Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #406 of 440
My current plan is to compare the two Peruns and then stack them up to the ES-1a, Abyss TC, Susvara, DCA Stealth, LCD-X, and a few others I have on hand or on the way.
If people are going to call them giant killers, I am planning on testing that theory.
I'm eagerly waiting on those comparisons. I will probably end up deciding between He1000 stealth or Perun rock, so the susvara comparison will be interesting. Especially curious in how the Rock's newest drivers stack up against planar bass, and what the soundstage is like.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #407 of 440
Sep 16, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #408 of 440
Update:
I will also be comparing to X9000 and both RAAL headphones.

Update 2:
Should be arriving this week. I hope they arrive safely and in good, working condition.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #409 of 440
For the price, Perun Live Sound is a very good value.
I would easily add it to my list of recommendations, especially for those just getting into estats.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #411 of 440
What is the best Perun model right now? Or what are general differences between them?
Been kind of looking at this brand recently and I started to wonder.

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #412 of 440
What is the best Perun model right now? Or what are general differences between them?
Been kind of looking at this brand recently and I started to wonder.
It depends on what sort of sound you prefer.
Live Sound is more of that open, airy sound. Feels more refined.
Rock is darker and more intimate. Much more bass.

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #413 of 440
That is very good, I'll have to ponder upon those two options to decide :)

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #414 of 440
Latest Perun Rock are way more stable and reliable than the first iterations. And also have a higher sound level, generally. Mainly represented in the bass hardness and speed and the far treble extention. However, the version that you are currently discussing imo isnt particularly great since its whole treble level got lowered compared vs the midrange. And the lower subbass was also better in some of the previous versions. However, Alexander said that his most recent update will have quiter midrange (=> treble level will be higher) and harder and deeper lower bass. So I hope it will have a fine sound signature.

Perun Live are brighter. But they are still bassier and darker than most of the Stax cans.

However, I'd still vote on getting the Rock ones (I owned 2, sold one, soon receiving the latest iteration) as they have way better subbass quality, dynamics and extention and the furthest treble extention compared vs Live (even though the treble "quantity" is higher in Live).

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #415 of 440
Latest Perun Rock are way more stable and reliable than the first iterations. And also have a higher sound level, generally. Mainly represented in the bass hardness and speed and the far treble extention. However, the version that you are currently discussing imo isnt particularly great since its whole treble level got lowered compared vs the midrange. And the lower subbass was also better in some of the previous versions. However, Alexander said that his most recent update will have quiter midrange (=> treble level will be higher) and harder and deeper lower bass. So I hope it will have a fine sound signature.

Perun Live are brighter. But they are still bassier and darker than most of the Stax cans.

However, I'd still vote on getting the Rock ones (I owned 2, sold one, soon receiving the latest iteration) as they have way better subbass quality, dynamics and extention and the furthest treble extention compared vs Live (even though the treble "quantity" is higher in Live).

Very helpful

How would these two models compare to the X9k or 007mk1, in case u r familiar with either?

Thank you 🙏

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #416 of 440
Very helpful

How would these two models compare to the X9k or 007mk1, in case u r familiar with either?

Thank you 🙏

SR-X9000 are more open sounding. They have a more audiophile-like sound signature. This is easily shown in the death metal. You get some of the frequencies over-covered by others. Stax is a lot more linear and all the small pieces and details are more opened and are heard more easily. But in the calm genres I wouldnt tell the difference in the details. Vocals vibrato, violin textures n stuff are pretty equal. Bass though defenitelly goes in favor of Perun. It reaches way way lower and is a lot harder, densier and more dynamic. And there s just simply more bass in Perun.

SR-007mk1 (Japan, the brown ones) have a cooler timbre - Perun is warmer by a significant margin. Also, Perun has a lot more details in the midrange and greater vocal dynamics. Also, Perun' subbass reaches lower. And Perun has more upped bass - the "body". The treble is a lot less sharp and a lot less hard in Perun, it sounds way more natural.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #417 of 440

The version I own is the latest Perun Rock.
Can't say I necessarily agree with the stability bit, but I also haven't tried the earlier iterations.

I was told that my Rock needs to be run on a normal bias amplifier to stop some of the weirdness.
It still sounds fine and the weirdness slowly goes away a bit with time (so that it isn't noticeable while playing tracks) but it's still not as stable as Live Sound.

-----

SIDE NOTE:
Anyone who wants to skip the multi-month wait -- feel free to buy my Rock and Live Sound!
Selling below cost.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #418 of 440
SR-X9000 are more open sounding. They have a more audiophile-like sound signature. This is easily shown in the death metal. You get some of the frequencies over-covered by others. Stax is a lot more linear and all the small pieces and details are more opened and are heard more easily. But in the calm genres I wouldnt tell the difference in the details. Vocals vibrato, violin textures n stuff are pretty equal. Bass though defenitelly goes in favor of Perun. It reaches way way lower and is a lot harder, densier and more dynamic. And there s just simply more bass in Perun.

SR-007mk1 (Japan, the brown ones) have a cooler timbre - Perun is warmer by a significant margin. Also, Perun has a lot more details in the midrange and greater vocal dynamics. Also, Perun' subbass reaches lower. And Perun has more upped bass - the "body". The treble is a lot less sharp and a lot less hard in Perun, it sounds way more natural.

Thank you. Your references really help paint a clear picture what it may sound like. Very much appreciated!!!

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #419 of 440

I do agree with your assessments of the STAX headphones versus my Peruns, for the most part.

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #420 of 440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back