The PENON official thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #2,401 of 13,727
Up next
With full orchestra accompaniment...
1617223148478.png

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,402 of 13,727
Do any other Volt owners apply EQ at times? I like the stock tuning with a lot of vocals, but for much of my music, I tone down the mid bass some. I also like boosting the sub bass a little. I discovered that the bass is fast and percussive, but it doesn’t have a lot of rumble and decay. With the mid bass toned down a little, I think it performs really well with metal.

Also, if one wants a more treble, it responds really well to EQ.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #2,403 of 13,727
Do any other Volt owners apply EQ at times? I like the stock tuning with a lot of vocals, but for much of my music, I tone down the mid bass some. I also like boosting the sub bass a little. I discovered that the bass is fast and percussive, but it doesn’t have a lot of rumble and decay. With the mid bass toned down a little, I think it performs really well with metal.

Also, if one wants a more treble, it responds really well to EQ.
I apply EQ time to time with a good result. I mostly tone down the midbass warmth and slightly increase upper mids and mid-treble areas.

9E0A4F94-47B7-42F1-B866-A013776AECF2.jpeg
D1B7A31D-CC8F-486E-AFA4-3DC3F09B873F.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #2,405 of 13,727
@tgx78 Could you do FR graph for penon globe IEM? You uploaded some graphs for great sets like BElive, 3DT etc so it would be nice to compare them from the same measuring setup
C1435A31-2F8B-4520-B9E6-62D693B32BC3.jpeg

Globe & Volt

35955CAA-9F70-4BF5-934F-79E489DD811F.jpeg

Globe & IER-Z1R

don’t have the 3DT + Believe at home today

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,407 of 13,727
IMG_20210401_205901.jpg

A picture Tells a Thousand Words, so they say...

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,409 of 13,727
The Globe has me rethinking most of my IEM collection. I may sell some other units that the Globe has sonically replaced.
Unfortunately mashing the refresh key on the tracking page for days doesn’t appear to be causing my copy to be departing from DHL’s Hong Kong hub any faster...

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #2,410 of 13,727
Had the same problem. Took six days to depart Hong Kong DHL Depot....

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,411 of 13,727
So the Globe is in the house and I was very excited as the Orb is in my shortlist of IEMs in its price range for those who have read my review you know I love it.

IMG_3200.jpg

I miss the transparent design of the Orb a bit which made it possible to admire the internal craftsmanship, the Globe has nice shells with a very nice colorful glitter (I'll take better pictures when I have time to set up the mini studio, this needs proper lighting)

Anyway, first impressions out of Hiby R6 2020 after two days of continuous burn in : another very coherent and mature tuning from Penon but it has become an habit now, they're up there with the best in the game no doubt. I need to do some A/B with the Orb but right away it's clear they're members of the same family with their powerful bass and rather fun an energetic tuning. The Globe brings some extra clarity in the midrange with better separation and a leaner lower mids with overall a more balanced midrange. It's significantly more open sounding and less liquid than the Orb with makes the Globe a more technical IEM with a very natural sound. But the main difference the upper treble where the Globe is yet more extended with more air which makes it more resolving and open sounding as well as more transparent. The stage is nothing short of impressive at this price point and technicalities are quite impressive.

More importantly like the Orb it's quite a fun and addictive listen, it's going to be such a fun review :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,412 of 13,727
So the Globe is in the house and I was very excited as the Orb is in my shortlist of IEMs in its price range for those who have read my review you know I love it.

IMG_3200.jpg

I miss the transparent design of the Orb a bit which made it possible to admire the internal craftsmanship, the Globe has nice shells with a very nice colorful glitter (I'll take better pictures when I have time to set up the mini studio, this needs proper lighting)

Anyway, first impressions out of Hiby R6 2020 after two days of continuous burn in : another very coherent and mature tuning from Penon but it has become an habit now, they're up there with the best in the game no doubt. I need to do some A/B with the Orb but right away it's clear they're members of the same family with their powerful bass and rather fun an energetic tuning. The Globe brings some extra clarity in the midrange with better separation and a leaner lower mids with overall a more balanced midrange. It's significantly more open sounding and less liquid than the Orb with makes the Globe a more technical IEM with a very natural sound. But the main difference the upper treble where the Globe is yet more extended with more air which makes it more resolving and open sounding as well as more transparent. The stage is nothing short of impressive at this price point and technicalities are quite impressive.

More importantly like the Orb it's quite a fun and addictive listen, it's going to be such a fun review :)
Can you do a comparison with Fiio FD5 as well?

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #2,413 of 13,727

I look forward to your thoughts and, hopefully, full review. I am loving my Globe. The Globe and the Yume have become the duo that has me rethinking my entire IEM line up.

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,414 of 13,727
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #2,415 of 13,727
IMG_20210407_084112.jpg

My EDC OTG set...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back