People Don't Understand the Sheer Beauty of Audiophilia....
Sep 29, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #46 of 133

Quote:
Sheer beauty?
Well, it's something of a carnival, medieval bazaar, freak show, and an old-fashioned snakeoil show.
Sure, there are a lot of bright lights, attractions and shiny objects.
Look a little deeper and you'll find something else entirely. Be careful.

No chance of you naming some of these unscrupulous types behind the counter at the carnival Uncle Erik?
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #47 of 133

Quote:
I'll be honest I STILL don't quite understand audiophilia!

1) 10lb portable audiophile bricks
2) power cables
3) 500 dollar amps that only need to put out 1 watt
4) 10,000 dollar tube amps for headphones
5) Wearing headphones with 6' cables in public
6) If your headphones don't sound good to you, buy a new source/amp (wat)

Oh theres loads more, feel free to add, I couldn't think of anything.

It doesn't make sense to people outside of the hobby but you know we can't live without this ****.

As for the beauty of it, if you keep to yourself like I do after a long day at school, nothing like eating dinner and sipping on a nice beer with your favorite headphones on, listening to an album you've heard 100's of times already.

The first five points illustrate just nicely that we're on a wing and prayer away from the Cuckoo's Nest.
But regarding point #6 Chris - I don't know - I reckon when I went from my Auzentech Bravura/ASUS Essence ST
to a dedicated outboard quality DAC (Arcam rDAC) it smoothed out the 325i's with some recordings that I
reckon could've made it 'make or break' with some sensitive ears out there. Not mine but enough for some
to give it the thumbs up or down.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #48 of 133

2) power cables

It doesn't make sense to people outside of the hobby but you know we can't live without this ****.

As for the beauty of it, if you keep to yourself like I do after a long day at school, nothing like eating dinner and sipping on a nice beer with your favorite headphones on, listening to an album you've heard 100's of times already.

but.....but....that 1w is night and day difference! your just a hater.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #49 of 133

Quote:

LOL i spose that's an option! i'll keep an eye out for one! I'm new at all of this -.- So many people know so much more than me.

Are you sure this isn't just a fling? You said it yourself, you're new to all this but you're already gunning for the high end headphones. It can get pretty pressurising being around people who talk about their thousand dollar rigs all day. You sound like my friend who was into bikes. He was all, "I LOVE BIKES some day i'll gather enough money to buy some high end Trek bikes"... months later he decided bikes wasn't his thing and moved on to photography.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #50 of 133

Quote:
Yeh I admit that we 'cheated' somewhat in terms of what constitutes a 'local-meet' 
smile.gif
 - the event was held and a lot of hardware was provided by Addicted to Audio
here in Melbourne. Still I was blown away by some the gear that some people brought along. The Xana Deux alone must weigh 15+ kilos.

Well I mean, it was still worth it...and if you didn't 'cheat' it wouldn't have been quite so spectacular!

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #51 of 133

Quote:

2) power cables

Butbutbut....Art is meant to be shared!?

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #52 of 133

Quote:
Is it always in Denver and is it usually in October?

I dunno D: but the chances of it coming to my little slice of nowhere are slim to none.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #53 of 133

Quote:
Sheer beauty?
Well, it's something of a carnival, medieval bazaar, freak show, and an old-fashioned snakeoil show.
Sure, there are a lot of bright lights, attractions and shiny objects.
Look a little deeper and you'll find something else entirely. Be careful.

Yeah i suppose, but as a whole i was talking more how the music sounds with a good setup as opposed to the shiny objects that play them ;D

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #54 of 133

Are you sure this isn't just a fling? You said it yourself, you're new to all this but you're already gunning for the high end headphones. It can get pretty pressurising being around people who talk about their thousand dollar rigs all day. You sound like my friend who was into bikes. He was all, "I LOVE BIKES some day i'll gather enough money to buy some high end Trek bikes"... months later he decided bikes wasn't his thing and moved on to photography.

Well I mean...I dunno every time i try a new pair of cans it's like Christmas morning, When i ordered my 535s i was SO excited....called the music store daily to see if they had come in, i'd like to think i'm in it for the long haul, and my love started to grow with my SRH440s almost two years ago....and it's been going strong since! :D I've never been much for bikes, photography, or videogames! So what's left? really?

Also the way i look at it, its always justifiable,because i will always love music.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #56 of 133

Quote:
this hobby make an innocent high school student spent $800 on his gear with his OWN money lol

Exactly....it's like being a car enthusiast with a 50000 dollar salary, Seems like a decent chunk of change! But the enthusiast collects vintage cars and such! 

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #57 of 133
Yeah, I agree most people don't seem to appreciate good well balanced sound and good tone with clarity. I think one possible reason is that it can be confusing because we are dealing with rigs here.

In an ideal world, you want something that is simple (at least for most people). I think this is why simple boom box shelf systems and iPods are more popular than rig systems. Rig systems involve piecing together with wires or cables. 

Simple lower fi set ups are much easier for the average person and they actually sound pretty decent. In addition, it's much more affordable than that heavy 40 pound tube amp. Also, most people are not gear oriented so that can make a difference too. 

For most people, a good song is more pleasing than a good sound. Let me give an example:

I once let this lady hear my full size headphone that was connected to a good desk top amp. It was a good set up that was much better than your iBud into iPod typical fashion. She was very impressed with the song I was playing and had no comment on the gear or sound. She was gushing over how the singer sang so beautifully. 

Yes, in many ways, she is sane. The music should be the focus and most people listen to the music first and the gear is invisible. She was right. Music is more important.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #58 of 133
my parents, especially mom will yell continuously and keep yelling even after a week if spend $80 on this hobby. i can't imagine what will happen to me if she found out that i've spent almost $800 :
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #59 of 133
I will comment that if you hang out with rich people or affluent people, many of them will not blink an eye on what you spend. I think many will appreciate it actually. Look at their hobbies and see how much they spend. It's probably shocking.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #60 of 133
my parents, especially mom will yell continuously and keep yelling even after a week if spend $80 on this hobby. i can't imagine what will happen to me if she found out that i've spent almost $800 :
tongue.gif

She just doesn't get it man, my parents are the same, they just can't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back