Perfect Sound Dido D901 Mini-Tour | reviews, discussion, impressions, musings, etc.
Jun 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #226 of 244

Didn't like them much, did he.......................

Heh, I didn't...

LOL! :)

I don't particularly find them uncomfortable at all actually and have never experience the problem of yanking the cable out but that's because I use ALL of my headphones while sitting down in either my work office or at home...

"It was actually pretty hard to listen to anything other than electronic and hip hop with these."

I think that's actually what they wanted to focus on though (which is why the driver is tuned to be as bassy as it is...)
Although, I still listen to most of what I have in my DAP with no problems. :)

Thanks for the review!
Updating initial post index.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #227 of 244
Thanks for the opportunity! (And thanks to Perfect Sound, though I'm not sure if they'll accept that thanks...haha)

I definitely understand the driver being tuned to be used for those genres, but if I--I'm pretty tolerant of "meh" sound too, since I just use whatever's closest to me most of the time, which is more often than not my sister's Earpods--I can't even listen to a song other than that without wincing, I can't really recommend it. I don't know why, but they just sounded very off to me. I might just be hypersensitive to its faults, like I was with the W1000X which a metric ton of people seem to love.

Yeah, the cable was fine when I was stationary, but I noticed that if there was any sort of tug force, like the cable plugged into the DAP causing friction in my pocket, the plug inside of the headphone just yanked out, which was pretty annoying because it usually happened when I was crossing a street.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #228 of 244
Just wanted to give a heads up that my address has changed since I originally gave it to gelocks, so whoever will be mailing the headphones to me, please PM me before you do so. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #229 of 244
Thanks!
I believe Triggerfish comes next and then you. Already PM'd PXSS so that he confirms the next address :wink:

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #230 of 244
Received these in the mail and have some initial impressions.

Whoa, that is a lot of bass.  I'm running an ipod classic through my Leckerton and even on a flat eq, that is just so much bass.  They easily outdo my Denon D600s, and make my Shure 1540s sound bass light.  I ran through some of my favorite test tracks on bass just to get an idea of how they sound, and I'll get around to testing a lot of other music over the weekend with them.  As someone said before the Puscifer - Indigo Children (JLE Dub) is an amazing experience on these.  Bassnectar's MOTW sounded really good also.  The bass overwhelmed some of the others though.  Celldweller's Unshakeable  sounded off because of that emphasis, as did Muffler's Move.  As I was listening to these the bass was kind of fatiguing.  It was just too much and too constant overwhelming everything else.

Comfort is OK.  They are on the heavy side, but the headband spread it around well.  The earpads seemed a little less comfortable though.  Compared to the heavenly pads on the 1540s or the pads on the D600, they just weren't that comfortable.

I did notice the creaking.  It wasn't major, but it was there.

And I have to admit, they do look really good.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #231 of 244
Checking in to report that I received these bad boys today. 

Here are some quick initial impressions from plugging them into my laptop. I'll post a more detailed review with my Project Ember and Concero setup next week. 

Yep, that's a lot of bass. I'm not sure if it sounds bloated or not. Will have to do a side by side with my HE-400 to say for sure, though. My initial impression is that extension is not as low as the HE-400. Bass texture and crunch on synths are less resolved than with the HE-400 for sure. 

Imaging, separation, and detail retrieval are good, though the bass is so big that it becomes disembodied. It's like there are two soundstages--one for the bass and another for everything else. 

The bass definitely becomes fatiguing after a while. 

In hi-fi terms, there is no way these are worth $780. The build and finish are very nice though. 

Comfort is ok, but the earcups are awkwardly between supra and circum-aural for me. 

Also a question--has anyone tried EQing these down to make them sound neutral, just for the heck of it? Anybody who's heard them have input on where the bass peak is and how much? I'm guessing it's around 80--100 Hz and maybe ~16 db. That's just my ears speculating though. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #232 of 244
  Received these in the mail and have some initial impressions.

Whoa, that is a lot of bass.  I'm running an ipod classic through my Leckerton and even on a flat eq, that is just so much bass.  They easily outdo my Denon D600s, and make my Shure 1540s sound bass light.  I ran through some of my favorite test tracks on bass just to get an idea of how they sound, and I'll get around to testing a lot of other music over the weekend with them.  As someone said before the Puscifer - Indigo Children (JLE Dub) is an amazing experience on these.  Bassnectar's MOTW sounded really good also.  The bass overwhelmed some of the others though.  Celldweller's Unshakeable  sounded off because of that emphasis, as did Muffler's Move.  As I was listening to these the bass was kind of fatiguing.  It was just too much and too constant overwhelming everything else.

