Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #932 of 1,454
Thinking about this. Hopefully someone can give advice. "Be" Restock V1 is available for sale on the periodic audio website. The price is $ 120 cheaper which means a lot to my wallet. Am I lucky to buy this compared to the newest version? What things did I not get? can the quality be accounted for considering this old stock?

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #933 of 1,454
Having owned both V1 and V2 Periodic phones, I can say that quality will not be an issue. Biggest difference is in a slightly different cable with splitter and plug housing being a rubber compound rather than metal. The right screen was colored red in the later version to make it easier to identify right from left. SQ is exactly the same. All packaging and accessories are identical. Your wallet will smile as will you when you hear the Be!

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #934 of 1,454
Dan, is it correct that the speaker driver isn't under the Periodic Audio umbrella? From what you told me at CanJam London it sounded intriguing. Is there some other brand / label / twitter / instagram we can follow for updates on it?
Correct. www.nouaudio.com - different company, different principals, different markets altogether. Same insanity of "doing it all different" though...:)

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #935 of 1,454
Correct. www.nouaudio.com - different company, different principals, different markets altogether. Same insanity of "doing it all different" though...:)
Thank you, Dan. I remembered recently I have a pair of nice desktop enclosures in the garage that could use a retrofit, so I'll look forward to trying with these drivers.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #937 of 1,454
Having owned both V1 and V2 Periodic phones, I can say that quality will not be an issue. Biggest difference is in a slightly different cable with splitter and plug housing being a rubber compound rather than metal. The right screen was colored red in the later version to make it easier to identify right from left. SQ is exactly the same. All packaging and accessories are identical. Your wallet will smile as will you when you hear the Be!

I agree 100% with HiFlight with the V1 and V2. The update with the V2 is in the right direction as far as "upgrades" go. The purpose of my initial V1 B-stock purchase was to have a great sounding DD iem on the go, while I leave my custom DD monitors at home. I thought I got a great deal with the V1 b-stock, but over time, I did find the cable too springing and very tangle prone, especially when stowed. The V2 does a great job alleviating the woes that I found with the V1 cable. The more noticeable red right-channel-nozzle indicator is a nice touch, but even though like many expressed a preference to have a touch indicator, perhaps my emphasis for one doesn't match the actual need for one the longer I listened with the BE. After all, most tracks pans out both channels at the same time, with a few tracks that plays only on one channel or spans from left/right or vice versa for a brief second or two, especially with binaural and Pink Floyd albums. Like a well tuned DD, I feel that the BE aren't voice to analyze music, but to immensely enjoy it. And as I said before, the BE does this with aplomb, even though most of the time, I make the effort to correctly insert L/R ear piece out of principle.

Sound quality wise, the BE V2 MSRP price is still quite a bargain (do yourself a favor and skip the V1). If you're fortunate enough to get a blemished unit directly from Dan, it's without any doubt, an absolute steal. It's nice to have updates on a product without an increase in price. I'm hoping for a BE V3, if there ever will be one, to have quad wires from end to end within a beefier cable, and ha-ha, a significant raised dot channel indicator.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #938 of 1,454
See my post #486 in this thread for an easy tactile means of channel identification and a simple chin slider. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #940 of 1,454
See my post #486 in this thread for an easy tactile means of channel identification and a simple chin slider. :relaxed:

Ah yes, I recall seeing your ingenuity. I also use Complys with the BE, and I ended up purchasing a pack of red colored Complys. Additionally, I made a chin slider by cutting off about 1/8 inch from the opposite end of a silicon ear tip. Couldn't get it stretch properly over the V1 larger connector/y-splitter without breaking, but just fine over the V2.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #941 of 1,454
Hi David...

I haven't been using my Be much lately. I got some new phones just to sample with the current crop sounds like. Having once owned the Andromeda and quickly sold it, I just wondered if the new Andro S was an improvement. It was, but not enough to keep it, so it will be resold. I also just got the RHA CL2 planar. So far, it seems like a keeper with superb detail and transparency. Very realistic timbre. Overall, better than the Andromeda S for less money, IMO.

You might have noticed my review of the Moondrop Kanas Pro that I posted under the Head Gear tab. It is a DLC single dynamic driver. Frankly, I like the depth of soundstage and realistic presentation better than the CA. I still think the Orion was their best effort, I still have mine.

Hope all is going well with you and your family.

Cheers...
Ron

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #942 of 1,454
I've at last found the right large-sized Periodic-compatible eartip for me: the Nuheara Oval XL. It is available in other sizes as well, in case you've been seeking oval eartips in general.

These fit me more deeply, more comfortably, and with better sonics than anything else I've tried. And by "better sonics" I mean not only that I like my Periodics better with these tips than with others I've tried, but also that I think I am at last hearing the Be the way everyone else does: previously I liked my Mg more and found Be too bassy and treble-shy, but now I hear the Be as absolutely excellent in every way, and Mg as a decent but less balanced runner-up.

So if you've had trouble finding your ideal Periodic tips, these may worth a try for you as they very much were for me.

Background, if you care:

I have hard-to-fit ears, and the size of the Periodics prevents me from going for the deep fit that works best for me (e.g. with Etymotics). Over time I've found that only the largest of the large aftermarket tips really gives me a comfortable and sustainable seal at the shallower depths the Periodics can reach.

My previous "they work OK" tips have been the Earphones Plus XL tips (available in both black and clear, so there's another option for telling left and right apart), and Spiral Dot EP-FX9L (no link but you'll find them on numerous shopping sites). I bought Snugs custom tips and they fit and feel great, but I didn't like them sonically: too much treble loss along the rather narrow channel of very soft silicone from the nozzle to the eartip exit). Other tips I've tried include MandarinES, every large size and shape of Comply, SpinFit cp230 and cp240, the supplied tips of course, and various nameless tips hoarded from earphones past. Apparently I'm really hard to fit, because most of these just didn't seal on me at all. (The cp230s did, a little, but would work themselves back out pretty quickly.)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #943 of 1,454
My review on Peridoic Audio Be and Ti is live now!

All in all, I think those are great buys for their value, and if you like a thicc sound, you should find a lot of happiness with them! :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/10/periodic-audio-titanium-and-beryllium.html

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/periodic-audio-titanium-ti.22419/reviews#review-21094

Periodic-Audio-Titanium-PE-TI-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-01.jpg

Periodic-Audio-Titanium-PE-TI-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-21.jpg

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #944 of 1,454
Thank you George for the honest review - that's all we ask, we just want honest feedback on what we've done.

For all: we're partnering with Lendi to make our products available for passing around/demoing all our products. They'll have stock on our IEMs in about 1 week!

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #945 of 1,454
Thank you George for the honest review - that's all we ask, we just want honest feedback on what we've done.

For all: we're partnering with Lendi to make our products available for passing around/demoing all our products. They'll have stock on our IEMs in about 1 week!

Thank you for your kind words :)

I tried my best to let people know how those feel in practice and why they'd love a pair if it would fit with their musical tastes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back