Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Dec 27, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #181 of 440
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #182 of 440
I don't know the size and it's a big headphone. I get the headphone in 1st measure it out and find one case that fits those measurements. For interior protection you could add a slip cover or bag.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #184 of 440
Well. . . I am still waiting on these headphones. Tracking says they were cleared to leave Moscow on 18 December. Nothing since. So here's another picture of them while I wait less patiently.
DSC_5894.jpeg

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #185 of 440
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #186 of 440
The varnish for covering Perun's cups I use English "Diamond", it is very hard on physical impact.

Earlier Russian Post worked very well and within 10-12 days the package with the headphones came to any point on the Earth.Now,because of the covid parcels are delayed at the customs of different countries.DSC_6729.JPG

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #188 of 440
Good news / potential bad news:
I have finally got my Perun Rock. Yay!

Now, I have noticed that on some songs, on some specific notes, I get a buzz or distortion on the right side :frowning2:
Good example that is VERY easy to reproduce is the first 5-10 seconds of Coldplay's Clocks.
Tried 2 amps with same exact result :frowning2:

ANY chance that issue will go away with burn-in?
My Perun Rock literally has 30 minutes on it for now...

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #189 of 440
Good news / potential bad news:
I have finally got my Perun Rock. Yay!

Now, I have noticed that on some songs, on some specific notes, I get a buzz or distortion on the right side :frowning2:
Good example that is VERY easy to reproduce is the first 5-10 seconds of Coldplay's Clocks.
Tried 2 amps with same exact result :frowning2:

ANY chance that issue will go away with burn-in?
My Perun Rock literally has 30 minutes on it for now...

After couple hours of burn-in, I gave it another listen. Now, I cannot hear it. I am not sure if:
a. Burn-in "fixed" the issue.
b. Issue is still there, but I cannot hear it anymore. It was subtle before, to be honest...
c. I was wrong earlier, and there was never an issue.

I will most definitely report back if I can hear that issue again!!
If someone else with Perun Rock can hear any such issue - please let us know.

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #191 of 440
After couple hours of burn-in, I gave it another listen. Now, I cannot hear it. I am not sure if:
a. Burn-in "fixed" the issue.
b. Issue is still there, but I cannot hear it anymore. It was subtle before, to be honest...
c. I was wrong earlier, and there was never an issue.

I will most definitely report back if I can hear that issue again!!
If someone else with Perun Rock can hear any such issue - please let us know.
So, any more impressions about the Perun Rock?

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #192 of 440
So, any more impressions about the Perun Rock?
I am ashamed to admit I did not do much "critical" listening, but found myself several times just enjoying the music... forgetting that I intended to pay attention (critically) to the headphones...
That is an excellent sign, IMHO :wink:

Most of my music is Rock (soft / pop-rock / classic rock / alternative) as well as Metal (not too hard-core metal... think Metallica / Nightwish / Accept etc.) - for those music types, the Perun Rock is very satisfying. Not as "meaty" as some dynamic headphones (like ZMF) but faster and more airy. I love both "signatures" so different flavors for different moods.
For eStat - great bass!! Personally, I still like good dynamic or planar bass more, but eStat brings speed and tightness to the bass - so choose your poison.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #193 of 440
Well . . . I have my headphones now. Random first impressions:

Very comfortable, very light feeling on the head. I have a fairly large head (7.5" hat size) and I have the sliders all the way down to the smallest position. Not sure how well they would fit someone with a small head.

They take longer to reach full volume (charge the stators, I guess) than other electrostatics. Maybe 5 minutes until settled in. This is the same whether I use Stax SRM-006tII or Mjolnir KGSS Klassik.

Clean tight deep bass, better than I have heard on other electrostatic headphones. Still has the magic "air" in the mids and highs that makes me love electrostatic headphones and speakers.

I have listened to baroque chamber music, No Doubt, Gnarls Barkley, The Who, Cat Stevens, and more. All has been very satisfying.

I have a nit or two to pick about finish. The upgraded cable has a twist in it from where it splits to go to the left ear and I can't figure out how to remove the twist without creating a twist on the right. There are small places where the varnish (clear coat) on the wood isn't smooth and a couple of edges that don't seem to have received the clear coat.

But so far, for the price, I don't think you can beat them. I'll try to take some pictures later.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #194 of 440
Very comfortable, very light feeling on the head. I have a fairly large head (7.5" hat size) and I have the sliders all the way down to the smallest position. Not sure how well they would fit someone with a small head.

That's a bit worrisome given that I tend to wear hats on the medium to small side 🤔. Is the Perun Rock only for people with larger heads, @Koval ?

Clean tight deep bass, better than I have heard on other electrostatic headphones. Still has the magic "air" in the mids and highs that makes me love electrostatic headphones and speakers.

[...]

But so far, for the price, I don't think you can beat them.

Interesting! What other headphones do you have? Could you please compare them?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #195 of 440
That's a bit worrisome given that I tend to wear hats on the medium to small side 🤔. Is the Perun Rock only for people with larger heads, @Koval ?
I do not wear hats, so no clue what's my hat size, but my head is average or even leaning to the smaller size (I think).
I have no issues of fit or comfort with the Perun Rock. YMMV as always...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back