Comfort is OK.  They are on the heavy side, but the headband spread it around well.  The earpads seemed a little less comfortable though.  Compared to the heavenly pads on the 1540s or the pads on the D600, they just weren't that comfortable.

I did notice the creaking.  It wasn't major, but it was there.

And I have to admit, they do look really good.

So, did you get to test more with different genres and settings? Bass is INDEED overwhelming. They were definitely tuned (pre-tuned) to be basshead cans first and the rest second and third and fourth... :p And frankly, we cannot compare SRH1540 pads to anything really, they were so good!!! I actually bought the new HFM "hybrid" earpads just because they look as comfy as the 1540 ones! LOL (will probably buy a set of 1540 pads as well... their sizes just fit a bunch of headphones in the market...)

Checking in to report that I received these bad boys today. 

Here are some quick initial impressions from plugging them into my laptop. I'll post a more detailed review with my Project Ember and Concero setup next week. 

Yep, that's a lot of bass. I'm not sure if it sounds bloated or not. Will have to do a side by side with my HE-400 to say for sure, though. My initial impression is that extension is not as low as the HE-400. Bass texture and crunch on synths are less resolved than with the HE-400 for sure. 

Imaging, separation, and detail retrieval are good, though the bass is so big that it becomes disembodied. It's like there are two soundstages--one for the bass and another for everything else. 

The bass definitely becomes fatiguing after a while. 

In hi-fi terms, there is no way these are worth $780. The build and finish are very nice though. 

Comfort is ok, but the earcups are awkwardly between supra and circum-aural for me. 

Also a question--has anyone tried EQing these down to make them sound neutral, just for the heck of it? Anybody who's heard them have input on where the bass peak is and how much? I'm guessing it's around 80--100 Hz and maybe ~16 db. That's just my ears speculating though. 

Yeah, as I mentioned in my review last year:

The other usual question would be: "So should I pay $800 for basshead headphones?" And I would say... if you can get the Ultrasone Signature DJs for similar price, well... go for those! :p

But in reality the law of diminishing returns is VERY real and you might find similar enjoyment from the V-moda M100s or even the Monster N-Pulse headphones (which I do liked QUITE A LOT and got them cheap!), it's up to each individual to choose whether they like the design, whether they can actually hear the differences and then decide if the difference in price is worth it or not.

And at this point in time, even more headphones have come out (whether they are basshead or not), so $800 might be a bit high even for the excellent Ultrasone Signature DJs! Maybe Perfect Sound will take all this input from every one and come up with an even better product (here's to hoping!)

Also, you know what, I never really EQ much so I haven't tried it, but bass is so huge that I think you'd probably have to "tame" from 60Hz to 250Hz at different dBs!!!

Thanks for your impressions guys! :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #233 of 244
I tried eqing the bass down, as a result the cans had lost the one part of them that makes them worth the money. That bass!

Eqed down it was easy to tell that they have slightly mediocre resolution and clarity for the price. The bass is the one wow factor for these cans. A slight eq doesnt hurt but it doesnt bring much to the rest of the spectrum.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #236 of 244
Alright guys, I promised a more in-depth review so here it is. These are my comments after listening to the Didos for a while on my laptop, using my Sansa Clip, and my Concero + Ember setup, with some comparisons to my HE-400. 

Bass quality: I was a bit harsh in my initial impressions. Now that I've grown used to these headphones, I don't think the bass is bloated at all (relative to the fact that it's boosted, if that makes sense). There is no distortion to my ears. However, I do still stand by my assertion that the Didos render bass textures less viscerally than the HE-400s. This is something I love about the HE-400s--crunchy textures just rip and grate against your ears. The Didos can't do this with the same granular sort of tactile speed, precision, and snap. Also, I'm pretty sure the HE-400s have deeper extension, though that may just be the tighter bass presentation fooling me--in any case, the Didos have more boost in the midbass than the subbass. The one thing that the Didos do that the HE-400s don't is create a massive wall of bass pressure. I don't know if any of you like Wumpscut, but these headphones really give it the meaty, pounding aggression it deserves (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfB5Mv4IQ4&feature=kp)

Treble: Very smooth with no traces of sibilance. The bass overshadows the treble once it kicks in, but songs with little bass content have a nice treble on the Didos. It's hard to compare with the HE-400s. I'm listening to the Didos with no EQ and I have to EQ the HE-400 treble down by 12 db or so in order to enjoy it. However, I will say that the Didos have a very decent audiophile-grade treble. Not for the price, however--my EQ'd HE-400s beat them in delicacy and resolution for about half the price. Minus signature differences, I'd put the Didos in the general ballpark of the DT-990 in terms of treble resolution, detail, and refinement (only if the song doesn't have a lot of bass--if it does, the bass kills much of the low-level detail). 

