People Don't Understand the Sheer Beauty of Audiophilia....
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

Baiton

100+ Head-Fier
Today like 4 people gave me a hard time about the money I spend on the hobby, it doesn't bother me as much as piss me off. -.-

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 133
well, it's not really much of a mainstream hobby, so you kinda have to come to expect it.

I suppose, just bugged more today for some reason, but eh i guess theres nothing you can do, it's not "cool" unless it's main stream.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 133
it wasn't even 'cool' to wear full size headphones out in public until the beats came along. I think that has been a good thing though, i've noticed my local bestbuy begin to start stocking decent cans, as apposed to just the beats.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 133

Quote:
it wasn't even 'cool' to wear full size headphones out in public until the beats came along. I think that has been a good thing though, i've noticed my local bestbuy begin to start stocking decent cans, as apposed to just the beats.

+1

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 133

Yeah i'm a Futureshop employee, and the amount of solid cans we received in the past few months alone surprised me, most notably some tdk, bowers and wilkins, and some akg stuff, Beats have actually helped make us more mainstream for lack of a better word, the best part of it all? HEFTY discounts! :D

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 133

Quote:
Today like 4 people gave me a hard time about the money I spend on the hobby, it doesn't bother me as much as piss me off. -.-

Dont pay attention to them...just keep going, buy...sell, upgrade. 
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 133
Dont pay attention to them...just keep going, buy...sell, upgrade. 
wink.gif

I plan to do a buttload of that before i become a poor college kid ;D. And normally i don't give it a second thought...just bugged me today for some reason.

Also my apologies, friggin lack of a rich text editor on an iPhone. -.-

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 133
Throughout my childhood and up into medical school, I got lots of criticism for my obsession with music and related gear.

Yeah bro, I feel yah! But you kept on trucking! Why can't we?

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 133
Some people already think I overdid it by spending $250 on my vintage Stax Lambda setup, which is a pittance by high-end audiophile standards.

While I don't see myself spending thousands on audio gear any time soon, I now have an idea of why some people pay up for their audio gear; it makes them want to listen to music because of some qualities lesser gear cannot deliver. What those qualities are boil down to personal preference. (In my case, I've suddenly developed a preference for the electrostatic sound.)

I still don't call myself an audiophile, though. Just a person who wants to learn what better sound is like, and if it can be had without breaking the bank.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 133
The way I look at it is this, if your enjoying it then don't listen to what others say. The only thing that is important for your hobby is for you to be happy. If your happy with your purchases and you feel its worth it then just disregard what others think.

I know that my family hates it when I spend money on audio gear, to them its just music, something they do in the background. Of course for me and many other audiophiles music is much more then that. Music is what helps us get through the day, what we live to enjoy etc. So for us it is definitely worth investing in. I do wish others could see the art in it but to each their own. That's why their are so many different hobbies!

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 133
Interesting that this issue is being raised in a few threads ~ take a look at the 2 x recent
threads on 'Confessions of a Failing Audiophile' & 'Why is the LCD-2 so loved?'

There you will find a lot of disillusioned opinions on mid-fi versus higher tier gear,
many arguing that the law of diminishing returns hits hard once you soar above
$500USD or so.

Its all subjective at the end of the day. The only time that criticism is perhaps
warranted by family and friends of an 'audiophile' is when they spend themselves
into debt and woe for the sake of their beloved gear, not only that but by that
stage they are usually more enamored by the gear itself than the music.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 133
Some people already think I overdid it by spending $250 on my vintage Stax Lambda setup, which is a pittance by high-end audiophile standards.

While I don't see myself spending thousands on audio gear any time soon, I now have an idea of why some people pay up for their audio gear; it makes them want to listen to music because of some qualities lesser gear cannot deliver. What those qualities are boil down to personal preference. (In my case, I've suddenly developed a preference for the electrostatic sound.)

I still don't call myself an audiophile, though. Just a person who wants to learn what better sound is like, and if it can be had without breaking the bank.

See I'm only a budding audiophile at most, i want to have some top of the line stuff beforei have to pay bills though, that's the big thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back