People here really don't like science hey??
Apr 16, 2002 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Why is it that every time I start a thread that is technically oriented and related to improving audio quality I am called delusional and basically told to ****??

You think science really has nothing to do with the way your audio setup sounds? Fine, go buy the next snake-oil product--arrange topaz around your CDP in a pentagram or something! It'll work *better* than all those silly power tweaks and cable upgrades because it doesn't rely on science!

Oh, and yeah, remember to put sandboxes under your power supplies:

Quote:

The next thing to do is put the sandboxes under the two power supplies back there," he says earnestly. "I've been told by people who've done it that it's really quite a nice improvement

People say that it's a nice improvement, so it must really be a nice improvement!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 94
Also I'm really starting to agree with violeta about the elitism here. When you ask how to improve the sound of your rig most people just go like 'spend more money'. Now that's not surprising. But ask *why* it is that the more expensive components are better and some people here would say, 'what, you think you can get something out of nothing, you dumbass?'

That's not the *point*--the point is that it's not all that unreasonable to ask where all that extra money you spend *go* in the equipment--in what way is it improved?

I've inherited a skeptical streak from my father--if I don't understand why something is so, I tend not even to believe that it really *is* so. So don't go like 'it's more expensive, of course it's better'. I'll take none of that ********
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
the point is that it's not all that unreasonable to ask where all that extra money you spend *go* in the equipment--in what way is it improved?

I've inherited a skeptical streak from my father--if I don't understand why something is so, I tend not even to believe that it really *is* so. So don't go like 'it's more expensive, of course it's better'. I'll take none of that ********
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I agree with you 100%. There are people here that would believe anything they are told, like a $100,000 interconnect blows away the $50,000 one just because it has to, it's more expensive, even though a couple of RCA plugs and some magnet wire for $6 will blow away both. What does science have to do with audio? If you could prove or scientifically convince audiofools that there is no improvement or actual difference in these things, you'd kill everyones fun, like telling a kid there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 94
I definitely do beleive that more expensive is "not" always "better. But, it does go both ways, depending on your perception. Sometimes more expensive is better and sometimes it's not. With the headphone hobby, I think it comes down to what your perception of better is and also what you can actually afford according to your budget.

It's been proven on these boards that people can enjoy this hobby very much without spending tons of money. If you actually do have a lot of money and want to buy a $4000 amp, that's fine, as long as you are happy and don't feel you were ripped off.

Then of course there is always going to be the business end of selling consumer electronics. Every company and manufacturer want you to beleive that their product is the best or better, or has something to offer that others do not.

And that's not to say that anyone's product is good or bad, or better or worse than any other's.

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 94
Hey Joe, you have my sympathies man. I was reading your thread on impedance matching and ratios. I was very much looking forward to a scientific answer from someone myself.
I was thinking about asking headroom how the gain switch works on their amplifiers and maybe how it relates to this. Maybe they have some insight.

Edwin

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 94
Originally posted by Beagle
I agree with you 100%. There are people here that would believe anything they are told, like a $100,000 interconnect blows away the $50,000 one just because it has to, it's more expensive, even though a couple of RCA plugs and some magnet wire for $6 will blow away both.

Maget wire? I'll have to try that. Do you mean the magnet wire they sell at Radio Shack?

Apr 16, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 94
Joe

It is like alot of things, if you don't understand something ridicule it. I am an engineer and rather enjoy the math behind the function. Interconnects, power supplies, opamp, etc. designs are based on definable physical properties. Modeling them with mathamatical equasions is a discipline that is critical in the design world. Where this collides with personal preferences and perceptions is what makes these discussions even more interesting.

I think part of the problem is that a number of people cannot relate to the math where they can relate to the sound. Perhaps I should start a thread on Decibels and how logarithms work.

John B

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 94
I think Joe... its because there appears to be little need to know about dampening factors...

Don't get me wrong, they probably are important... but, when you're buying headphones (or... and amp for that matter) you go for certain amounts of matching...

You see: Impedance, Sensitivity, Frequency Response, and Power Rating... You don't see 'Damping Factor' - Its an unknown variable that for the most part we have no control over...

Please don't feel that this post here, or my posts in your other thread were negative... but, at the end of the day (for example), do you understand HOW this screen is coming up on your monitor (whether LCD or CRT) - Yes, there are inert gases within the tube... and plenty of circuits - but what makes one monitor better than another? - Primarily manufacturer... something that we can't influence apart from with our eyes
smily_headphones1.gif

(I hope that made sense, but have a feeling that it didn't...)

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 94
I think the science should always come first. Electricity is science in the first place and without it, we wouldn't have much of a hi-fi experience. It's because of the engineers that have the knowledge of the art of science that make us be able to enjoy all of this.

But is placebo really a bad thing in audio? Tricking someone into thinking my homemade $5 cable is really worth $75,000 is bad and greedy business, but if it was worth it to that *one* person, is it totally wrong?

I guess education is really the only way into audio nirvana. And I do agree that technical, tweaks, and placebo discussions should not be mixed for the most part

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 94
Joe;

I think it's different approach to the hobby. Some people look for a magic bullet that will solve all and they can care less about how it works. Some are more analytical and want to figure out how things work. Sort of left brain vs right brain.

I remember 20 years ago (before CD), I have different cartridge, gauge, antistatic gun, osciloscpe, microscope. All these just to play music. After CD, all these are gone.

Now I am experimenting on noise shaping, equalizing (yes Joe, equalizing) and I enjoy it. It's a hobby.

Do what you like, Joe. Stop worrying about what other people think.

Apr 16, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 94
Joe,
There are a number of people here like myself who would like to see more discussion of the scientific principles behind, and measurements to substantiate, what we hear. There are many who don't. I would simply suggest that you start clearly labeled threads regarding any given subject you desire. By labeled clearly, I suggest you might append "(technical)" or something of that nature to the thread label.

If there are those who post non sequitur posts within that thread, we'll just put up with them since this is a community after all and it takes all kinds to make a community.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
Joe,
There are a number of people here like myself who would like to see more discussion of the scientific principles behind, and measurements to substantiate, what we hear. There are many who don't. I would simply suggest that you start clearly labeled threads regarding any given subject you desire. By labeled clearly, I suggest you might append "(technical)" or something of that nature to the thread label.

If there are those who post non sequitur posts within that thread, we'll just put up with them since this is a community after all and it takes all kinds to make a community.

Cheers!

YesYes
biggrin.gif

BTW very cute child in the avatar
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back