Soundstage and Imaging: The nicest closed, full-size headphones I've owned are the Sony MDR-V6 and the Sennheiser HD-280 so it's hard to make a fair comparison. I was pleasantly surprised at the Didos soundstage and imaging. The soundstage is smaller than what you would get with popular open headphones for a quarter of the price (such as the DT-990), but it doesn't seem closed in to me. Just intimate. Imaging is fairly precise, though the bass tends to dominate the sonic picture. 

Value: Whether or not these are worth the money is obviously a personal decision. They are very much basshead headphones. Maybe this is just pride of ownership talking, but I think the HE-400 objectively beats them in every single arena for less than half the price. The HE-400 doesn't have the same bass emphasis, but all it takes is a major EQ bump in the bass and then the HE-400 does everything the Didos can do with bass, and maybe a little more, while also beating them in resolution, refinement, detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, speed, everything really. Of course, the HE-400 is neither closed nor portable in the sense that only closed headphones can be. The Didos also have the clear upper hand in terms of materials quality and overall luxury. 

Amping: The Didos are extremely sensitive. My preferred volume is around 30% on my laptop and 50% on my Sansa Clip+. The Project Ember isn't really a suitable amp, as it's way too powerful. I started with the low impedance setting because it's the only one that will give me an appropriate damping factor. Unfortunately, that is also the Ember's highest power setting. There is significant hiss with no music playing, and I have to set Foobar at around -30 db digital volume just to get the volume knob to 9 o'clock. On the Ember's mid impedance setting, I hear a tiny bit of hiss but not enough to bother me. However, the signature becomes a bit warmer due to the damping factor. Low impedance gives me the cleanest signature, but it's close to unusable due to the volume considerations and hiss. I didn't try the high impedance setting. 

As far as SQ differences between sources, the Didos were resolving enough to show that my Sansa Clip is better than my laptop (I can't really tell with the HE-400 because the Clip doesn't really drive it to satisfactory volume levels). The Concero + Ember cleaned up the soundstage and tightened the bass a bit, but it was not a massive difference. The Didos bass overshadows fine details enough that the increased resolution was hard to notice. 

Also, it looks like I may be the last person on the tour. The only person after me, according to Gelocks, is Mad Lust Envy. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #237 of 244
Well, I think we can finally deem this tour as being "over"!! :)

I want to thank each and every one of you for taking part of it and supplying impressions and/or reviews!
Hopefully Perfect Sound will listen to the good and bad points each of us were vocal about and take it to heart when creating their next iteration.

I want to thank Warren and Patty from Perfect Sound for for the tips, headphone and letting me organize this thing as I do like the headphones and wanted more people to try it before potentially buying it (or not :)).

Thanks again!

P.S. We might organize another round later on!! I'll keep you posted! I will update the first posts with more links to your personal impressions.

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #239 of 244
I'm surprised these haven't made more noise amongst the bassheads on here. Granted the price can certainly be a turn off. I've been recently considering these, they can be had for around €300 new nowadays which is certainly a more realistic price point. Just wondering if these can be the unicorn when it comes to bass cans.
I've recently gotten my XB1000's out again, and while they are definitely fun for a little while, they very quickly get fatiguing to listen to... a lot of sibilance which can't be toned down all too much despite some EQ'ing.

Would these be worth a shot at the current price point (€300) ? Is there any sort of sibilance in the highs and consequently are they fatiguing to listen to even at moderate volumes?

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #240 of 244
I'm surprised these haven't made more noise amongst the bassheads on here. Granted the price can certainly be a turn off. I've been recently considering these, they can be had for around €300 new nowadays which is certainly a more realistic price point. Just wondering if these can be the unicorn when it comes to bass cans.
I've recently gotten my XB1000's out again, and while they are definitely fun for a little while, they very quickly get fatiguing to listen to... a lot of sibilance which can't be toned down all too much despite some EQ'ing.

Would these be worth a shot at the current price point (€300) ? Is there any sort of sibilance in the highs and consequently are they fatiguing to listen to even at moderate volumes?

Where do you get these for 300€? At that price I might be willing to give these a go. Still looking for a basshead with decent/good quality overall headphone next to the M-Audio Q40 I've kept using way too long for my go to EDM style music can. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back