The PENON official thread
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #1,351 of 13,911
It’s not the cable per se—it’s the dongle solution. And, no, I am generally ok with stock cables
I suggest copping some DD hifi adapters, those things are magic. I use mostly 2.5mm terminated cables now and carry DD hifi adapters when I travel since I have a mix of sources with 2.5 and 4.4 outputs.

You could also get Dunu cables with the interchangeable plugs.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,352 of 13,911
I suggest copping some DD hifi adapters, those things are magic. I use mostly 2.5mm terminated cables now and carry DD hifi adapters when I travel since I have a mix of sources with 2.5 and 4.4 outputs.

You could also get Dunu cables with the interchangeable plugs.
I need to buy more DD HiFi adapters. They‘re great!

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,353 of 13,911
I say ‘near-reference’ because there is definitely colouration there with a slightly elevated mid-bass, VERY liquid mids and a somewhat subdued top end. What’s interesting though is that there is no sense of a loss of detail in the top end. Everything is there and clear but it never approaches brittle or harsh. Everything is just right in a way that, frankly, I never knew I wanted.(...) A note about cables: I tried the Volts with several top-end cables but, ultimately, felt it fared best with two of Penon's own creations. With their OSG (a product that I was super curious about, owing to the unusual inclusion of graphene as an element in its construction), the Volt has an even blacker background, eliciting very clear detailing across the entire frequency range. Personally, I think the OSG is the perfect pairing with the Volts. I love, love, love this pairing! Others who crave MORE of everything might want to look at pairing the Volts with Penon's excellent Totem cable, which doesn’t so much colour the frequency range much (it perhaps increases the sub bass a little) but rather elevates the overall clarity, dimensionality and precision of the entire stage a step further.

I agree on a lot of what you wrote there, my review is imminent now and I do go in depth about that colouration and yet the "no loss of detail" part... also agree on the OSG being a great pairing but Totem pairing is so amazing that I actually wrote up a full detailed account on how it improves each part of the range. Basically wrote a second review with Totem as it propels the Volt into incredible heights for the price :)

Bottom line is, the Totem will infuse more punch, better separation, more clarity and transparency as well as more bite to the upper mids along with elevated resolution that brings Volt into elite territory. Totem brings more energy, focus and a sense of realism that is really awe inspiring!

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,354 of 13,911
I agree on a lot of what you wrote there, my review is imminent now and I do go in depth about that colouration and yet the "no loss of detail" part... also agree on the OSG being a great pairing but Totem pairing is so amazing that I actually wrote up a full detailed account on how it improves each part of the range. Basically wrote a second review with Totem as it propels the Volt into incredible heights for the price :)

Bottom line is, the Totem will infuse more punch, better separation, more clarity and transparency as well as more bite to the upper mids along with elevated resolution that brings Volt into elite territory. Totem brings more energy, focus and a sense of realism that is really awe inspiring!
It would be great if someone with the Odin would do a comparison of the Stormbreaker vs the Totem.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,355 of 13,911
And here it is, my review of the Volt is up :
https://iem.reviews/2020/12/16/penon-volt-electric-dreams/

In ear monitor reviews by davidmolliere 2020-12-16 08-27-57.png

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,356 of 13,911
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #1,357 of 13,911
The Volt and Totem are most definitely in my future, as you are the second reviewer I really trust, that has said the combo is legit. Great review man! :thumbsup:

Thanks I hope it lives up to your expectations but has become a favorite of mine !

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,358 of 13,911

The Volt/Totem pairing is absolutely fantastic, agreed. It’s just, for me personally, it brought it closer to the properties that I love in my other top-tier IEM/cable pairings (which says a lot about how awesome this IEM/pairing is) so it wasn’t offering a different sound in the way that the Volt/OSG pairing was. Apologies, I should have put that in context in my impressions. I would concur that if you are looking for the absolute BEST overall pairing with the Volts, then you can’t go wrong with the Totem. I’m constantly amazed by how awesome the Totem is on so many IEMs! Very possibly my favourite and most versatile cable.

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,359 of 13,911
Any news about the Fan yet?

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,360 of 13,911
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,361 of 13,911

I have OSG but i prefer ISN AG8 on Volt because i got better headstage, transparency, dynamic and airy highs, please don't look at me as crazy :D

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,362 of 13,911
Meanwhile let's Chillax on this playlist...

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,363 of 13,911
Tested today with Penon Leo Plus. Astonishing difference! Volt are such an capable IEMs in terms of further upgrade. Bass slams hard, but is much faster, there is a bit less highs (which I regret a bit), but scene, separation between sounds is so much better! I'd love to try OSG and some day Totem just to see what is the final form...

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,364 of 13,911
@Qiuu I’d like to listen Leo+ , but I had almost your same impressions with ISN AG8, but I notice better highs and clarity instead of stock cable.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,365 of 13,911
I have OSG but i prefer ISN AG8 on Volt because i got better headstage, transparency, dynamic and airy highs, please don't look at me as crazy :D

Why would I?

I haven't tried AG8 with Volt yet, but my general experience with AG8 is that it boost lower mids a bit as well as more emphasis on mid bass and it smoothens things. I like AG8 with brighter pairing than Volt but synergy is something strange sometimes so I'll try that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back