Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Aug 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,531 of 2,804
wow talk about long lasting. Is ink/nib a big factor at this point? Or should I worry about that later?

You know, I own a few vintage pens and the thing that is the last thing to worry about I find is the nib! I also have a Parker Duofold made in 1928. It has the original nib and the only thing that has been done to it since it was made was a new ink sac replacement! and I write with it every day! in fact, it could be said that the older pens are much better made and more reliable, remember, back then there was no alternative to write with so fountain pens were huge business and it was a very competitive industry so pens had to be hardwearing and reliable for the makers to last.

That did not mean they had to be expensive either, look at Esterbrooks with their interchangeable nibs, not expensive pens and amongst pen collectors today very desirable.

With vintage always check to see if it has been serviced, if so and they usually are, then you will probably be good to go for another twenty/thirty years before an ink sac needs replacing! For the Aerometric 51's, well they are all but bullet proof! I recently got a 51 special from ebay, I won it for $25 as it was being sold as is. Once it arrived I flushed it in warm soapy water till all the old ink was gone, then clean water and then filled it with ink. The pen writes like a dream and that was all that was needed doing, very rare a sac needs replacing on those models and the one I got was made over 55 years ago!

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,532 of 2,804
Quote:
You know, I own a few vintage pens and the thing that is the last thing to worry about I find is the nib! I also have a Parker Duofold made in 1928. It has the original nib and the only thing that has been done to it since it was made was a new ink sac replacement! and I write with it every day! in fact, it could be said that the older pens are much better made and more reliable, remember, back then there was no alternative to write with so fountain pens were huge business and it was a very competitive industry so pens had to be hardwearing and reliable for the makers to last.
That did not mean they had to be expensive either, look at Esterbrooks with their interchangeable nibs, not expensive pens and amongst pen collectors today very desirable.
With vintage always check to see if it has been serviced, if so and they usually are, then you will probably be good to go for another twenty/thirty years before an ink sac needs replacing! For the Aerometric 51's, well they are all but bullet proof! I recently got a 51 special from ebay, I won it for $25 as it was being sold as is. Once it arrived I flushed it in warm soapy water till all the old ink was gone, then clean water and then filled it with ink. The pen writes like a dream and that was all that was needed doing, very rare a sac needs replacing on those models and the one I got was made over 55 years ago!

Wow now I want a vintage pen lol.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,533 of 2,804
wink_face.gif
 Another thing to consider is ink...in quantity. How much will your pen hold, considering you'll be chasing lecture notes and lots of them. I currently use a Lamy Safari for letters, notes, cards and graffiti ( 
rolleyes.gif
 joking about that last one) and the cart runs out rather quickly!

Capacity is one more thing that I find attractive about my soon to purchase Pilot Falcon - larger cart.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,534 of 2,804
:wink_face:  Another thing to consider is ink...in quantity. How much will your pen hold, considering you'll be chasing lecture notes and lots of them. I currently use a Lamy Safari for letters, notes, cards and graffiti ( :rolleyes:  joking about that last one) and the cart runs out rather quickly!

Capacity is one more thing that I find attractive about my soon to purchase Pilot Falcon - larger cart.:wink:

Yeah, that is why I suggested the TWSBI, CC's just don't hold enough ink. I guess the only way to combat that is to use cartridges which are easily replaceable on the fly or carry a bottle of ink around but I would not want to risk that.

Another option is to use an eye dropper pen but that can get messy!

Probably one of the best modern pens for this use has to be the new TWSBI Vac, that holds a ton of ink and has an ink valve which will switch off ink flow when not needed but that one is a $100

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,535 of 2,804
Great! I'll need to look at that, thanks to you. I hope our fellow member has "back up," as taking lecture notes may require speed.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,536 of 2,804
Great! I'll need to look at that, thanks to you. I hope our fellow member has "back up," as taking lecture notes may require speed.

Your welcome, I think a back up is a great idea! So how about this which covers all bases. A TWSBI Vac and a vintage 51 both with fine or medium nibs so that they can write on any type of paper. I reckon probably $150 should get you both, then a nice simple black or blue ink, say waterman or montblanc as they seem to have fewer issues than a lot of other inks and in my experience are slightly drier writing inks and your set to go with two bullet proof pens and ink and not only that but highly enjoyable pens to write with as well!

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,538 of 2,804
Well I went to a stationary/bookstore and found a corner with watermans/parkers/lamys/pelicanos/some other brands and got myself a lamy safari so that I can start practicing my penmanship :p.
All in all, it cost about ~45 dollars for the pen + 2 ink packets (10 ink cartridges). I think I'll upgrade to a TWSBI once I get used to using a fountain pen :D

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,542 of 2,804
I bought the Lamy Charcoal - Fine point. I didn't have the luxury of scribbling in person but did learn that Lamy's Fine is another's Medium. Will likely go finer with the upcoming Pilot Falcon.

On another note - 
tongue_smile.gif
 pun intended - as much as I love my iPhones and have been getting near annual upgrades, they still cannot touch the handwritten note. Sometimes, I'll carry a few notes, different styles in a leather portfolio (10.5x8x2"). Whatever the choices, I always make sure a few stark white envelopes are available. To see ink from a fountain pen scribed onto a stark white crisp linen envelope...wow! In this digital era, this can still take a recipient's breath away!

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,543 of 2,804
Not to retract anyone from the joy that is a good fountain pen or other exclusive writing instruments... But I present you my favorite ballpoint that I find vastly superior to any pen I have tried.

It's the Pentel Energel BLN35 retractable. It has a non-retractable cousin but the retractables have always sat in my hand much better. I was saddened when I heard that Pentel is discontinuing them however Cultpens seem to still stock them.

What are your favorites from the ballpoint bunch? Or just from more pedestrian writing instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back