Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Sep 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #152 of 440
From myself, I can say: in the Rock version there are simply more low frequencies ... and that's it.
Any disadvantages?

Are they heavier due to the bigger size and two way construction?

Do they have dust covers? How much do you have to take care of them?

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #153 of 440
From myself, I can say: in the Rock version there are simply more low frequencies ... and that's it.
Thanks. I appreciate your feedback.

Any disadvantages?

Are they heavier due to the bigger size and two way construction?

Do they have dust covers? How much do you have to take care of them?
Yeah - I am also curious. I am a little of a basshead, and mostly listen to rock and metal music, so I thought Rock version would be a better fit for me.
Arthur was very clear about how (in his opinion) I should go with PLS and the upgrade cable (which adds a little bit of bass). He stated the PLS with upgrade cable should have plenty bass. Definitely more than ANY Stax headphone!
So... I did place an order for PLS with upgrade cable, but I will be lying if I said I am not still thinking about this decision...... :thinking:
Both are probably amazing, so one cannot go wrong :wink:
(visually, I do like the PLS shape better!)

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #154 of 440
Wow nice!
I am also pretty determined to buy me a live or rock once i got enough cash.

I totally love that wood look and design compared to those ugly stax things

My Kaldas RR1 got me hooked on estats and this should be the bang for the buck estates.
So would be interesting to hear some impressions.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #155 of 440
Hi guys I'm a stax noob who recently impulse bought a pair of PLS with upgraded cable and this is what I think about them so far:
As a disclaimer, I don't have golden ears, and I'm not much if a writer so bear with me. :darthsmile:
Right out of the box, they look just as great as they do the in the photos.I got the red color which I think makes the PLS way more luxurious and the wood quality definitely lives up to expectations.
In terms of comfort, they're very comfortable. If I had to nit-pick I'd say the headband likes to stay flat on my head so it can hurt the very top of after about 2 hours, but with some padding I managed to fix it. Honestly, it might just be me. :shrug:
Probably my favorite part about the PLS is how easy they are to drive. I have a 323s and 727a and both drive the PLS so well I don't feel an upgrade to a KG amp would benefit me at all.
Regarding sound, all I'm gonna say is that they blow anything e-stat I've owned out of the park. (nectar sound pollinator, sr-003, and a esp-950). The pollinator is honestly about the same bass quantity but i prefer the improved resolution of the bass on the PLS. The sound staging is wider than the above 3, and so is the dynamic range.

thanks guys. sorry for the crap post :smiley:

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #156 of 440
Hi guys I'm a stax noob who recently impulse bought a pair of PLS with upgraded cable and this is what I think about them so far:
As a disclaimer, I don't have golden ears, and I'm not much if a writer so bear with me. :darthsmile:
Right out of the box, they look just as great as they do the in the photos.I got the red color which I think makes the PLS way more luxurious and the wood quality definitely lives up to expectations.
In terms of comfort, they're very comfortable. If I had to nit-pick I'd say the headband likes to stay flat on my head so it can hurt the very top of after about 2 hours, but with some padding I managed to fix it. Honestly, it might just be me. :shrug:
Probably my favorite part about the PLS is how easy they are to drive. I have a 323s and 727a and both drive the PLS so well I don't feel an upgrade to a KG amp would benefit me at all.
Regarding sound, all I'm gonna say is that they blow anything e-stat I've owned out of the park. (nectar sound pollinator, sr-003, and a esp-950). The pollinator is honestly about the same bass quantity but i prefer the improved resolution of the bass on the PLS. The sound staging is wider than the above 3, and so is the dynamic range.

thanks guys. sorry for the crap post :smiley:
Haha - sounds like you got MY Peruns... I have ordered the PLS with upgrade cable in red, too.
Unfortunately, I won't see mine before December... Quite a long queue now! :frowning2:

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #157 of 440
Regarding sound, all I'm gonna say is that they blow anything e-stat I've owned out of the park. (nectar sound pollinator, sr-003, and a esp-950)
What's their sound signature like? Is there anything they do particularly well or poorly? Pics?
I'm really curious about these especially if all the praise thus far is warranted.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #158 of 440
I have PLS and I would say they have amazing bass performance very linear and goes deep. You do not need cable as much as a KGSSHV carbon for plenty of bass. I wish they had a little more top end ... but mid and bass performance is good but the bass is slower than Stax ones and not much volume. They do not punch but they rumble deep.

So Rock version has more bass volume compared to PLS?

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #159 of 440
Roсk :

АЧХ УЖЗ.jpg

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #160 of 440
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #161 of 440
I would only buy rock version (or any perun) bcz they have a squarish shape as lamda and HD600 which is my preferd shape for image specifity, forward vocals, and can hear instruments from mic position.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #162 of 440
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #163 of 440
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #164 of 440
Looks like two bookshelves is the new 😜
Look way bigger than I thought...
When my pair arrives - I hope the bottom does not go below my jaw line! :scream:
Seriously, I hope it is not too big for medium sized head (at least I think my head is average. Definitely not a very large head here...).

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #165 of 440
I’m going to wear them in public just ordered Rock in blue with upgraded cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back