Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,547 of 2,803
I have not heard of the piper before, it looks beautiful! Heard many good things about the FC's Very much looking forward to reading your thoughts on both.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,548 of 2,803
Quote:
I have not heard of the piper before, it looks beautiful! Heard many good things about the FC's Very much looking forward to reading your thoughts on both.

From what I know the Piper brand is mostly for international OEM sales or corporate orders. When they have over-runs the stock is sold at 60-70% off MSRP.

Quite honestly I'm sick and tired of purchasing pens in the $500+ range. Every Italian pen I have has started showing me some issues and the extra $$ just for a fancy decoration just isn't worth it. My "cheaper" Lamy and TWSBI pens were workhorses.

I had planned to pick up a F-C 27 Collegia a while back but didn't really like the color selection. This grey tuxedo model is a separate run they did with a Chrome cap and Mourning Dove Grey barrel. I just saw it in the stockroom and for $70 I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm mostly worried about how it will fit in my hands and nib size. I'm 6'1'' 190lbs so I have quite big hands. The MB 146 seems like a natural fit to me... I'm hoping the 27 isn't too small otherwise I'll try to exchange for a 65/66. I'm also afraid of the nib sizing. I ordered a Fine nib and I'm hoping it's more of a TWSBI/LAMY Fine rather than a Sailor/Bexley Fine. The latter would drive me nuts!

The Piper was only $35 but it only comes w/ a Medium nib. I'll probably make it my EDC or something.

Total for both (free shipping over $50) was $104 and some change. Just got tracking today so they will be here on Saturday.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,549 of 2,803
I've been buying and trying pens like they are going out of style or something, as described here. After trying a cheap Platinum Preppy for awhile, I stepped up to a Lamy Vista. It should be arriving any day now. Can't wait to try it.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,550 of 2,803
Quote:
I've been buying and trying pens like they are going out of style or something, as described here. After trying a cheap Platinum Preppy for awhile, I stepped up to a Lamy Vista. It should be arriving any day now. Can't wait to try it.

I really like the LAMY Vista. Any special ink planned for when you get it?

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,552 of 2,803
Quote:
Just picked up a Franklin-Cristoph 27 and Piper Empire Dark Forest. Hopefully will have them by Friday :)

Got the pens today and I'm AMAZED at the quality for the price.

Unfortunately the 27 might be a bit small for my hands....

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,553 of 2,803
Hey, guys,
I'm relatively new to fountain pens, but I've been considering getting one for writing poetry/fiction and the like (I'm just a hobbyist, so... yeah :p), maybe even practicing my calligraphy.

What would be a decent pen to start off with, under $150? I've sort of narrowed my options down to the Sheaffer Intensity Medici, the Waterman Phileas (though it's a bit above my budget), the Parker Sonnet, and the Rotring ArtPen (Like I said, I'm new to this :p).

The list isn't exactly final, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,554 of 2,803
Quote:
Hey, guys,
I'm relatively new to fountain pens, but I've been considering getting one for writing poetry/fiction and the like (I'm just a hobbyist, so... yeah :p), maybe even practicing my calligraphy.

What would be a decent pen to start off with, under $150? I've sort of narrowed my options down to the Sheaffer Intensity Medici, the Waterman Phileas (though it's a bit above my budget), the Parker Sonnet, and the Rotring ArtPen (Like I said, I'm new to this :p).

Thanks!

Sheaffer is nice what about pilot they make good FPs too :D as for the parker sonnet, i didnt really like the nib on it but then again it boils down to preference :D

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,555 of 2,803
Hey, guys,

Thanks!

Though I love vintage Sheaffers I could not hand on heart recommend the modern ones with so many other choices out there. $150 will get you an excellent pen

I recommend this company if your in the US, Brian is a great guy to deal with and you can get all you need in one stop.

From what your saying this might be a good choice, a Namiki Falcon, I have selected the medium nib but they do a fine and broad (Japanese pen nibs tend to run one size smaller than western nibs so the broad would be more like a medium and so on.

This one is good as it has a 'soft' nib which means it will have a little bit of flex which will give you some line variation!

http://www.gouletpens.com/Namiki_Falcon_Medium_Fountain_Pen_p/pn60252.htm

Another fantastic choice and the one I would go for if it were me in your shoes would be Edison pens production line pens. Hand made in the USA you would get an incredible quality fountain pen with a beautiful steel nib for $150 (don't worry about it being steel, Edisons steel nibs are wonderful!) you could get Brian (the owner of Edison) to grind your nib to an italic or stub for a little extra and that would give you wonderful line variation.

I have to be honest, all the pens you mention are OK pens, will last you years, nothing wrong with them but they are no where near as good as the Edison, they are all mass manufactured where as the Edison as I say are all hand made and beautifully so. If your new to fountain pens you really want something that will wow you in terms of fit and finish and writing experience so as to encourage you, the Edisons will do that!

Here is a link to their production line versions, you might want to shoot Brian an email and explain what you want and that you are newish to fountain pens!

http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/Production-Line-Main-Page

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,556 of 2,803
I scored these two days ago at a sale in a dark, unheated outbuilding:

matching red and blue (pearlescent plastic) Esterbrook fountain pens (lever fill) - made in USA

burgundy plastic Wearever Flexfine fountain pen - made in USA

grey/chrome Schaeffer pump fill with wrap-around nib - made in Canada

no gold nibs, but they were only two bucks

I think the Schaeffer will be a keeper if the bladder is intact, and will find that out shortly

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,557 of 2,803
Quote:
I scored these two days ago at a sale in a dark, unheated outbuilding:

matching red and blue (pearlescent plastic) Esterbrook fountain pens (lever fill) - made in USA

burgundy plastic Wearever Flexfine fountain pen - made in USA

grey/chrome Schaeffer pump fill with wrap-around nib - made in Canada

no gold nibs, but they were only two bucks

I think the Schaeffer will be a keeper if the bladder is intact, and will find that out shortly

Umm.. 2 bucks?

Where do people find deals like these???

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,558 of 2,803
Quote:

Just love the way the Piper writes. For $35 I believe it's an excellent deal...

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,559 of 2,803
Quote:
Hey, guys,

Thanks!

The Waterman Phileas are quite in expensive, they're about $20. But since you are starting out, I would recommend you to look into Chinese pens and vintage pens. In particular, the old Waterman and Eversharp. Some Eversharp and Waterman have soft flexible nibs and they are excellent for calligraphy. Modern day pen other than Namiki do not have flex nibs. Oh yes, if you are going to buy a vintage pen make sure the pen is restored unless you want to try restoring pens which can be a lot of fun.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,560 of 2,803
Sadly, I'm not a resident of the States, so obtaining any of those pens would be a bit of a pain :p

I came across a few Lamy pens, and while I found their appearance to be a bit... outre, they were rather fine to write with. And I agree with that comment about modern Sheaffers being a bit... difficult. Luckily for me, the attendants over at my local bookstore were more than willing to let me try out their products in-store. I was a bit shy to ask if I could try the 30,000 peso (around 700 USD?) Parker pen, though :))

The Namiki Falcon is excellent, I think, though the price is a bit intimidating for someone new to fountain pens (re-living my first few days here on Head-Fi, I think XD); I'm going to see if I can pick one up second-hand, but in relatively good condition.

Anyway, what vintage pens (ones that are still easy to obtain) would you recommend? I'd prefer one with a converter, if at all possible. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back