People, I need your help. Right now. SO BAD. (About K81 DJ)
Mar 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bbqc123

New Head-Fier
Ok, after tons of researching, I concluded that K81 Dj is the best closed heaphone under $100.
However.
What stops me from buying are 2 things.

1. Is it really super uncomfortable?

2. DOes cord drive people crazy??

Well, actually, i don't care about number 2 since I usually use it in my house.

However, number 1 !!.
It...
It.. jsut..makes things so hard!.
Some people say it's almost impossible to wear it more than 1 hour.
I love music.
But, I just can't stand uncomfortable headphone no matter how it sounds.

Please, please answer my question.

How uncomfortable the k81Dj is?
And is there any way to make it more comfortable??? ( I heard about soaking the ear pads)

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 13
People just leave them stretched over a stack of books overnight. I don't know how much this works, though.

I can say that, having tried them in a store, I did not find them unconfortable at all, but it seems I have a small head (and small ears). If you have a small head too, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 13
It's not unconfortable right away, but the pressure on your ears gets painful in couple of hours. Mine are like 4.5 years old, so it's as stretched as it could be (isolation gets worse with it too, but it still should be above average) but it still hurts my ears if I wear them for like 2 hours. I'm quite biased about their sound. It was the only headphone I used for 4 years. :p But I heard better sound even under $50. On the other hand people bash these too much imho. They are way more balanced without the thick foams than people tend to describe them.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Small head here, but I still had to stretch the headphones. After a few hours of listening, I could really feel the clamping on my outer ears. So, I rotated the cups and put the headphones around a Costco-sized vitamin bottle sitting lengthwise. The bottle length is close to the width of my head.

I've not heard about soaking the ear pads (only heard of doing this with Grado bowl pads). I don't have problems with the stock ear pads. You could buy Sennheiser velour pads, but it does take away from the bass. I removed my velour pads and went back to stock.

Yes, I find the cord to be too long, but I like how the K81 sounds and its portability so I'm willing to deal with cord length. I've been using mine ever since they were released.

I alternate my K81 with my Eggos and use them for hours at a time while studying. But, like with all my headphones, after a few hours, I have to take them off and give my head and ears a break.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 13
People get the Sennheiser HD 25 Velour pads. Here it is on the website:

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=069417

You can just recable if you don't like the cord. One of the easiest phones to recable.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 13
On the second thought, i decided to buy SJ5 from ATH on the Ebay (Cannot find one on the amazon.)
I don't want to do recable thingy and replacing pads since I'm just awkward noob.;;;
And also, I'm wearing glasses.
Unless the headphone is really comfortable, it freakin hurts. Really.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Why not get the K518LE? They're the same headphone but with a 4 ft cable and some color

Are they tight? or comfortable?
I found that orange one costs $58 on AMazon. And that's just how SJ5 costs.
So, if it's comfortable I would buy one

+ Oh, never mind. Turns out that it's not for big head people. Sad..... (my head is like jimmy newtron.)

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 13
AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!
I hate this.

NOW I SEE SOMEONE SAYING TIGHTNESS OF K81DJ IS EXAGGERATED!
HE SAID IT CAN BE FIXED EASILY BY BENDING IT.
BUT IN THE SAME TIME I ALSO SEE SOMEONE SAYING BENDING DOES NOTHING.

OMG.
JUST WHAT SHOULD I BELEIEVE?
I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR 10 HOURS AND STILL CAN'T DECIDE!

SJ5? OR K81DJ?
MY GOSH.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 13
To be honest, it sounds like the K81 (or K518) is probably not the right headphone for you. I think that the people who claim that the K81 are tight will outnumber those who say the opposite. I've got a small head and I cannot wear my K81 as long as I can circumaural headphones. I bought the Sennheiser pads and it did improve the comfort for extended listening ( > 2 hours), but it also changed the K81's sound for me so I went back to stock.

There are quite a few other closed portable headphones that have a vice-like grip for big heads so the tightness is nothing special with the K81. It's just that when the K81 were released, it was Head-Fi's FOTM, so you had a lot of people commenting on the fit.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Since you have a big head, I suggest the Creative Aurvana Live!. They are suppose to be VERY comfortable and a pair of great headphones. They are often compared to the ATH-M50 in terms of sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IS9WFVYZ1E7Z7&colid=2H54Y44IZXMCF

It's only a little more expensive than the SJ5/K81DJ and you would probably be a lot happier with the sound too.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 13
i got the K518LE based on a very respected forum member's suggestion and since i'd had great previous experiences based on his suggestion, i got them without my usual extensive research. turns out that i realized how big my head is when i got these 
tongue.gif
. they very barely covered my ears and i started getting really bad earaches cause of the insanely evil clamp. however, the SQ is so much what i'm after (basshead), that i tried the stretching over bookstacks, game/dvd cases, etc etc.- didnt change anything :frowning2:. so i just kinda straightened the top part of the headband (its made of metal and is very easy to bend), however the earcups dont cover my ears properly cause the band is too short and i have to wear them in a very weird position to get a good seal. if its a very warm and bassy sound sig ur after, i would recommend the sony XB500 as you can get those for ~$45 - $60 online and they are quite comfortable, though you'd need to EQ them to get the best sound :). the Creative Aurvana Live! are pretty good too soundwise and for the price ~$70. 

ATB and let us knw what u get and ur impressions :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I have a relatively small head I suppose, After a few hours my ears start to get a little sore, but recently I have noticed that I am getting used to the tight clamp(which is great for the isolation these give). I've found that wearing them so much has gotten me used to their fit and it doesn't bother me anymore. I did stretch them on a tissue box for a few nights and I noticed the clamp did lessen a bit, but ultimately these do clamp more than most other headphones I have tried.

As far as the cable goes, I hated the stock cable. I just recabled mine last week(check my avatar) and I am liking it waaaaay better. The shorter cord is more convenient and, not starting a cable war, but, I feel they do sound a bit better than stock. Highs and mids are a little less reccessed, and I feel the sound stage opened up a bit more. YMMV. Doing the recable was very simple, the signal lead is marked with a dot in each cup, I built the rest of the cable, tested it, then connected it to the drivers. Done. Took a couple hours or so.

I do think these phones are good for the price, but if you really feel the tightness of the clamp will be an issue, due to a larger head size or whatever, I suggest the AT M50. Its comfy, has nice bass, looks like it would fit larger head sizes as well as my small head size. The only down side, to me, was that they are a bit bigger than the K81s. This was a turn off to me, but it may not be to you. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back