It just feels more expensive then lambskin.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #220 of 440
I wouldn’t bother with low end estat you can get a better sounding planar. The Rock has the biggest wall of sound and it’s holographic.
Interesting. I've considered the Perun Rock as a possible upgrade to my STAX L700, but I only have a STAX SRM-323S amp (equivalent to the SRM-353X, but single-ended)and AFAIK the Rock are much more power hungry that the L700.

When you listed the Hive I thought (hoped :)) it might magically be better than both at a lower price.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #221 of 440
About 5 5/8" tall, 4 1/8" wide and uncompressed about 2 1/8" thick. Hard to be precise without straight sides.
Thank you for sharing those measurements.
Bigger then 1266 but light as a feather. I don’t feel like there’s something hanging as the depth of the rock is thin that my peripheral doesn’t pick it up.
Yeah, They feel lighter than Stax SR-404, Apple AirPods Max. Comfort is great.
That is good to know that they, apparently, would feel that comfortable to wear, although they are that large.

Yeah, They feel lighter than Stax SR-404, Apple AirPods Max. Comfort is great.
Would you possibly be able to share your impression for how the sound performance for your Rocks compares to the sound performance for the SR-404s?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #222 of 440
You are getting more surface area and sound are separated very well. You'll have two sounds and one sounds outside the other so the micro and macro details are done very good. I had SR009s and sr007 mk2 and would rather own the Rock over those two. Those I remember listening on the BHSE and the Rock I'm just using Stax 353X and I know how much better it would be if I still had the BHSE.

Fitting them is actually important just like both Perun guys said. I'm actually lowering them on my head making the cups get closer to my shoulders so experimentation with fit important.

Listening before work holly cow besides having to use balance correction on my Stax amp it's great wake up in morning headphone.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #223 of 440
You are getting more surface area and sound are separated very well. You'll have two sounds and one sounds outside the other so the micro and macro details are done very good. I had SR009s and sr007 mk2 and would rather own the Rock over those two. Those I remember listening on the BHSE and the Rock I'm just using Stax 353X and I know how much better it would be if I still had the BHSE.
I believe that I previously have seen other people say that they enjoyed their Perun headphones more than they enjoyed those more expensive models of STAX's headphones.

It appears that the Rocks provide a very good value, regarding the sound performance for the price, in comparison to STAX's headphones.

I would be interested to know of somebody's impression for how Perun's headphones compare to the ES Lab ES-1as.

Has anybody within this thread listened to both of the current models for Perun's headphones?

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #224 of 440
These are like two vey narrow book shelf speakers but lighter then anything that comes to mind. I'm at the lowest setting. Have to use the channel balance on the Stax 353X. This is the biggest sound that I ever heard out of any headphone. I'm hoping they will balance out on their own I don't want to send them back. Bass is good for estat mids are good treble is nice with air. It's like an Abyss 1266 estat. pics coming
You need to charge'em up to 3-5-7 mins to avoid disbalance!

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #225 of 440
The owner emailed me about charge time.

I charged them for 30 minutes and still imbalance. Turned on amp then plugged them in with volume set to zero and left them alone. Have faint clicking noise thats on same side as imbalance. It's very low in volume. Starts after playing music and only noticable when music stops that's how quite it is.

Boy Arthur is always yelling at me in his emails! Bad enough my wife and mother in law are both Russian and yell at me all time now Perun geez can’t win. 😂 Ukrainians get no love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back