pencil fi?
Sep 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 460
I use a Pentel Techniclick G mechanical pencil, it's been in production for almost a decade, but getting harder and harder to find, so I bought 3, which should last me through quite a few exams!

Doing math just ain't the same without my pencil, I know, I should be more flexible
frown.gif

(oh, and I looked up those rotrings, very nice looking, and from a quality company!)

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 460
OK, you guys convinced me take another look at mechanical pencils. I bought a rotring Tikki II (0.7) today and I quite like it, but it's a little too thin for long-duration writing. Anyone tried the Faber-Castell 2011s? Limited choice in Dunedin, NZ...

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 460
Those on montgomery pens are all the new style with the ergonomic grip, there is another, older style which has a knurled grip and just a matte finish (not that too cool lava finish).

I ordered an ebay one from a seller with vast feedback, so hopefully its worth the $25(!)

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 460
Cross has a few styles of 0.5mm for $30, Padrino has some pen/pencil sets with 0.7mm for $40. Look at paradisepen.com and do advanced search for "pencils" under writing instruments.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crudola, you mean these things that cost $129?

Rotring 600 Lava 0.7MM Mechanical Pencil 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil

Nope, that's one of the newer, lamer ones.

What you (and everyone) wants, is one of these:Exclusive Rotring 600 Mechanical Pencil 0.35mm BNIB!! - (eBay.ca item 220273070445 end time 03-Sep-08 19:06:29 EDT)

I've bought from that seller before and everything went smoothly.

Also, the Tikky II that someone mentioned earlier isn't that good. You want to try to find the original Tikky. They screwed up the design when they made the new one. You also don't want a 600 Newton or anything else.

The only pencils I'd ever use other than Rotrings are probably certain Kooh-I-Noor and Ohto models. The Ohto Promate, for example, is a design copy of the original Rotring 600, but made of cheaper materials. The Ohto Promecha and Super Promecha are pretty nifty as well, offering huge amounts of adjustability, but they get unecessary for people who aren't doing serious drafting work.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry everyone. I already purchased it.
tongue.gif

Thanks monolith. I wasn't quite sure with all the choices so this saves me some time.

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone I know does. The thing weighs like three times as much as any other pencil you'll use, but it's perfectly balanced, so it ends up feeling like less work writing with it.

As an added bonus, it's made of solid brass, so you could probably use it as a self defense weapon. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa monolith...what do you do for a living? Head-Fi and Pencil-Fi.

I work in a record store.
tongue.gif

I'm a mathematics and physics student, so I do a great deal of writing and most of it needs to be with pencils.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #30 of 460
Can you even write with 0.35mm leads (the model dvessel bought)? Even at 0.5mm, the only lead that doesn't keep breaking on me is Pentel Ain, and that is impossible to get anywhere around my uni. Do you know monolith?

I bought mine from this seller: Rotring 600 Old Style 0.5mm Pencil Black or Silver New - (eBay.ca item 250290436832 end time 10-Sep-08 10:38:55 EDT)

But shipping is $10, though if you're in the US you might get it quicker. I asked him a question after I bought mine, and he replied in what must have been 2 minutes, so I'm thinking he's a good seller, has plenty of feedback, and a website selling pens and things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back