Penny for your thoughts? Closed, Full-sized for Acoustic/Instrumental/Classical with ~$300 budget.
Jul 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Be aware that there's a lot of mythology surrounding the need for amplification, and a lot of misunderstandings about what a headphone amplifier actually can and cannot do. The better option is either to put a new soundcard in the computer, or go with a hi-fi component like a receiver.

Got it, I will wait to even consider amping my headphones. Especially since the SRH-940's and K550's don't seem to require it.

Quote:
My 2 cents:

D2000

DT880

Q701

All those don't have good isolation/are open :frowning2:

I'm going to go check out the AKG K550's once more, if I like them I may go with those. The reviews seem good and generally better than the SRH 940's and I hope I can fit them well this time. Also people mentioned the K550 build quality is quite good.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 23
the 940 is good but just be careful about the random plastic headband cracks even if it is well taken properly

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #18 of 23
I tried the K550's again since I had more time and they sounded pretty good. But I am worried about the fit. When I tried them out the cushions didn't seem to grip my head that well, even after adjusting the bands to the lowest position (but I did not BEND the band itself.

the 940 is good but just be careful about the random plastic headband cracks even if it is well taken properly

Got it. Now I'm not sure what decision to make.

K550: +Look/Build, -Fit
SRH940: -Look/Build, +Fit

Any other alternatives with good fitting for a 'normal' sized head with my type of music, and good build quality? This is hard work :p

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #19 of 23
I would consider the AKG 27x series.  Solid isolation, very comfortable, very good sound sig and detail for classical.  Haven't heard the K550, so I can't compare the two.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
I would consider the AKG 27x series.  Solid isolation, very comfortable, very good sound sig and detail for classical.  Haven't heard the K550, so I can't compare the two.

Agreed. Listening to Violin Concerto No 2 (Metamorphosen) by Penderecki and the violin sounds awesome on the K271. I listened to Symphonies No 1 and 4 by Brahms earlier, both sounded fantastic. Listened to classical music a lot this week and enjoyed it on this headphone. The K271 is a pretty good closed headphone for classical.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 23
Thanks SanJoseCanJunkie and staticfi for that option.

I'm looking into the K271 MKII & K272 and so far it seems like a good set from the reviews I've seen.
Build Quality: Only found one person who had a problem.
Comfort: K271 has (p)leather+velour pads/detachable cable, K272 has velour pads/non-detachable cable (not sure which ones I would want)
Sound: Laid-back (yay), good for classical
Appearance: I prefer K272 over K271

I'm assuming these would be good for acoustical music (guitars, ukulele, etc.)?

There is nowhere I can try these out. $200 at head-room for the K272's and they have a good return policy. Or $150 on Amazon for K271 MKII.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 23
You want the MkII - there is no reason to not want a detachable cable, and multiple options for pads, for less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back